Check your account email address ×

Ford Motor Co. Upcoming Cuts Could Eclipse Gubbermint Motors

These companies got caught with their pants down when gas went up dramatically a few years back, and in the last downturn. Seems like they’re getting ahead of it this time. Nobody is buying sedans. They need to retool for electric vehicles and more suvs.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The auto industry is undergoing a lot of uncertainly. Tariffs, material costs, and product design. Like the stock market, it’s a fucking yo-yo. 

I love working in the Auto Industry :bashhead:

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Cuts to come from outside of North America.

Ford officials in October said they would cut an undetermined number of salaried employees globally, some of which would come out of its North American operations. 

18 hours ago, Edmo said:

These companies got caught with their pants down when gas went up dramatically a few years back, and in the last downturn. Seems like they’re getting ahead of it this time. Nobody is buying sedans. They need to retool for electric vehicles and more suvs.

I love sedans and coupes, I don't understand the desire to drive an SUV as a DD.

18 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The auto industry is undergoing a lot of uncertainty. Tariffs, material costs, and product design. Like the stock market, it’s a fucking yo-yo. 

Buying a car before December 31 will save you money

New tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump on auto parts from China will hit carmaker profits, cut sales and threaten to "start a downward cycle" in the critical industry, analysts said unanimously Tuesday. 

In addition, if you're in the market for a new car, you probably should get to a dealership soon, because prices are going up.

Trump's latest round of tariffs on Chinese imports will add costs to more than 100 car parts — a 10-percent levy on everything from tires and brake pads to engines and batteries — that go into cars made and sold in the U.S.

"It's going to be felt by Americans and it's going to be a big deal," said Peter Nagle, senior analyst at IHS Markit. "Tariffs are taxes on consumption. Eventually, costs will be passed down to the consumer. This will drive vehicle costs higher. It also includes a lot of body shop equipment."

Trump has campaigned on trade issues, saying new deals are needed with China and other partners, and he has imposed tariffs when talks go slowly.

He escalated a trade war between the two largest economies on the globe with the announcement on Monday of $200 billion in new tariffs. A 10-percent tax on thousands of imports from China takes effect on Sept. 24, rising to 25 percent on Jan. 1. China hit back on Tuesday, levying tariffs on $60 billion in U.S. products.

Analysts said it is unclear how much car prices will go up in order to absorb the costs of a trade war, but everyone agrees that prices must go up — and that parts from China are crucial to the auto industry.

Car sales will drop as a result, analysts said. 

"This is definitely the 'Mother, make it stop' point for the auto industry," said Jon Gabrielsen, a market economist who advises automakers and auto suppliers. 

The latest tariffs on Chinese products could increase car prices in Michigan, Gov. Rick Snyder told CNBC at the World Economic Forum in Tianjin, China. The Republican warned that the costs "will be painful."

"It's hard to read a silver lining into this," said Kristin Dziczek, vice president of the Industry, Labor & Economics Group at the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor. "Tariffs are taxes on American consumers. We're going to sell fewer. And not only do we buy car parts from the rest of the world, we sell parts to the rest of the world, especially Canada. It's all going to cost more. These are not things producers can choose to not pass along. This hits profits. This means less reinvestment. It starts a downward cycle that isn't good."

She added, "China can wait us out. They have thousands of years of patience. For the car industry, this means a lot of efficiency they've gained from building up the global supply chain is lost. It's not easy to resource these things. The thing is, you can make it more difficult to get parts from China, and automakers and suppliers will not necessarily bring that work back to the United States. There are lots of other places in the world that make those parts. Hitting only China doesn’t solve the problem or bring work back to the United States."

The rest of the story   https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/09/18/tariff-impact-auto-car-shopping/1343860002/

7 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I love sedans and coupes, I don't understand the desire to drive an SUV as a DD.

More versatility. Awd and the ability to load up the cargo space. Higher seating position for better view of traffic. Lots of reasons. 

10 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Cars are more fun to drive, but SUV's are much more comfortable as a DD.  Getting in and out, the ride over shitty roads, the vision, the seating position, etc..  Take a long drive and you will be far more fresh coming out of a SUV than any car.

5 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

A minivan makes far more sense for families than an SUV. My daughter and sil are trading an suv for a MV this week. 

I’m 6’3 and just more comfortable in a full size suv. I used to drive mini vans for work for years. I’ll take the suv...

4 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

Cars are more fun to drive, but SUV's are much more comfortable as a DD.  Getting in and out, the ride over shitty roads, the vision, the seating position, etc..  Take a long drive and you will be far more fresh coming out of a SUV than any car.

This

51 minutes ago, Edmo said:

More versatility. Awd and the ability to load up the cargo space. Higher seating position for better view of traffic. Lots of reasons. 

I prefer handling, speed, and the all weather capabilities of my car.

49 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

:bc:

My car is very comfortable on long drives, and it's better in the rain and ice than any SUV.

42 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

My car is very comfortable on long drives, and it's better in the rain and ice than any SUV.

What kind of car do you have?

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Rain and ice performance is really going to depend on tires.  SUVs are getting tires for that these days.  The don't put smaller truck tires on them anymore.  I think you may be surprised.  About 18 months  ago I got my wife a new XT5 and I got a new CTS last March.  The CTS has Pirelli PZEROs on it.  I'm pretty sure the XT5 will do better in just about any condition other than a dry summer day.  LOL  :bc:

2 hours ago, DAVE said:

What kind of car do you have?

CT6

34 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

Rain and ice performance is really going to depend on tires.  SUVs are getting tires for that these days.  The don't put smaller truck tires on them anymore.  I think you may be surprised.  About 18 months  ago I got my wife a new XT5 and I got a new CTS last March.  The CTS has Pirelli PZEROs on it.  I'm pretty sure the XT5 will do better in just about any condition other than a dry summer day.  LOL  :bc:

I'm still going with the lower CG being the winner :bc: 

I had PZERO's on my CTS and I like them a lot, but what really surprised me are the Goodyear Eagle Touring 245/40 R20's I have on the CT6, Goodyear seems to be back on there game again.

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

CT6

I had PZERO's on my CTS and I like them a lot, but what really surprised me are the Goodyear Eagle Touring 245/40 R20's I have on the CT6, Goodyear seems to be back on there game again.

Nice...what trim?

4 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

A minivan makes far more sense for families than an SUV. My daughter and sil are trading an suv for a MV this week. 

They do but they are not sporty looking enough. 

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

CT6

Bold: Awesome! Good to hear.   :bc:

How do you like the CT6?  My sister got one two months before my ATS was up.  I wasn't going to get the same car as her and park it right next to hers outside our office.  I've seen her walk up to my CTS (both cars are black) and put her briefcase in the back seat and open the driver's door before she realized she was at the wrong car more than once.  LOL.  The CT6 has some pretty cool options.  

19 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Nice...what trim?

Platinum.

11 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

Bold: Awesome! Good to hear.   :bc:

How do you like the CT6?  My sister got one two months before my ATS was up.  I wasn't going to get the same car as her and park it right next to hers outside our office.  I've seen her walk up to my CTS (both cars are black) and put her briefcase in the back seat and open the driver's door before she realized she was at the wrong car more than once.  LOL.  The CT6 has some pretty cool options.  

The reclining back seats with massage, and the TV's................I should get a driver :lol:My car is the graphite metallic like the one below.

Image result for 2016 Graphite Metallic

10 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Platinum.

The reclining back seats with massage, and the TV's................I should get a driver :lol:My car is the graphite metallic like the one below.

Image result for 2016 Graphite Metallic

Nice!!!

Fronts dont have massage?