Check your account email address ×

Suicide, at 50-year peak, pushes down US life expectancy

• Gold Member

Interesting fact from the OP is our gun stats and deaths is the majority are suicide.....  so gun violence in US is not as bad as some like to claim

—Gun deaths rose for a third year in a row, to nearly 40,000. That's about 1,000 more than in 2016. They had been hovering around 33,500 deaths until a few years ago.

Like in other years, most gun deaths were suicides. Earlier CDC reports have noted increasing rates of suicide by gun. In 2017, it about 60 per cent of them were by gun.

Edited by BOHICA

Liberals without enough safe space? Can't handle the cruel cruel world in front of them.

Financial struggles, a widening income gap and divisive politics are all casting a pall over many Americans, he suggested. "I really do believe that people are increasingly hopeless, and that that leads to drug use, it leads potentially to suicide," he said.

• Like 1

if you are such a panty wast that politics makes,you  sad enough to want to kill your self good riddens. if you would rather be dead than take another job to catch up good riddens. 

and if you are a drug addict why would you sxhoot your self ? that is fucking retarded every good drug adict would much rather OD out. 

3 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Just what I been sayin' for years on FS.com..................America is in a state of social decay. 

If what's causing the decay is systematically eliminating itself, I'm not seeing a problem here. We can use all the help we can get.

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Interesting fact from the OP is our gun stats and deaths is the majority are suicide.....  so gun violence in US is not as bad as some like to claim

—Gun deaths rose for a third year in a row, to nearly 40,000. That's about 1,000 more than in 2016. They had been hovering around 33,500 deaths until a few years ago.

Like in other years, most gun deaths were suicides. Earlier CDC reports have noted increasing rates of suicide by gun. In 2017, it about 60 per cent of them were by gun.

Designed to deceive.

1 minute ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

If what's causing the decay is systematically eliminating itself, I'm not seeing a problem here. We can use all the help we can get.

See, it's like what people think about gqang-bangers killing each other off..............eliminating gang bangers! Ufortunately, it doesn't work that way. 

First of all, when one gang-banger is shot.............another one fills the void instantaneously.

Secondly, gang shootings show no concern for INNOCENT bystanders, thereby taking many young, good people in the process. 

Thirdly, gang shootings cost the TAXPAYER millions in police, and hospital costs. 

You would think the problem would be fixed by now................BUT IT HASN'T BEEN, HAS IT?????

As for opiod deaths and suicide, I live by the mantra " THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I ".          YOUR life could change OVERNIGHT for the worse.

You could get fired tomorrow, get diagnosed with cancer, and your cute wife with big firm tits, and a wicked nice ass, could leave you for a guy 20 years younger than you. 

You could want to cap yourself someday. Bad things happen to GOOD people. 

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

That’s why I suggested Putin was supporting the NRA. 

A loaded gun and a bottle of JD. , it’s your right. 

1 hour ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Liberals without enough safe space? Can't handle the cruel cruel world in front of them.

Financial struggles, a widening income gap and divisive politics are all casting a pall over many Americans, he suggested. "I really do believe that people are increasingly hopeless, and that that leads to drug use, it leads potentially to suicide," he said.

Middle age white males using a gun to the head is the leading demographic. Liberals don’t own guns and blacks/Hispanics rarely kill themselves. Who can’t handle the cruel world? 

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

You and your highway rest stop visits is an excellent example of social decay. 

You sticking your finger in your ass and smelling it, is an example of social decay, AssFingerJoe. 

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/suicide-rate-by-country

check our this chart of suicide by country. It shocking. Iraq, Syria and a bunch of the Stans are way lower than Canada and the US.   Maybe they’re too busy getting killed to contemplate suicide. 

Edited by revkevsdi

• Platinum Contributing Member

More doctors telling more people they have mental issues and putting them on meds.  

Edited by Highmark

46 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/suicide-rate-by-country

check our this chart of suicide by country. It shocking. Iraq, Syria and a bunch of the Stans are way lower than Canada and the US.   Maybe they’re too busy getting killed to contemplate suicide. 

Huffpo article 

Atheism Has a Suicide Problem

Staks Rosch, Contributor
Staks Rosch is a vocal atheist, humanist, progressive, and Jedi.
12/08/2017 08:59 AM ET
|
Updated Dec 08, 2017
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Depression is a serious problem with in the greater atheist community and far too often, that depression has led to suicide. This is something many of my fellow atheists often don’t like to admit, but it is true. I know a lot of atheists, myself included, would all like to believe that atheists are happier people than religious believers and in many ways we are. But we also have to accept the reality that in some very important ways we are not.

If you dont want to live I fully support your right to exit stage left. There should be assisted suicide stations on every street corner. Life is not unique or precious. Its not a gift or something to be clung to. Its random and common......if you dont like it why suffer at all. Just get the fuck out

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

If you dont want to live I fully support your right to exit stage left. There should be assisted suicide stations on every street corner. Life is not unique or precious. Its not a gift or something to be clung to. Its random and common......if you dont like it why suffer at all. Just get the fuck out

57 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Huffpo article 

Atheism Has a Suicide Problem

Staks Rosch, Contributor
Staks Rosch is a vocal atheist, humanist, progressive, and Jedi.
12/08/2017 08:59 AM ET
|
Updated Dec 08, 2017
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Depression is a serious problem with in the greater atheist community and far too often, that depression has led to suicide. This is something many of my fellow atheists often don’t like to admit, but it is true. I know a lot of atheists, myself included, would all like to believe that atheists are happier people than religious believers and in many ways we are. But we also have to accept the reality that in some very important ways we are not.

You go with that. :lol: 

8 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

You go with that. :lol: 

Not me....real world statistics. 

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.161.12.2303

CONCLUSIONS: Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Not me....real world statistics. 

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.161.12.2303

CONCLUSIONS: Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention.

So the middle age, middle to middle upper class white males who are offing themselves in droves are atheists? Huh. How about that.  

5 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

So the middle age, middle to middle upper class white males who are offing themselves in droves are atheists? Huh. How about that.  

You saying the article is wrong? :lmao: This isn't the only one. 

Suicide rates are lower in religious countries than in secular ones (1, 2). Some of this difference may be due to underreporting in religious countries because of concerns over stigma (3)

Edited by Highmark