Check your account email address ×

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

ckf

2 minutes ago, Rmk said:

If you walk the dock back of the town home not the marine side. You looked at my house.  Hawks Kay changed the environment and life style drastically.  The house was on east sea view drive. Often the condo 

Would rent out bikes for folks to ride about the island. But. Never mentioned you had to back ride to get back. Can't count how many little kids and parents I drove back to the hotel.

How did it change it?

1 minute ago, DAVE said:

How did it change it?

Volume of people but more the stigma many tried to portray. Either they acted like 10 cent million airs or Jimmy Buffett want a be.  Early on it was quite basic fishing area. The biggest attraction for most is to say i live on an island. Water is wonderful to look at but it's at a cost hawks Kay would tell people to dive around the island you eventually felt like a side show. People thought nothing of walk on are property even go behind the house and take  pictures of them selves on my dock few time on one of the boats. Eventually I fixed that with a shepherd.  

The community of duck key push hard for a gate at the first bridge over the canal. It was shut down by hawks Kay. Later it was discovered all homes on island had to hookup to under ground septic at 26k per home. It was later discovered after all homes complied that the the development pushed to recover it's under ground utility cost the county pushed it through for monthly payments.  The kicker was the septic design of each home was far better environmentally then the main treatment plant. Each home had an aerobic system once contaminate left the system it was drinking water quality.

47 minutes ago, Rmk said:

Volume of people but more the stigma many tried to portray. Either they acted like 10 cent million airs or Jimmy Buffett want a be.  Early on it was quite basic fishing area. The biggest attraction for most is to say i live on an island. Water is wonderful to look at but it's at a cost hawks Kay would tell people to dive around the island you eventually felt like a side show. People thought nothing of walk on are property even go behind the house and take  pictures of them selves on my dock few time on one of the boats. Eventually I fixed that with a shepherd.  

The community of duck key push hard for a gate at the first bridge over the canal. It was shut down by hawks Kay. Later it was discovered all homes on island had to hookup to under ground septic at 26k per home. It was later discovered after all homes complied that the the development pushed to recover it's under ground utility cost the county pushed it through for monthly payments.  The kicker was the septic design of each home was far better environmentally then the main treatment plant. Each home had an aerobic system once contaminate left the system it was drinking water quality.

Geez that kinda sucks eh...

We went there with a bunch of couples and never really left the resort...

Ive stayed on quite a few of the keys and usually just stayed on that key...im not crazy about key west as ive gotten older but loved it in my late teens and 20s. :bc:

1 hour ago, Rmk said:

Who tested that?  

49 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Who tested that?  

The septic design and dock have to be approved through the core of engineering. The new plant in marathon isn't much more then a small steam discharge system. Just obviously larger scale

29 minutes ago, Rmk said:

The septic design and dock have to be approved through the core of engineering. The new plant in marathon isn't much more then a small steam discharge system. Just obviously larger scale

So who drank the effluent?

10 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

So who drank the effluent?

I have no idea if any most homes on the island pumped to a cistern holding. The fluid was use for house irrigation. Some I believe discharged to the canal.  The ecosystem is beyond regulatory guidance but necessary to protect.

It like I said living in such an environment has high cost not only to build but maintain. The sheer level of air born salt was very corrosive to every thing.  Stainless Webber grill left out side wood be a pile of junk in less then two year's.  Building cost are average cost for structures to comply with all aspects from wind to environmental was $450. Per square foot.  Did I enjoy life there yes. But the life in other areas of Florida are just as good some aspects better.

Just now, Rmk said:

I have no idea if any actually drank the product, most homes on the island pumped to a cistern holding. The fluid was use for house irrigation. Some I believe discharged to the canal.  The ecosystem is beyond regulatory guidance but necessary to protect.

It like I said living in such an environment has high cost not only to build but maintain. The sheer level of air born salt was very corrosive to every thing.  Stainless Webber grill left out side wood be a pile of junk in less then two year's.  Building cost are average cost for structures to comply with all aspects from wind to environmental was $450. Per square foot.  Did I enjoy life there yes. But the life in other areas of Florida are just as good some aspects better.

• Platinum Contributing Member
On August 11, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Highmark said:

Jackson Hole area of Wyoming.

I lived in JH 91-98. Got my first sled there. Amazing place. My wife was born and raised there. 

We live in a remote subdivision with about 20 houses.everybody has approx 3 acres. The sled/atv trails run behind our place and you can leave from here and go anywhere you want. It's a friendly area and sleds/atvs ride right into town.we sit back about 200ft from the road and basically only neighbours go by. Chainsaws,riding mowers and weedwackers are the norm around here lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

We live in a remote subdivision with about 20 houses.everybody has approx 3 acres. The sled/atv trails run behind our place and you can leave from here and go anywhere you want. It's a friendly area and sleds/atvs ride right into town.we sit back about 200ft from the road and basically only neighbours go by. Chainsaws,riding mowers and weedwackers are the norm around here lol

Sounds like where I live... :bc:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shifty said:

I would stay right here in northern NH. 

There is no greeter bliss than the feeling that you are living in the place you want to be living.  So many people go through their lives complaining about the area/weather/people/other in their hometown but for reasons that seem dumb to me, never muster up the courage to move away to what may be a better spot.  IMO, nothing is sadder than hearing "When I retire, I'm moving to ________."  That almost always means that move will never happen.  And if it does...their too fucking old to appreciate most of it anyway.  The older we get, change gets harder and harder to contemplate.

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

There is no greeter bliss than the feeling that you are living in the place you want to be living.  So many people go through their lives complaining about the area/weather/people/other in their hometown but for reasons that seem dumb to me, never muster up the courage to move away to what may be a better spot.  IMO, nothing is sadder than hearing "When I retire, I'm moving to ________."  That almost always means that move will never happen.  And if it does...their too fucking old to appreciate most of it anyway.  The older we get, change gets harder and harder to contemplate.

yeah well the wife has 32 years in her pension ..gotta see it out.:bc:

20 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I agree, but I can't do the job I love in the place I want to be.  So we do both.

There are always extenuating and acceptable circumstances.  But those can also be masked as excuses too.  All up to the individual to figure out which is which.

I put a five year financial plan in place to make our last move.  It didn't quite work out like I wanted when the economy hit the shits, but it was good enough and we kept to schedule and moved anyway.  Best thing we ever did.  

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

There are always extenuating and acceptable circumstances.  But those can also be masked as excuses too.  All up to the individual to figure out which is which.

I put a five year financial plan in place to make our last move.  It didn't quite work out like I wanted when the economy hit the shits, but it was good enough and we kept to schedule and moved anyway.  Best thing we ever did.  

Good stuff for you.  We plan on building up north in the next 3 years and and then moving up eventually.  There is little stopping this plan even if the markets drop 50%, but then what loser would have some junior achiever hold there cards.

13 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Good stuff for you.  We plan on building up north in the next 3 years and and then moving up eventually.  There is little stopping this plan even if the markets drop 50%, but then what loser would have some junior achiever hold there cards.

Most are lucky enough to be relatively close to their "dream location".  I was no less than a 1000 miles away from getting back to my paradise.  BIG MOVE!

I live pretty much where I want to, our winters have been shitty, not enough snow. We may buy a camp in the Adirondacks in the future but having horses keeps us from being able to get away, but I'm in the middle of 42 acres 1000' off the road and a few miles from town, we have deer, bear, turkey, bobcats, coyote's and other wildlife in the back fields and even in the yard just a few feet from the house at times, I'd be hard pressed to give it up.