Check your account email address ×

12,000 student deaths.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Nobody is saying we don't need to do more to stop school shootings but lets put the numbers in perspective.

In order for the murders per 100,000 students to equal Chicago's rate of around 16 per 100,000 there would need to be 12,000 students killed.  As many have noted Chicago doesn't have the nations highest murder rate.

Currently there have been around 30 real mass shooting deaths in 2018 including college and HS.   There are around 75 million students in the US K thru college.  This leaves the murder per 100,000 at .04.   Less than half of 1 tenth of 1 percent.  Hopefully schools aren't scaring the shit out of kids with the "danger."  

Schools are still one of the safest places for kids to be.  

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Nobody is saying we don't need to do more to stop school shootings but lets put the numbers in perspective.

In order for the murders per 100,000 students to equal Chicago's rate of around 16 per 100,000 there would need to be 12,000 students killed.  As many have noted Chicago doesn't have the nations highest murder rate.

Currently there have been around 30 real mass shooting deaths in 2018 including college and HS.   There are around 75 million students in the US K thru college.  This leaves the murder per 100,000 at .04.   Less than half of 1 tenth of 1 percent.  Hopefully schools aren't scaring the shit out of kids with the "danger."  

Schools are still one of the safest places for kids to be.  

What perspective should we have on the number of kids killed in schools?

Neal

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

What perspective should we have on the number of kids killed in schools?

Neal

That an infintesimaly small number of school deaths will not be coopted by radical gun control freaks into a means for guilting people into giving up their rights.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Ok good, so we are just down to a number killed then, not the idea itself?

Neal

We are left to do what we can to educate kids on bullying and treating mental illness and spotting the signs of troubled individuals and getting them the help they need. Gun control is a non starter no matter how many die

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

How do we educate on bullying beyond what we already do?

Treating mental illness how?  What qualifies as mental ilness?

How do we spot those troubled individuals?  How is help deployed?

So it is the idea of any gun control.  Understood.

Neal

I laugh every time I hear that a better job needs to be done with mental illness or bullying. It’s as ridiculous as listening to the idiots that want to ban all guns. 

7 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

How do we educate on bullying beyond what we already do?

Treating mental illness how?  What qualifies as mental ilness?

How do we spot those troubled individuals?  How is help deployed?

So it is the idea of any gun control.  Understood.

Neal

I see the issues I outlined as the only places any progress at all could be made. Metal detectors??? I am fine with that. 

No fucking gun control

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I laugh every time I hear that a better job needs to be done with mental illness or bullying. It’s as ridiculous as listening to the idiots that want to ban all guns. 

For sure we could do a better job with bullying. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

For sure we could do a better job with bullying. 

Maybe white bread America could learn a lesson from the mean street schools. There’s no mass shooting down there. They have some serious bullying issues too. 

13 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Maybe white bread America could learn a lesson from the mean street schools. There’s no mass shooting down there. They have some serious bullying issues too. 

I have a theory and possible solution but, you'd hate it.  :lol:

15 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Plenty of guns as well.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Plenty of guns as well.  

17 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

No doubt

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

No. Lower rates of mental illness and a higher level of resiliency with inner city kids. 

Could be.   Way more violence in general. 

9 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Ok good, so we are just down to a number killed then, not the idea itself?

Neal

Gotta have so many fatalities at an intersection before they put a traffic light in. Govt you know. 

9 hours ago, spin_dry said:

No. Lower rates of mental illness and a higher level of resiliency with inner city kids. 

No.  "lower rates of mental illness"?  :lol: Maybe just lower reported rates.  There are many other reasons.  The "higher levels of resilieincy" are because of more frequesnt outlets for stress.  Let the air out of the ballon slowly before it overinflates.

7 hours ago, racer254 said:

That's because it would put him and many in his line of business out of a job.

It's comical.  "Counselors are all standing by...to help you understand why you should be sad, stay sad, and why you shouldn't NOT be sad."

We are raising helpless victims.

3 hours ago, motonoggin said:

32892525_1787958881287110_8581300930345959424_o.jpg

This was just stupid.  I notice you are making a full-court press toward radicalism at the cost of any amount of integrity as of late.  Slow your roll playa!

24 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

No.  "lower rates of mental illness"?  :lol: Maybe just lower reported rates.  There are many other reasons.  The "higher levels of resilieincy" are because of more frequesnt outlets for stress.  Let the air out of the ballon slowly before it overinflates.

It's comical.  "Counselors are all standing by...to help you understand why you should be sad, stay sad, and why you shouldn't NOT be sad."

We are raising helpless victims.

This was just stupid.  I notice you are making a full-court press toward radicalism at the cost of any amount of integrity as of late.  Slow your roll playa!

Many government run programs need "victims".  Otherwise, they couldn't exist and yes, it is comical that no one realizes it.

22 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Many government run programs need "victims".  Otherwise, they couldn't exist and yes, it is comical that no one realizes it.

"Many" meaning most.  LEO is similar just on the conservative side of things.  "War on drugs".  Hmmm....how many LEO's are employed to keep this war going?  The DEA is a little referenced monster of government waste.  

Another lame attempt to blame everything except American gun culture for mass shootings.  Btw. This is your biggest month so far this year and it’s not even over yet. 

Congrats Merca. 

11 hours ago, spin_dry said:

After you’re done laughing - do you have a solution or perspective to add to this issue? :dunno: