Check your account email address ×

Unemployment is below 4% for the first time since 2000

If we want to be honest we all know where this started; Thanks Barack!

Unemployment is below 4% for the first time since 2000

by Nathaniel Meyersohn   @CNNMoneyMay 4, 2018: 9:19 AM ET

The United States added 164,000 jobs in April, the Labor Department reported Friday. That was slightly below what economists expected. Unemployment dropped to 3.9%, the lowest since December 2000.

"The employment situation continues to surprise everyone," said Robert Frick, chief economist with Navy Federal Credit Union. "Getting down to 3.9 is quite a marker."

Wages grew 2.6% from a year earlier. That was also slightly below expectations.

The report indicates another month of solid job growth for an economy that has been expanding for almost nine years — the second-longest streak on record.

Related: The US economy just hit a milestone

Hiring gains in April were broad. Professional and business services added 54,000 jobs, health care added 24,000, and manufacturing posted an increase of 24,000 jobs.

The mining sector added 8,000 jobs, extending its gains. Employment in mining has risen by 86,000 since October 2016.

The wage growth number seemed unlikely to alarm Wall Street, which has been worried in recent months about inflation. Stock futures were little changed after the report came out.

Inflation is closing in on the Federal Reserve's 2% target, gasoline is heading toward $3 a gallon, and companies are reporting cost pressures. Faster inflation could force the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates more quickly than planned.

Frick believes unemployment will keep falling as businesses offer more attractive wages and benefits to fill openings.

"There's still hundreds of thousands of more people who will enter the workforce," he said. "I think we can get down to 3.5%."

If unemployment falls much further, it will reach territory not seen in half a century. Unemployment fell as low as 3.8% in April 2000, in the waning days of the technology boom. The last time it was lower than that was 1969.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/04/news/economy/april-jobs-report/index.html

clearly it started with Barack as he was president when the economy was at it's bottom.  As much as I think Trump is an idiot i don't think we would see these numbers with Hillary in office although i am not sure that is necessarily a positive,  a too hot economy is not good,  steady measured growth is better.   

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

clearly it started with Barack as he was president when the economy was at it's bottom.  As much as I think Trump is an idiot i don't think we would see these numbers with Hillary in office although i am not sure that is necessarily a positive,  a too hot economy is not good,  steady measured growth is better.   

I really don't see 3-4% as too hot.  Much higher and I would agree.  

If Trump didn't have anything to do with this than people really screwed the pooch in forecasting.   Manufacturing in general got caught with their pants down.  I got suppliers with normal 3 month leads can't meet 9 months.   Its fucking ridiculous.  

We had been quite steady until Nov 2016 then things really started to take off.  This year would be amazing but suppliers not able to keep up will be a real issue.  

Edited by Highmark

9 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

:iagree:

10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

come on man, the curve was headed down. why do you think it would have stopped with Hillary? it wasn't like it was flat for a long time and then dove when trump came in. :handjob:

17 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

If we want to be honest we all know where this started; Thanks Barack!

Can you pinpoint anything Obama did to help the economy?   Go.  :pc:  

3 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

come on man, the curve was headed down. why do you think it would have stopped with Hillary? it wasn't like it was flat for a long time and then dove when trump came in. :handjob:

hillary would have continued the over regulation which does have a negative effect on growth. 

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I really don't see 3-4% as too hot.  Much higher and I would agree.  

If Trump didn't have anything to do with this than people really screwed the pooch in forecasting.   Manufacturing in general got caught with their pants down.  I got suppliers with normal 3 month leads can't meet 9 months.   Its fucking ridiculous.  

We had been quite steady until Nov 2016 then things really started to take off.  This year would be amazing but suppliers not able to keep up will be a real issue.  

Same problem here.....I can not get hydraulic hose to sell. We've got back orders dating back to August. I was resorting to picking from anyone that sold the same brand. That's dried because we're all out of stock.

1 minute ago, T1R9sledder said:

Same problem here.....I can not get hydraulic hose to sell. We've got back orders dating back to August. I was resorting to picking from anyone that sold the same brand. That's dried because we're all out of stock.

There is a mix of causes.   Companies gun shy about expanding and available workforce are issues.   We've increased our blue collar force by 20% but we've taken from others to do it.  Thank God we are 1st shift only.   Lets us get good workers quickly.......so far.  

What brand do you sell?   I buy quite a bit of it and might have some suppliers that can help you out.   PM me.  

13 minutes ago, Highmark said:

There is a mix of causes.   Companies gun shy about expanding and available workforce are issues.   We've increased our blue collar force by 20% but we've taken from others to do it.  Thank God we are 1st shift only.   Lets us get good workers quickly.......so far.  

What brand do you sell?   I buy quite a bit of it and might have some suppliers that can help you out.   PM me.  

Worker shortage and a cutback on immigration, brilliant :thumb:

7 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Worker shortage and a cutback on immigration, brilliant :thumb:

Its a big win for the legal worker. :thumbsup:

Liberals: We want wage growth.

Also Liberals: Lets open the borders which will drop wages.  

Edited by Highmark

Lets also be honest here that the republicans bought off the democrats to get their EXTRA half a trillion dollar budget thru. Being a public works contractor I am seeing way more work on the street than there has been in the last 3 years. Gonna be a great Christmas at the Nazipigdog's house this year. Thanks republicans! :bc: 

**ps. Pay your taxes bitches. :bc: 

10 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Now if we could just get all those lazy bastards off welfare...

78666759e994c371d15e5abecfa18afe.jpg

21 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

And we all know that if you're still on welfare when unemployment is 4% then you're lazy.

Not at all.   Plenty of people incapable of working.   Plenty of people capable of working.