Check your account email address ×

Iron Dog done?

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

The problem with long distance CC races is that they are not conducive to crowds of paying spectators. 

True.  But, it's not just that.  There has to be a way to deliver this to the masses who cannot/will not drive to the race.  It's a bit of an expensive logistical problem.  Use of drones and strategicly placed cameras along some of the more technical terrain along with rider cameras would work well but then, you have editing (nobody is gonna watch hours and hours of racing) and again, $$$$$,  SX type racing can do well because of the smaller tracks and short exciting races that are easy to film and edit.  

It sucks.I wish there was an answer but if the ones in charge can't figure it out, it is what it is.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I think Cain's Quest is down to every other year. Could that be an option for ID? Maybe opposite years of the CQ?

Does Team Maine run  that as well as The Iron Dog?

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

9 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The problem with long distance CC races is that they are not conducive to crowds of paying spectators. 

Agreed.  They should consider teaming up with some mx track owners where you could bring some snow makers in when needed, but have room to bring in spectators, and have 2-3-4 minute laptimes, instead of these 20-30 second deals which are ridiculous, or as you said, a cross country race where there are no crowds..  

Just now, DriftBusta said:

Agreed.  They should consider teaming up with some mx track owners where you could bring some snow makers in when needed, but have room to bring in spectators, and have 2-3-4 minute laptimes, instead of these 20-30 second deals which are ridiculous, or as you said, a cross country race where there are no crowds..  

They did that "Red Bull Challenge" here a couple years back.  I went with a buddy that raced it.  It was a bit of a shit show but, it was a nice mix of terrain and it had a nice viewing area over a mile or so of cut SX/CC style track.  Then, the riders dissappeared for the 5-8 miles until they came back around.  I thought it was excellent!  But, didn't make it to the second year in spite of what I saw were hundreds of entrance fees and a massive crowd that is usually only seen at SX races.

Beats the fuck outa me???

10 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

One rideable day last year. And that was questionable. 

Southern 1/2 of WI has been awful for what seems like the last 3+ years.  Northern has been okay but the temp fluctuations just screw everything up. 

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Quiet now.  Snowmobilers are talking here, not 50 something year old posers on kids sleds.  :news: 

Hahaha...that is priceless coming from a guy that brags about his trail racing prowess on a regular basis and FTR my kids sled is actually X Country Race Ready out of the box while you are frogging on the trails with SKS's and other such bullshit...oh but wait....I forgot that venturing offtrail a few yards and getting stuck for hours is considered "mountain riding" to the ECDL....what a dipshit! :lol:

Now get back to working on that political loyalty oath required for membership in The Fagalaggio! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ckf said:

They ran the ID just once, I think?

2 or 3 times but the logistics suck

End of the day so few people care about this stuff survival of any of these races is doubtful.  Sponsors don't get any real value out of it unless you can use it to draw people into some other venture your running to make money which is why we have seen some of the player like Long Pond, Parlin and Pittston run them in Maine but reality is i don't think they even see a return on investment.  if someones spending the time to go up to these areas when there is snow on the ground they want to ride not stand around watching people ride.  

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

2 or 3 times but the logistics suck

End of the day so few people care about this stuff survival of any of these races is doubtful.  Sponsors don't get any real value out of it unless you can use it to draw people into some other venture your running to make money which is why we have seen some of the player like Long Pond, Parlin and Pittston run them in Maine but reality is i don't think they even see a return on investment.  if someones spending the time to go up to these areas when there is snow on the ground they want to ride not stand around watching people ride.  

Tom could speak to this but other than in the villages, the start and the finish I don't think the ID is really about spectators.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Tom could speak to this but other than in the villages, the start and the finish I don't think the ID is really about spectators.

then what value is there to sponsors which ultimately becomes the reason these things fail

• Like 1

Just now, Angry ginger said:

then what value is there to sponsors which ultimately becomes the reason these things fail

Again Tom could speak to this  better as I'm not familiar with all the sponsors and what their exposure is during the race. 

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

The National Guard was the last major title sponsor. If they can get a handful of village kids to sign up to give their life fighting for freedom then its money well spent........  :news: 

Well yeah but that sounds like a way out the village as well...help pay for schooling as well as long they can avoid getting killed or maimed in some place we have no business being. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well yeah but that sounds like a way out the village as well...help pay for schooling as well as long they can avoid getting killed or maimed in some place we have no business being. 

Roger that to all of the above. :bc:

12 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The National Guard was the last major title sponsor. If they can get a handful of village kids to sign up to give their life fighting for freedom then its money well spent........  :news: 

Not likely if Franky has gotten to them.

:lol: