Check your account email address ×

The Wick Is Lit

SOUND THE DRUMS IT'S COMING!

North Korea says Trump has 'lit the wick of war' and that it is ready to 'settle the final score with a hail of fire'

The Independent Alexandra Wilts,The Independent 2 hours 54 minutes ago 
Undated picture released from North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on September 21, 2017: AFP/Getty Images

North Korea's foreign minister has said Donald Trump "has lit the wick of a war", according to a Russian state news agency.

Tensions between the US and North Korea have intensified in recent months as the Trump administration has struggled to rein in Kim Jong-un's expanding nuclear and ballistic weapons programme.

Russia's TASS news agency quoted North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho as saying: "With his bellicose and insane statement at the United Nations, Trump, you can say, has lit the wick of a war against us."

"We need to settle the final score, only with a hail of fire, not words," he reportedly added.

During an address to the United Nations General Assembly in September, Mr Trump declared that the US would "totally destroy North Korea" if forced to defend itself or its allies. The President added that while the US has "great strength and patience," its options for dealing with the isolated nation could soon run out.

Mr Trump also mocked North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, referring to him as "Rocket Man".

The speech came about a week after the UN Security Council had voted to ratchet up sanctions on North Korea following its sixth and largest nuclear test.

A spokesman for the North Korean foreign ministry said last month that the more sanctions the US and its allies impose, the faster the nation will work to develop its nuclear weapons programme, according to North Korea’s official KCNA news agency.

Many members of Congress have criticised Mr Trump's "belligerent" rhetoric toward North Korea. On Sunday, Republican Senator Bob Corker even suggested that Mr Trump's comments about other nations could put the US "on the path to World War III."

Asked on Tuesday if the lawmaker was correct in his assessment, Mr Trump responded: "We were on the wrong path before."

"All you have to do is take a look," Mr Trump added. "If you look over the last 25 years, through numerous administrations, we were on a path to a very big problem – a problem like this world has never seen. We’re on the right path right now, believe me."

While Mr Trump has taken an aggressive tone in his comments about North Korea, other officials have been more measured.

Defence Secretary James Mattis has said the administration is still aiming for a peaceful resolution of the conflict, but has told the US Army "to be ready" should military action be ordered by the President.

0?c25=7995271

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I can't believe I haven't seen the second John Wick film yet.  Damn.

it's fucking spectacular, better than the first..

4 minutes ago, COPO said:

I chew them damn things daily. Really helps but without them, id be in rough shape

Chances are your problem is due to low stomach acid. Google hypochlorhydria. 

21 minutes ago, Anler said:

Chances are your problem is due to low stomach acid. Google hypochlorhydria. 

Hmmm okay ill check it. Sometimes I am violently woken up because im gasping for air from acid that came up. its scary

Just now, COPO said:

Hmmm okay ill check it. Sometimes I am violently woken up because im gasping for air from acid that came up. its scary

I was diagnosed with that early this year. The tums actually makes your condition worse. 

Just now, Anler said:

I was diagnosed with that early this year. The tums actually makes your condition worse. 

whoa okay. Ill ask my dr about it. Thanks for the help