Check your account email address ×

Dozens of former GOP lawmakers announce opposition to Trump

I voted for John Kasich in the primary :news: 

Dozens of former GOP lawmakers announce opposition to Trump

A group of 30 former GOP lawmakers signed a blistering open letter to Republicans on Thursday, warning that Donald Trump lacks the "intelligence" and temperament to be president and urging the party to reject the GOP nominee at the polls on Nov. 8.

The group includes several former lawmakers who have openly opposed Trump from the start, including former Sen. Gordon Humphrey (R-N.H.) and former Rep. Vin Weber (R-Minn.).

But more than half of the former lawmakers on the list are announcing their opposition to Trump for the first time.

The group includes former committee chairmen, lawmakers from swing-states with decades of experience on Capitol Hill, one of the first openly gay members of Congress, and one member who led investigations on Capitol Hill into scandals involving the Clintons.

"Our party's nominee this year is a man who makes a mockery of the principles and values we have cherished and which we sought to represent in Congress," the group said in a statement.

"Given the enormous power of the office, every candidate for president must be judged rigorously in assessing whether he or she has the competence, intelligence, knowledge, understanding, empathy, judgment, and temperament necessary to keep America on a safe and steady course," the letter continues. "Donald Trump fails on each of those measures, and he has proven himself manifestly unqualified to be president."

Among those who signed the letter are swing-state stalwarts like Reps. Bill Clinger (R-Penn.), Jim Leach (R-Iowa), Tom Petri (R-Wis.) and G. William Whitehurst (R-Va.), each of whom spent more than a decade on Capitol Hill.

Petri, the Wisconsin Republican, is a close ally of Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.).

Clinger was the chairman of the Government Reform and Oversight Committee and led House investigations into the Bill Clinton administration's "Filegate" and "Travelgate" controversies.

Leach, a close ally of former Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), spent 30 years in Congress and rose to chairman of the House Banking and Financial Services Committee.

Other former members rejecting Trump include Sherwood Boehlert (R-N.Y.), who chaired the House Science and Technology Committee, Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.), the second openly gay Republican in Congress, Amo Houghton, Jr. (R-N.Y.), who was once the wealthiest member of Congress, and Geoff Davis (R-Ky.), who was consistently among the most conservative Republicans in Congress.

"In nominating Donald Trump, the Republican Party has asked the people of the United States to entrust their future to a man who insults women, mocks the handicapped, urges that dissent be met with violence, seeks to impose religious tests for entry into the United States, and applies a de facto ethnicity test to judges," the group said.

"He offends our allies and praises dictators. His public statements are peppered with lies. He belittles our heroes and insults the parents of men who have died serving our country. Every day brings a fresh revelation that highlights the unacceptable danger in electing him to lead our nation."

The new round of opposition from prominent Republicans actively working to sink their party's nominee comes just 33 days before the election and three days before Trump and Hillary Clinton square off at the second pivotal presidential debate.

Clinton has opened up a clear lead over Trump in the polls and is favorite to win the White House, in part because Trump has been unable to convince skeptical Republicans to get on board with his campaign.

Trump has repeatedly been stung by high-profile defections from Republicans, including military leaders and former administration officials from both Bush presidencies.

The letter from former Republican officials highlights those divisions at a key moment in the race.

"We are proud of our service in the United States Congress and proud that we served in that role as Republicans," the letter states.

"It is in that spirit that, as Donald Trump's unfitness for public office has become ever more apparent, we urge our fellow Republicans not to vote for this man whose disgraceful candidacy is indefensible. This is no longer about our party; it's now about America. We may differ on how we will cast our ballots in November but none of us will vote for Donald Trump."

-- Reid Wilson contributed to this report.

The full list is below:

Steve Bartlett (R-Texas)

Bob Bauman (R-Md.)

Sherwood Boehlert (R-N.Y.)

Jack Buechner (R-Mo.)

Tom Campbell (R-Calif.)

Bill Clinger (R-Penn.)

Tom Coleman (R-Mo.)

Geoff Davis (R-Ky.)

Mickey Edwards (R-Okla.)

Harris Fawell (R-Ill.)

Ed Foreman (R-Texas) (R-NM)

Amo Houghton, Jr. (R-N.Y.)

Gordon Humphrey (Senator, R-N.H.)

Bob Inglis (R-S.C.)

Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.)

Steve Kuykendall (R-Calif.)

Jim Leach (R-Iowa)

Pete McCloskey (R-Calif.)

Connie Morella (R-Md.)

Mike Parker (R-Mo.)

Tom Petri (R-Wis.)

John Porter (R-Ill.)

Claudine Schneider (R-R.I.)

John "Joe" Schwarz (R-Mich.)

Chris Shays (R-Conn.)

Peter Smith (R-Vt.)

Edward Weber (R-Ohio)

Vin Weber (R-Minn.)

G. William Whitehurst (R-Va.)

Dick Zimmer (R-N.J.)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/dozens-of-former-gop-lawmakers-announce-opposition-to-trump/ar-BBx4RHS

42 minutes ago, racer254 said:

There is a reason that these guys are FORMER lawmakers.  They need to know when to STFU.

"Our party's nominee this year is a man who makes a mockery of the principles and values we have cherished and which we sought to represent in Congress," the group said in a statement.

"Given the enormous power of the office, every candidate for president must be judged rigorously in assessing whether he or she has the competence, intelligence, knowledge, understanding, empathy, judgment, and temperament necessary to keep America on a safe and steady course," the letter continues. "Donald Trump fails on each of those measures, and he has proven himself manifestly unqualified to be president."

Jeez!  I just randomly grabbed five names and "googled",  Not one under 70 years old and not one with any real credentials.  Not that that is any big deal but, who is finding these people and somehow making an article out of it?  How many retired politicians vote across party lines during a regular election year (not this abnormal abortion)?

Goodness, the Dems and their media are sure pulling out all the stops on a race everyone in which everyone is so sure Clinton will be the victor.  God damn...I haven't even seen a Trump ad on TV yet.  Shit......I'm almost thinking if Trump dropped out and a potted plant was to replace him, it'd still be too early to call.  :lol:

Come to think of it, the potted plant may actually do better in the debate.  Let her talk more.  Let those lies flow!

Edited by Zambroski
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Jeez!  I just randomly grabbed five names and "googled",  Not one under 70 years old and not one with any real credentials.  Not that that is any big deal but, who is finding these people and somehow making an article out of it?  How many retired politicians vote across party lines during a regular election year (not this abnormal abortion)?

Goodness, the Dems and their media are sure pulling out all the stops on a race everyone in which everyone is so sure Clinton will be the victor.  God damn...I haven't even seen a Trump ad on TV yet.  Shit......I'm almost thinking if Trump dropped out and a potted plant was to replace him, it'd still be too early to call.  :lol:

Come to think of it, the potted plant may actually do better in the debate.  Let her talk more.  Let those lies flow!

Oh Jeez!

BTW, McConnell has come out and said that Trump's numbers have not bottomed yet.

If anyone thinks that very powerful letter those folks wrote has zero impact you are fooling yourself :news: 

Among those who signed the letter are swing-state stalwarts like Reps. Bill Clinger (R-Penn.), Jim Leach (R-Iowa), Tom Petri (R-Wis.) and G. William Whitehurst (R-Va.), each of whom spent more than a decade on Capitol Hill.

Petri, the Wisconsin Republican, is a close ally of Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.).

Clinger was the chairman of the Government Reform and Oversight Committee and led House investigations into the Bill Clinton administration's "Filegate" and "Travelgate" controversies.

Leach, a close ally of former Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), spent 30 years in Congress and rose to chairman of the House Banking and Financial Services Committee.

Other former members rejecting Trump include Sherwood Boehlert (R-N.Y.), who chaired the House Science and Technology Committee, Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.), the second openly gay Republican in Congress, Amo Houghton, Jr. (R-N.Y.), who was once the wealthiest member of Congress, and Geoff Davis (R-Ky.), who was consistently among the most conservative Republicans in Congress.

Impact on who?  I don't see it meaning much to the voters because because there are too much anti-Hillary voters out there.  Maybe it is helping the independents?  :dunno:

Here's something inconsequential and weird I found out too:  Almost all the kids in my daughters HS International Studies class were Pro-Hill for pres during the summer.  After the last debate they voted that Hillary won.  But in another poll for president by the class the same day, Trump won by almost 70%!!  I asked her what she thought and why it happened and she said they were sick of all the lies and everyone trying to cover it up.  Now, this is just crazy HS shit.  But it kinda drove home what most of the nation is thinking. And we are in a pretty liberal town I'd say.  (I wondered for a second why the teacher who is pro-lib (teachers union) didn't start his "indoctrinating"...then I remembered, he knows who I am.  LOL!!!)

So,I think this little junior level example goes back to why the Clinton supporters are trying SOOOOOO hard, hand in hand with the media.  This shit could go sideways on election day!  But, not really...we all know how the electorals are gonna vote...don't we?

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing her new administration dish out all kinds of horse shit to cover up the current horse shit myself.  Hell, if the Dems were smart they might just throw this election to the R's and let Trump take the fall and in the process pretty much take what's left of the R party to the crapper.  :lol:

Edited by Zambroski

58 minutes ago, Sludgey said:

I find it interesting how wince holds all republicans in such high regard now 

Former.  For a good reason.  They apparently are too old or they were not a representation of the voters.  FFS I wish these dems would get a fucking clue.

10 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Former.  For a good reason.  They apparently are too old or they were not a representation of the voters.  FFS I wish these dems would get a fucking clue.

I voted for Kasich, you chose the nut case :lol: 

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I voted for Kasich, you chose the nut case :lol: 

MP, do you understand what I am saying?  Sure trump is far from being a perfect candidate, but this is small steps toward a change in washington.  Can you say the same about clinton or kasich for that matter?

• Platinum Contributing Member

So the former Republican bigwig Vince that is now lapping on Hillarys old labias is using the words of a bunch of washed Republican do nothing hacks to defend his criticism of Trump.....the Dago Red and meat sauce has clogged the arteries to his brain. :lol:

I would say most Republicans hate Trump, not that I give a shit what they think but he is going to need them to get shit done. The Democrats definitely aren't going to help him. 

Just now, Anler said:

I would say most Republicans hate Trump, not that I give a shit what they think but he is going to need them to get shit done. The Democrats definitely aren't going to help him. 

Oh...if they don't hate him...they sure do not want him there.  HE IS NOT ONE OF THEM.  And should he win...he's gonna fix a lot of their pathetic wagons.  Whew...they'd better hope like hell he doesn't win.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Oh...if they don't hate him...they sure do not want him there.  HE IS NOT ONE OF THEM.  And should he win...he's gonna fix a lot of their pathetic wagons.  Whew...they'd better hope like hell he doesn't win.

Again, I don't understand why hillary supporters don't understand this. 

5 hours ago, racer254 said:

MP, do you understand what I am saying?  Sure trump is far from being a perfect candidate, but this is small steps toward a change in washington.  Can you say the same about clinton or kasich for that matter?

#1 Bold: He's a demagogue that does not have the temperament to be POTUS .

Bold #2 Kasich would have a 5-7 point lead now with Ohio being in the bag.

4 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

So the former Republican bigwig Vince that is now lapping on Hillarys old labias is using the words of a bunch of washed Republican do nothing hacks to defend his criticism of Trump.....the Dago Red and meat sauce has clogged the arteries to his brain. :lol:

The Dago Red is good for the cardiovascular system :thumb:

3 hours ago, Anler said:

My committeeman supported Cruz.....I was like WTF dude, the name of the game is someone who could beat HRC...............I'm really tempted to put a HRC sign in the front yard :lol: 

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

The Congress will shrink the powers of the executive office tremendously if he wins, please remember this post if he wins :news:  :bc: 

44 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Can you name the last candidate for POTUS that wasn't?  The primary goal is to start to get rid of the assholes in washington that are causing problems.

Edited by racer254

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

My committeeman supported Cruz.....I was like WTF dude, the name of the game is someone who could beat HRC...............I'm really tempted to put a HRC sign in the front yard :lol: 

The Congress will shrink the powers of the executive office tremendously if he wins, please remember this post if he wins :news:  :bc: 

Vince we get it - you don't like Trump.  However, the fact that many establishment republicans are uneasy with him or don't like him isn't news.   Also, if he wins and Congress 'shrinks' the power of the POTUS -- well good - that would be great to see and an important step of reform in Washington.

5 hours ago, racer254 said:

Can you name the last candidate for POTUS that wasn't?  The primary goal is to start to get rid of the assholes in washington that are causing problems.

You need to look up the definition of demagogue and then comprehend the definition. 

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

Vince we get it - you don't like Trump.  However, the fact that many establishment republicans are uneasy with him or don't like him isn't news.   Also, if he wins and Congress 'shrinks' the power of the POTUS -- well good - that would be great to see and an important step of reform in Washington.

Haha! Wouldn't that be something? If Trump wins in November, Congress comes together and strips the potus of key executive privileged before he gets sworn in. I wouldn't put it passed them... :lol:

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

Haha! Wouldn't that be something? If Trump wins in November, Congress comes together and strips the potus of key executive privileged before he gets sworn in. I wouldn't put it passed them... :lol:

Do you mean executive powers or orders?   Executive privilege is nothing more than withholding information.

Not sure how they could legally strip him of any of his powers.

In the United States government, executive privilege is the power claimed by the President of the United States and other members of the executive branch to resist certain subpoenas and other interventions by thelegislative and judicial branches of government to access information and personnel relating to the executive branch. The concept of executive privilege is not mentioned explicitly in the United States Constitution, but theSupreme Court of the United States ruled it to be an element of the separation of powers doctrine and derived from the supremacy of executive branch in its own area of Constitutional activity

Edited by Highmark

12 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Speaking of that have you ever had a bottle of Apothic Red....under 10 bucks and it's very good. :bc: