Check your account email address ×

Does lug height change the final drive ratio on a snowmobile

f7ben

Just now, Legend said:

Where did I say he was wrong? 

In fact I said he was right. But 95% of that post had nothing to do with the result.

actually the majority of the content of that post was very relevant to Crushers claim that belt thickness indeed changes the ratio ....Crusher was wrong

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

dave drew and jasmings did and it was the most pathetic thing I had ever seen .....I instantly demanded that Jammings march right down to that private engineering school that he dumped 100k at for Drew's degree and get his money back :lol:

It was with a track.  It was fucking hilarious   Gayeve had his velcro shoes in and jeans and it was probably 90*+ out :lol:

Dreaux need to post the video 

1 minute ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

It was with a track.  It was fucking hilarious   Gayeve had his velcro shoes in and jeans and it was probably 90*+ out :lol:

Dreaux need to post the video 

my god was it pathetic :lol: Drew would have been kicked out of school if any of his instructors saw that shit

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Someone should punch Jamben right in his cocksucker for raising such a dummy :lol:

Who in the end all still thought it made a difference?

MachZnot, Neal, Jammin and Vince?

Just now, Highmark said:

Who in the end all still thought it made a difference?

MachZnot, Neal, Jammin and Vince?

znot never got it...Neal was clinging to the lug flick but he knew it was bullshit :lol: nobody else that I can think of....eventually everyone realized how dumb they were 

6 hours ago, Highmark said:

However, my old speed track was 3.29 pitch and there were two sprocket teeth between each lug, the front side of the first lug was under load during acceleration, the back side of the second lug was under load during braking.  In this case a 12 tooth 3.29 sprocket has only 6 driving teeth.  The beauty of that is - with the speed tracks and stainless plates on the inside of the track, you could place the stud head and plate right between the sprocket teeth and run rows of studs inline with the sprockets.  When you try to do this on a 2.52 pitch track, the stud heads and plates get into the way of the sprocket teeth.  I know this is not the case with the 0.525 profile grouser bar tracks because you can use a stud with a flush profile head that can be run inline with the sprocket teeth but then you need to run the hyfax right on the rubber and in speed runs that means lots of slide rail lube – tanks, pumps, battery.

I realize that some of the present day tracks are convolute drive or combination of involute and convolute.  REGARDLESS – the pitch diameter of the track/sprocket combination is the same as the neutral axis in the track band or carcass.  The neutral axis is the same location as the tensile cord in the track.  Otherwise as the track bends around the sprocket, the cord would try to stretch and compress and that would lead to cord separation and track failure. If I remember correctly, the neutral axis is approx 45% of the distance from the inner surface of the track band to the outer surface of the track band.  The thickness of the track band is the thinnest section of the track, the majority of the track band thickness not counting where embossments and such are located.

Some feature on the convolute sprocket will support the inside surface of the track.  Either it’s the round cylinder just inside the sprocket teeth or it could be were the track clips sit in the base of the sprocket teeth – which makes it more difficult to determine sprocket effective OD, track thickness, and neutral axis location.   Regardless, the sprocket designer has taken this into account so all the driving teeth on the sprocket have even contact on the track lugs as the track bends around the sprockets.

Show me how any of this has to do with final drive?

Yes the center of the track is the axis. But what about the rest?

1 minute ago, Legend said:

Show me how any of that has to do with final drive?

The center of the track may be the axis but in a tracked vehicle application that doesnt matter in the least.....the only portion of the rotation that matters is along the flat axis of the rail and the inside and outside of the belt are moving at identical rates there

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The center of the track may be the axis but in a tracked vehicle application that doesnt matter in the least.....the only portion of the rotation that matters is along the flat axis of the rail and the inside and outside of the belt are moving at identical rates there

No shit genius. How would the center of track move at a different rate than the inside or outside?

Edited by Legend

Just now, Legend said:

No shit genius. How would the center off track move at a different rate than the inside or outside?

My post was made in response to Crusher's repeated claims that belt thickness indeed affects final drive ratio .....if you are smart enough to agree with me very good then

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

Show me how any of this has to do with final drive?

In my opinion he was mainly talking about calculating the final constant in the puzzle.   Drive sprocket diam or pitch diameter.   Its the only piece of the puzzle that has somewhat of a variable.   Its really not that hard to comprehend what he was getting across.  I asked him a very simple question and like any engineer a simple answer doesn't always follow. :lmao:

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

In my opinion he was mainly talking about calculating the final constant in the puzzle.   Drive sprocket diam or pitch diameter.   Its the only piece of the puzzle that has somewhat of a variable.   Its really not that hard to comprehend what he was getting across.  I asked him a very simple question and like any engineer a simple answer doesn't always follow. :lmao:

A 7 tooth 2.86 drive gear can only be one diameter. Same for a 8 tooth 2.86, or a 9 tooth 2.52, etc. 

So comparing apples to apples, a different lug track on the same tooth drive of the same pitch, it makes absolutely no difference. 

edit. maybe you were saying the same thing and i just didn't read it right?

if so, ben is still a faggot

Edited by Legend

8 minutes ago, Legend said:

A 7 tooth 2.86 drive gear can only be one diameter. Same for a 8 tooth 2.86, or a 9 tooth 2.52, etc. 

So comparing apples to apples, a different lug track on the same tooth drive of the same pitch, it makes absolutely no difference. 

edit. maybe you were saying the same thing and i just didn't read it right?

if so, ben is still a faggot

Again I think he was mainly referencing the difference between the convolute and involute driver types pending where the drive sprocket tooth is in contact with the track (pitch diameter) and really talking about tolerances.  He somewhat missed the constant reference I gave him but in the end he was correct saying lug height doesn't change final drive ratio.