Check your account email address ×

As price of insulin soars, Americans caravan to Canada for lifesaving medicine

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

We get a surprisingly fair share down here for treatment.  Not really sure why though.  Specialty stuff or lack of wait times I guess.  :dunno:

Wait times and many treatments arent approved in Canada that should be are the cause. 

We have specialties.  Just in small amounts in 1 or 2 areas of the country. 

The wait is a big negative for the Canadian system atm. 

4 hours ago, snopro31 said:

Wait times and many treatments arent approved in Canada that should be are the cause. 

We have specialties.  Just in small amounts in 1 or 2 areas of the country. 

The wait is a big negative for the Canadian system atm. 

I think somewhere between our system and yours, there might just be a good compromise.  We have special issues here in the US that will never allow us to have a fully socialized system.

What I wonder is, of the ones seeking treatment here, how do they pay?  I guess they take out a seperate insurance plan...or cash payment.  :dunno: 

11 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Corporate greed controls the Republicans in Congress.....

The Americas 

By Emily Rauhala 
June 16 at 2:52 PM 

As their minivan rolled north, they felt their nerves kick in — but they kept on driving. ... At the wheel: Lija Greenseid, a rule-abiding Minnesota mom steering her Mazda5 on a cross-border drug run. 

Her daughter, who is 13, has Type 1 diabetes and needs insulin. In the United States, it can cost hundreds of dollars per vial. In Canada, you can buy it without a prescription for a tenth of that price. 

So, Greenseid led a small caravan last month to the town of Fort Frances, Ontario, where she and five other Americans paid about $1,200 for drugs that would have cost them $12,000 in the United States. 

“It felt like we were robbing the pharmacy,” said Quinn Nystrom, a Type 1 diabetic who joined the caravan that day. “It had been years since I had 10 vials in my hands.” 

Emily Rauhala writes about foreign affairs, with a focus on Canada, for The Washington Post. She spent a decade as an editor and correspondent in Asia, first for Time magazine and later, from 2015 to 2018, as China correspondent in Beijing for The Post. In 2017, she shared an Overseas Press Club award for a series about the Internet in China. Follow https://twitter.com/emilyrauhala

Going to Canada to buy drugs isn’t life saving medicine you fucking cunt

• Platinum Contributing Member
52 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Ask a diabetic if they can live without their insulin. 

• Gold Member

What’s insulin cost on an Obama care plan.  Every single person in the US has insurance....  err that is the law anyways that everybody has to pay an insurance company for some reason.

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bottom line is its corporate greed price gouging because they can. Its not right. Fuck lilly and the handful of extortion artists

Yep, when we put money first before the healthcare of our citizens, we are fucked.

6 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Yep, when we put money first before the healthcare of our citizens, we are fucked.

I honestly do not see this ever changing. It will only get worse IMO

1 hour ago, jtssrx said:

insulin is life saving medicine. Id be dead by now if it wasn't for insulin. It use to be pork insulin but now its synthetic. Fuck lilly

6 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Pete.  How much does it cost out of pocket with Health your insurance plan?

I have a $30 a month copay. I use 2 bottles of Humalog a month. 15 years ago I paid nothing for the exact same insulin.

My insurance costs me $500 ( my contribution) per month for a family PPO

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, Pete said:

I have a $30 a month copay. I use 2 bottles of Humalog a month. 15 years ago I paid nothing for the exact same insulin.

30 a month isn’t all that bad.  Not like MC story in the OP.  It would prollycost ya more a month to go to Canada to get you insulin.  Pretty good deal.

1 hour ago, jtssrx said:

You never cease to prove your ignorance daily here. This one is a gem. Jesus your a fuckin stupid bastard

6 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

30 a month isn’t all that bad.  Not like MC story in the OP.  It would prollycost ya more a month to go to Canada to get you insulin.  Pretty good deal.

completely agree

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Ask a diabetic if they can live without their insulin. 

All they have to do is stand at the edge of the earth where the air is thinner. They don’t need insulin. 

Yeah I stole that joke. But it fits. 

14 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

There is a cost for everything, even to avoid death.:bc:

Absolutely but it must also be affordable. The incessant greed in the healthcare industry is getting old.

27 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

You pay $6,000.00 per year plus $360.00. What is your employers contribution?