Check your account email address ×

NH DUI Checkpoints Would End Under New Bill

• Platinum Contributing Member

CONCORD, NH — Drunk-driving checkpoints would be outlawed in New Hampshire under a new bill proposed by five Republican state lawmakers. Sobriety checkpoints have been a staple in the Granite State for the last decade, resulting in scores of arrests for drunk driving and other offenses. Police maintain checkpoints are an important deterrent; critics say they are unreasonable searches that violate citizens' rights.

Drunk-driving checkpoints have been conducted by police agencies across nearly every corner of New Hampshire in recent years. Under current law, police are required to obtain a judge's approval for a checkpoint and publicize it in the media before holding one. The checkpoints are usually held late at night; police select drivers and engage them in conversation to determine if they are driving impaired.

Talking about unlawful search. Our school is now charging high school students to park on school property. $10 for the year, they get to search the vehicle any time they feel like it without probable cause. There's a lot of parents that are unhappy about it. I have a feeling this isn't new, but first for our district. I'm glad all my kids are out of school.

3 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

Talking about unlawful search. Our school is now charging high school students to park on school property. $10 for the year, they get to search the vehicle any time they feel like it without probable cause. There's a lot of parents that are unhappy about it. I have a feeling this isn't new, but first for our district. I'm glad all my kids are out of school.

They show up with dogs all the time at my kids  HS. Sniffing out the drugs. Glad they didn’t do that when I was in HS. :whistle:

$10 is a bargain. The yearly parking permit is $190 here.

10 minutes ago, Edmo said:

They show up with dogs all the time at my kids  HS. Sniffing out the drugs. Glad they didn’t do that when I was in HS. :whistle:

Do they run the dog in the staff only areas ?   Traverse City MI,  had the drug dogs check all the areas on the school property some years ago , the results were telling. The school system has never allowed the dogs to check staff only areas again .  :lol:

Just now, Edmo said:

Yeah that's a lot of money. I don't think the money is really a factor so much as they want the parents to sign the agreement for the search part of it. I don't really have a problem with drug dogs. If they hit on something, that's cause in my book. They have been bringing dogs in the school every once in awhile to sniff lockers. Again I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with them searching a vehicle because the wind is blowing the wrong way. The parking agreement pretty much states they can search the vehicle at any time, for any reason, without consent. 

1 minute ago, hwytohell said:

Do they run the dog in the staff only areas ?   Traverse City MI,  had the drug dogs check all the areas on the school property some years ago , the results were telling. The school system has never allowed the dogs to check staff only areas again .  :lol:

I know some of my teachers wouldn't have passed a drug test........:bc:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

I’m not sure about the staff areas. It was my impression they went anywhere on the property. My son has seen a few kids marched out of there with cuffs on. It’s way different today though. When I was younger they would have had to arrest half the school. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Skidude600 said:

"Dazed and Confused" is one of my favorite movies. Reminds me of what some of my classmates had for "lunch".:lol:

X2. that was about the time i was in HS as well. the cars, the cruising around partying, the woods parties etc all bring back memories. one place we'd all party at even had a tower we climbed, similar to the one in the movie.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skidude600 said:

"Dazed and Confused" is one of my favorite movies. Reminds me of what some of my classmates had for "lunch".:lol:

One of my all time favorites too. Ask @Angry ginger how many times he's had to sit through it at snowmobile camp :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skidude600 said:

we pay $25 here was talking to a kid yesterday who pays 150 at his school,  think both contracts allow search but parents don't sign so not sure how enforceable it would be

9 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

we pay $25 here was talking to a kid yesterday who pays 150 at his school,  think both contracts allow search but parents don't sign so not sure how enforceable it would be

I have to sign our form for the kid’s parking permit. And you have to do it early as there are only so many available. I don’t remember anything on there about searches though.

25 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

If you guys aren't under the influence or doing something illegal, what's the big deal? Would it more if an inconvenience attending a family members funeral ? The only time they crack down around here is xmas time. 

the big deal is its government overreach.  police have to have probable cause not just pull you over and harrass you.