Check your account email address ×

Credit Checks on you by someone else

15 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Congrats ,one of your long winded post is spot on.:bc::lol:

THEY ALL ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111112222222223333333333333333333333344444444444444444444444444444455555555555555555555556666666666666666666667777777777777777777777777778888888888888888888888888888888888888

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Ok, but you seem a bit overly worried.  To a point you shouldn't be.

It takes less than a minute to check the credit score. If there isn't a significant change which there hasn't been I'm done. I never really thought much about identity theft until it happened to someone I know and the mess it made of their life. I always figured it could never happen to me. He and his wife didn't either. Imagine finding out you don't own your home after all.

11 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Personally I don't have $50K sitting around not earning a decent ROI. 

Ok but I would not pull a good investment returning a 10% roi over a savings account earning nothing to pay for a car.  It makes zero sense.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 02sled said:

It takes less than a minute to check the credit score. If there isn't a significant change which there hasn't been I'm done. I never really thought much about identity theft until it happened to someone I know and the mess it made of their life. I always figured it could never happen to me. He and his wife didn't either. Imagine finding out you don't own your home after all.

There is insurance for that.

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

There is insurance for that.

That insurance covers the costs associated with sorting out your life but doesn't stop your life from being totally screwed for a long time. 

7 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Ok but I would not pull a good investment returning a 10% roi over a savings account earning nothing to pay for a car.  It makes zero sense.

I don't keep enough money in a savings account to be able to pull $50K out of and still have a comfortable balance left over. I like a ROI and won't leave that much earning nothing.

17 hours ago, 02sled said:

I don't keep enough money in a savings account to be able to pull $50K out of and still have a comfortable balance left over. I like a ROI and won't leave that much earning nothing.

Well I'm a bit different as I do not get paid every week or even every month.  It's three times per year, once in Jan, once in June and again in Dec.  Jan and June are known, Dec is a wildcard depending on how the bus does.  So if I am buying a new car, I will set aside the amount plus the amount I need for the year and the rest gets invested.  If there is a good loan rate, ie < 3% being offered, I might take that and add that lump amount to the investment pile where I know I will do much better.  I will never take gains from good long term investments to pay for cars or toys.  

31 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Well I'm a bit different as I do not get paid every week or even every month.  It's three times per year, once in Jan, once in June and again in Dec.  Jan and June are known, Dec is a wildcard depending on how the bus does.  So if I am buying a new car, I will set aside the amount plus the amount I need for the year and the rest gets invested.  If there is a good loan rate, ie < 3% being offered, I might take that and add that lump amount to the investment pile where I know I will do much better.  I will never take gains from good long term investments to pay for cars or toys.  

Typically I time my truck purchase so it coincides with 0% financing or a massive rebate program to offset any interest. I believe the current interest through Ford finance is 2.49% but a few weeks ago it was 0%

I can see where not having a weekly or monthly replenishment of the bank account from an income would drive having a higher balance to see one through to the next deposit.

Edited by 02sled

28 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Typically I time my truck purchase so it coincides with 0% financing or a massive rebate program to offset any interest. I believe the current interest through Ford finance is 2.49% but a few weeks ago it was 0%

I can see where not having a weekly or monthly replenishment of the bank account from an income would drive having a higher balance to see one through to the next deposit.

I don't, I time my purchases when I want a truck.  

16 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I don't, I time my purchases when I want a truck.  

Usually 0% happens a couple of times a year and has a pretty good window when it's available. Once I start thinking about a new truck a couple of months more or less to wait for favourable promotions doesn't really matter especially considering they have to order what I want.

7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

no idea why with cheap CU financing anyones taking a 0% rate over the rebate.  Math almost always works in the rebates favor with rates as low as they are now.  

I have done the math every time and the rebates have never come close to covering the interest over the term of the loan even when my line of credit rate is prime + 1/4 point.

A lot would depend on how much you are financing over what period. I imagine if the finance amount was significantly small it would be feasible.

Edited by 02sled