Check your account email address ×

California Becomes First State to Order Solar on New Homes

26 minutes ago, f7ben said:

So you're saying it doesnt make sense to mandate solar where the sun doesnt shine :lol: great point snowrider 

Why are you so mad today... more frustrated than usual?

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Schmeeve from Schmamherst probably doesn't remember how many subsidies were required to get petroleum production going in the US way back when.

I understand it. I just don't agree with subsidies, for people or corperations / industries.

16 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Some things need to be helped along in their infancy , I have no problem with that if it's long term outlook is promising . 

So should taxpayers money be used to help out the recreational weed industry , being in it's infancy and all ?

15 year return on investment??  :lol:   

Try and get any bean counter to sign off on that if you are requesting a capital expenditure.  It needs to be 2 or 3 years.  Maybe 5 if it's for some progressive feel good initiative for the brain dead.  

And here is why you need the subsidy .

For the average installation, the authors found that solar panels added a $20,194 premium to the sales price of the house based on repeat sales data (houses were in the mid-$500,000 range). Solar is really expensive to install—the average total system cost is $35,967, but the effective price to homeowners with subsidies including the federal tax credit is $20,892. Thus, homeowners appear to recover approximately 97% of their investment costs – in addition to the savings associated with reduced energy bills.

I just love how the Librulz back every single peice of idiocy from the G'ment like good little sheep.  "For the greater good"....ahhhh, liberal fascism!  Excellent.

I know this was a thread on HCS but I tried to see what solar would cost me on my house.  What a fucking joke.  I NEVER could calculate an investment return with what the solar companies told me to factor in for maintenance, and the upfront costs were STAGGERING.  I don't mean just a few thousand extra....think 10's of thousands...at leas FOUR!  Not to mention...it was recommended I had a solid enough alternative powered generator for the "unforseen down time".  :lol:

"Hello, MN Power, yeah....we're going with plan B...THANKS!!!!!!!!"

OH.....and what fucking ass-watered, wooden head idiot compared this legislation to the seat belt law?  I don't want to go back and check.  I mean COMPLETE FUCKING IDIOCY!!!!!!!!!!!

41 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Says the man who dosnt believe he has to live under capitalism. This place never stops producing comedy.

I just said what everyone tells me when I point out the flaws in capitalism.

Don't like it? Leave.

• Gold Member
28 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I just love how the Librulz back every single peice of idiocy from the G'ment like good little sheep.  "For the greater good"....ahhhh, liberal fascism!  Excellent.

I know this was a thread on HCS but I tried to see what solar would cost me on my house.  What a fucking joke.  I NEVER could calculate an investment return with what the solar companies told me to factor in for maintenance, and the upfront costs were STAGGERING.  I don't mean just a few thousand extra....think 10's of thousands...at leas FOUR!  Not to mention...it was recommended I had a solid enough alternative powered generator for the "unforseen down time".  :lol:

"Hello, MN Power, yeah....we're going with plan B...THANKS!!!!!!!!"

OH.....and what fucking ass-watered, wooden head idiot compared this legislation to the seat belt law?  I don't want to go back and check.  I mean COMPLETE FUCKING IDIOCY!!!!!!!!!!!

DIY grid tied kit...  pretty cheap 6-7 year pay back.  Solar install company are there to make a profit

When I build I'm probably going to do an oversized solar array so I don't have to be tied to the grid. 

I'll never get that money back, but I'm also purchasing independence from the power company. 

That's worth more than just the price of the panels. It's the intangibles that make it worth it.

8 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

You know guys, sometimes things are worth doing even if they don't have a good ROI.

No, money is literally the only thing of any value Moto. Come on, get your head in the game.

1 hour ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

CA has electricity shortages all the time . The enviornment is being destroyed to create hydro dams to produce electricity .  When blackouts occur due to electricity shortages , the blacks run wild and pillage until the sun comes out the next morning .    These reasons make this a viable building code .

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

No they don’t.

Hmmm... I'll have to tell my friends in California that. Also they have water shortages and periods of severe drought which make hydro dams a poor choice. Electrical independence is now a bad thing I guess cuz the power company won't be able to fuck you over as much?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_electricity_crisis

13 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

You know guys, sometimes things are worth doing even if they don't have a good ROI.

Agreed.  But at a point, it's just throwing money away unless it fits into one's needs of self fulfillment.  The need to be "money ahead" is one thing, the aversion to continued "money behind" is another.  

11 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

No, money is literally the only thing of any value Moto. Come on, get your head in the game.

This is how we've been cucked by capitalism. Nothing is worth doing unless it has a positive ROI

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

The problem with this hyperbole is, it's the ones with no money...and no real plans to make any that keep saying it.  The one's that are/feel different about it, don't pay any mind to these people.

Just now, motonoggin said:

This is how we've been cucked by capitalism. Nothing is worth doing unless it has a positive ROI

It's more about the BCR ratio rather than the ROI ratio.  Do you negotiate for big purchases?  

23 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

When I build I'm probably going to do an oversized solar array so I don't have to be tied to the grid. 

I'll never get that money back, but I'm also purchasing independence from the power company. 

That's worth more than just the price of the panels. It's the intangibles that make it worth it.

In Illinois you can sell back to the grid, some have done well having their electric meter run backwards. They made that illegal in Indiana tho... :lol:

3 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

In Illinois you can sell back to the grid, some have done well having their electric meter run backwards. They made that illegal in Indiana tho... :lol:

They did that in Germany too. Germany isn't exactly known for its sunny days

31 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

DIY grid tied kit...  pretty cheap 6-7 year pay back.  Solar install company are there to make a profit

Do you think Cali even allows DIY?  If the Gov mandates you have it, why not mandate that it's installed by one of the companies that are one of their favorite political contributors?

8 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

No, people spend money on all kinds of things that have negative ROI every day.  Pool, hot tubs, home automation, you name it.  That's because the WANT it and it's their choice.  By mandating something like solar installations, they are ramming higher costs and pain in the ass factor right down your throat.  So who's the cuck again?  :dunno:  

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Nazipigdog said:

Hmmm... I'll have to tell my friends in California that. Also they have water shortages and periods of severe drought which make hydro dams a poor choice. Electrical independence is now a bad thing I guess cuz the power company won't be able to fuck you over as much?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_electricity_crisis

Enron bro about 15 years ago.....  there was a big court cases and many retirements fucked over on it....  read up on what Enron did....  since the manipulated shortage way back when, California has had stable and ample amount of electricity....  generators are falling all over themselves to sell electricity to Cali cause there is so much extra....  CAL ISO has taken over out west.

cali is projected to have an excess of 5000-6000 mw flowing into the state of needed this summer

Edited by BOHICA

45 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

If you have that kind of disposable income don’t you think it would be better off being used to help the poor rather than being wasted to satisfy your smug arrogance? 

• Like 1