Check your account email address ×

Dow futures fall, suggesting stock-market bloodletting may not be over

Just now, Snoslinger said:

I'd guess less than $50K a year. 

That is a reasonable number. My guess is they are in their mid 70’s. 

They arent doing much outside the home if their yearly spend is under $50k per year.  There is nothing wrong with that just being realistic. 

10 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

and you couldn't estimate what they may spend a day? i guess that isn't too surprising, taking everything into consideration :lol:

Exactly I'm not worried about what everybody else is doing like you are

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

That is a reasonable number. My guess is they are in their mid 70’s. 

They arent doing much outside the home if their yearly spend is under $50k per year.  There is nothing wrong with that just being realistic. 

well they didn't buy an expensive motor home, travel for weeks on end all over the world, fly to denver to see foo fighters, spend big bucks seeing donny and marie and joining their fan club... :lol: in other words, there like most other americans. they do some traveling, some fun things retired couples do. 

disclaimer: i am not jealous, i am not implying you don't deserve any of that. i am implying most americans will not have those same luxuries, will not have several hundred grand in the bank, and will not spend $200 a day in retirement, and should not be consider poor if they don't.

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

well they didn't buy an expensive motor home, travel for weeks on end all over the world, fly to denver to see foo fighters, spend big bucks seeing donny and marie and joining their fan club... :lol: in other words, there like most other americans. they do some traveling, some fun things retired couples do. 

disclaimer: i am not jealous, i am not implying you don't deserve any of that. i am implying most americans will not have those same luxuries, will not have several hundred grand in the bank, and will not spend $200 a day in retirement, and should not be consider poor if they don't.

All true except one thing. I couldnt afford the Donnie and Marie fan club membership. Didnt fit into the budget. 

Otherwise. :bc:  

lol. 

My dad had a pension and they both got SS. I bet they took in less than 50k a year and did just fine. Didn’t have 200g’s in the bank either. But house and cars were paid off.

I always thought they did pretty well, definately above average IMO.

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

:lol: you are so wrong

How could you not have more money than me?

You= Dual income. 1 kid. 1 college to pay for. No expensive hobbies. 

Me= single income. 3 kids. 3 colleges paid for. Dozens of super expensive hobbies. 

You are a degreed engineer, same as me. You are only a couple of years younger than I am. You are likely the same age I was when I retired.  How is it possible you havent earned/saved enough to retire within a few years?  

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Everybody has way more money than Tom yet he retired in his 50’s....seems legit.🧐

Well. Dave, momo, vince, highmark, AC, slinger, sludgy, every canadian on this forum and a lot more all have more money than I do. 

3 minutes ago, Edmo said:

My dad had a pension and they both got SS. I bet they took in less than 50k a year and did just fine. Didn’t have 200g’s in the bank either. But house and cars were paid off.

I always thought they did pretty well, definately above average IMO.

Pension is different, its a steady for life income.  Tom's points are for those who don't.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Pension is different, its a steady for life income.  Tom's points are for those who don't.

Exactly and I said that at the very beginning. 

Im not sure why some of these guys think $200 per day is baller status. Almost everyone on this forum spends that or more and since Huizy left there is only one baller around. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Honestly if you are down to just the standard monthly bills and don't have massive RE taxes or loan payments one can live pretty damn good on $5000 (after taxes) a month.  

Utilities, phone, sat, food for a couple could easily be under $1000 mo.   $4000 for the rest is living damn nice in my area.  

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

How could you not have more money than me?

You= Dual income. 1 kid. 1 college to pay for. No expensive hobbies. 

Me= single income. 3 kids. 3 colleges paid for. Dozens of super expensive hobbies. 

You are a degreed engineer, same as me. You are only a couple of years younger than I am. You are likely the same age I was when I retired.  How is it possible you havent earned/saved enough to retire within a few years?  

well, in a nut shell....i don't work for big oil in alaska. i also made the mistake of going into manufacturing engineering, rather than some of the better paying sectors. i love what i do though, and i make decent money. but the salary ranges in this sector are not sky high. none of the places i've worked (some fortune 100) even offered pensions, so there's that. we also put our kid through an expensive college, have blown quite a bit of money having fun. we are not broke, and will have a decent nest egg, hopefully. 

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Exactly and I said that at the very beginning. 

Im not sure why some of these guys think $200 per day is baller status. Almost everyone on this forum spends that or more and since Huizy left there is only one baller around. 

Moonrunner? :snack:

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Honestly if you are down to just the standard monthly bills and don't have massive RE taxes or loan payments one can live pretty damn good on $5000 (after taxes) a month.  

Utilities, phone, sat, food for a couple could easily be under $1000 mo.   $4000 for the rest is living damn nice in my area.  

yes. Its living nice no doubt but not baller status. Not living large.  You are living a modest life  

Its $165 per day.