Check your account email address ×

U.S. goods trade deficit rises as exports fall

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

This will be interesting to watch. 

It was always about the trade deficit. Fixing the deficit. Other countries stealing from the US. Can’t wait to see what the narrative changes to when he can’t reduce it. 

There will be some doozy excuses here shortly :lol: 

40 minutes ago, frenchy said:

It was always about the trade deficit. Fixing the deficit. Other countries stealing from the US. Can’t wait to see what the narrative changes to when he can’t reduce it. 

best to just do nothing and hope it all works out on its own right? 

oh look more storys on the local news tonight about the shortage of trades workers and how contractors are giving huge dining bonuses and building there own schools to entice young workers  

odd I don't rember any story's like this at all let alone every week for the past 13 yrs . odd 

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

the fact that other counterys have been gettingbthe long end of the stock for decades when it comes to US trade policy or lack there of 

lol I do love story time with trump and those who swallow it as fact. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

:lol:   I have to laugh at the ignorance here.   

1. Trade deals are just being done.

2. Strong dollar has a large impact on imports/exports.  

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lol:   I have to laugh at the ignorance here.   

1. Trade deals are just being done.

2. Strong dollar has a large impact on imports/exports.  

So in 2 years the trade deficit will be: 

1. Significantly lower 

2. Significantly higher 

3. Roughly the same +/- $50-75B

:dunno: 

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

1. Significantly lower 

2. Significantly higher 

Tough to say because the strength of the dollar plays such a significant role.   I'm not as fixated on the number as a deficit or surplus as I am wanting to see our products get a fair shake (equal tariffs).   The deficit as a number plays well in politics but fair trade is fair trade even if we run a large deficit.   American can't come close to producing all we consume.   We will always run a trade deficit but that doesn't mean we shouldn't demand equal or at least fair markets for our products.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Highmark said:

Tough to say because the strength of the dollar plays such a significant role.   I'm not as fixated on the number as a deficit or surplus as I am wanting to see our products get a fair shake (equal tariffs).   The deficit as a number plays well in politics but fair trade is fair trade even if we run a large deficit.   American can't come close to producing all we consume.   We will always run a trade deficit but that doesn't mean we shouldn't demand equal or at least fair markets for our products.  

That’s a fair answer. And my point was mainly the trade deficit is overblown and trumps fixation on it is stupid. 

6 minutes ago, frenchy said:

1. Significantly lower 

2. Significantly higher 

You need to include proper metrics to measure that. Looking at year to year with a vastly different strength of dollar is disingenuous. If the dollar is drastically higher and we have a slightly better trade deficit ($50-$75B) then when it was drastically lower, that is a pretty big deal. Also, measuring the trade deficit before tariffs are even empirically measurable is foolish. Right now tariffs are effecting projections and future strategy, not the actual physical sum. This isn’t a 6 mo or 1 yr process. This sort of policy fleshes out over years. 

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Gets it. 

6 minutes ago, frenchy said:

That’s a fair answer. And my point was mainly the trade deficit is overblown and trumps fixation on it is stupid. 

Its politics dude.   If you pay attention his real goal of which he has stated a number of times is equal tariffs.  Its obvious many don't have the slightest clue what all goes into trade balance and the deficit rings home whether its the important factor or not.  

Edited by Highmark

3 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

You need to include proper metrics to measure that. Looking at year to year with a vastly different strength of dollar is disingenuous. If the dollar is drastically higher and we have a slightly better trade deficit ($50-$75B) then when it was drastically lower, that is a pretty big deal. Also, measuring the trade deficit before tariffs are even empirically measurable is foolish. Right now tariffs are effecting projections and future strategy, not the actual physical sum. This isn’t a 6 mo or 1 yr process. This sort of policy fleshes out over years. 

I realize that. 

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Does it ever.:lol:

3 hours ago, frenchy said:

Trump has also created an anti US sentiment on buying American products on trade. Just as rooms in the trump towers are being discounted for s reason. 

14 hours ago, frenchy said:

trump, and damn near all his followers, don't grasp the trade deficit concept. they think the US is getting screwed on all that money :lol: