Check your account email address ×

How to put an end to vacation shaming

• Platinum Contributing Member

I just got totally harassed by my employer for taking this past Friday off to bring my daughter to a lacrosse tournament she was in...to the point where the controller who monitors vacation came into my office with 3 years of history.. I'm betting that Monday I get fired.. never went over my days, my start date is next week, so I re-up...never went over my days, in 24yrs I have called in 4 times,..and it's a family owened company that supposedly cares and understands my being a single full time parent..

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I just got totally harassed by my employer for taking this past Friday off to bring my daughter to a lacrosse tournament she was in...to the point where the controller who monitors vacation came into my office with 3 years of history.. I'm betting that Monday I get fired.. never went over my days, my start date is next week, so I re-up...never went over my days, in 24yrs I have called in 4 times,..and it's a family owened company that supposedly cares and understands my being a single full time parent..

You need a labor union...  that bullshit wouldn’t fly

5 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

That sucks ass. During the early days of my career I had a control freak boss. I wouldn’t work for him. That was also a family owned business. 

I used to get harassed and still have buddies that continue to get harassed about trying to take more than a few days at a time.  They all get big checks for unused vacation time at the end of the year....and don’t like it.  Vacation is frowned upon in the corporate ranks.  What a bunch of bullshit!

My wife had 12 weeks paid maternity when we had our child, she was back at work in three.

:wall:

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Doubt they'll fire you, you have more rights than I think you know. 

As for myself I don't give a specific reason for taking time off I have coming to me, I just say it's personnel issues.

42 minutes ago, Snake said:

I take my 7 weeks whether I want to or not.

10 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

You need a labor union...  that bullshit wouldn’t fly

Glad some people appreciate their union.

12 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

When did you tell them you needed the day off?  If they require you to be flexible then they need to be as well.

Just now, Stephen Hawking said:

Doubt they'll fire you, you have more rights than I think you know. 

As for myself I don't give a specific reason for taking time off I have coming to me, I just say it's personnel issues.

Pretty sure it is coming

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Glad some people appreciate their union.

My union is good...  it sets the standard for non union as well in my field.  So if I was to go non union I wouldn’t see much of any difference in working conditions, pay or bennies.

Edited by BOHICA

11 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I used to get harassed and still have buddies that continue to get harassed about trying to take more than a few days at a time.  They all get big checks for unused vacation time at the end of the year....and don’t like it.  Vacation is frowned upon in the corporate ranks.  What a bunch of bullshit!

My wife had 12 weeks paid maternity when we had our child, she was back at work in three.

:wall:

Big boys should be able to manage their own time and take vacation or personal time off without affecting schedules.  Some even like to sub stat holidays for other days to avoid crowds.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Big boys should be able to manage their own time and take vacation or personal time off without affecting schedules.  Some even like to sub stat holidays for other days to avoid crowds.

I have always worked holidays. There’s nothing like a Tuesday at the beach and no one else is there. Or Bear Tooth Pass with zero traffic. 

28 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Suck it up buttercup! That's capitalism! 👍👍

3 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Suck it up buttercup! That's capitalism! 👍👍

No need to bring politics into it..A lot more to the story, nothing to do that..Some shit happened between the owners grandson ( heroin addict, not an employee) and myself 2 weeks ago,..120mi away doing my job and I get a text he is rummaging around my office,.. needless to say , I got back in 90min, he was there still, so that happened..:ashamed:

15 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

No need to bring politics into it..A lot more to the story, nothing to do that..Some shit happened between the owners grandson ( heroin addict, not an employee) and myself 2 weeks ago,..120mi away doing my job and I get a text he is rummaging around my office,.. needless to say , I got back in 90min, he was there still, so that happened..:ashamed:

If workers owned the means of production it wouldn't be this way anywhere. 

15 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Damn, bruh!  How does he know you keep your herion stash in your office?  Or really, why does he know that?

:lol:

• Haha 1

When i was still employed i used to get three 3 week vacations per year. Add to that the two weeks off per month we got and i had a lot of time off.  Obviously being away from my family for two weeks per month is the price I had to pay.

Being mostly unemployed now makes vacations an every day activity.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

That sucks shit. But I kinda know the feeling . My last employer turfed me over a medical condition after 7 years. Even tho they were supportive and understanding at the beginning.  I never even took my holidays really. 3 weeks in 7 years    . But as soon as the owners son got into a higher position, he fired me lol. But jokes on them..regards put everything in a letter and gave it to me ,human rights is all over it 

22 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

If workers owned the means of production it wouldn't be this way anywhere. 

I do, I'm in sales, the only traveler, I produce very well, it's family owned, doesn't matter if you're the best employee, it's all personal opinion

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I do, I'm in sales, the only traveler, I produce very well, it's family owned, doesn't matter if you're the best employee, it's all personal opinion

Been there too long and you're making too much. Cutting in on grandson's smack fund.

31 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

When i was still employed i used to get three 3 week vacations per year. Add to that the two weeks off per month we got and i had a lot of time off.  Obviously being away from my family for two weeks per month is the price I had to pay.

Being mostly unemployed now makes vacations an every day activity.  

Thats tough and lots of family supports needed.