Check your account email address ×

Philosophical question.

Is the threat of starvation required for human progress?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is the threat of starvation required for human progress?

4 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

because it is to involved and I really don't care if you know about actual history or not. but you are the one talking about evolving and human enrichment so go evolve and enrich your brain . or not could give 2 fucks . 

You're citing an example of a society that was still experiencing scarcity.

In today's post scarcity world, these examples from feudalism aren't operative or applicable.

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

You're citing an example of a society that was still experiencing scarcity.

In today's post scarcity world, these examples from feudalism aren't operative or applicable.

in a large part because some were not contributing there share to the store because others would do the work .but still taking from it .

Just now, Ez ryder said:

in a large part because some were not contributing there share to the store because others would do the work .but still taking from it .

Well, that's not going to work during periods of scarcity, obviously. 

But like I've been saying, we live in a post scarcity world. We produce more globally than we consume globally. 

food is not always a motivator we have been dropping bags of grain and rice for decades in some places and it has not helped them do anything but move closer to the air drop sites.

part of the issue is we think every one has a right to survive . that is flawed thinking

6 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

food is not always a motivator we have been dropping bags of grain and rice for decades in some places and it has not helped them do anything but move closer to the air drop sites.

part of the issue is we think every one has a right to survive . that is flawed thinking

And that's a result of false scarcity created by and required for capitalism.

We all have a right to survive! What kind of dystopian shit is that? Smh

2 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Well, the USSR ended up authoritarian, but even still, they turned what was a global backwater into a global superpower in the matter of a generation. 

Remember Sputnik?

Yah they captured better German scientists :flush: 

• Gold Member

We are just another animal species...  survival instinct and eating is what makes Other species exist.  The daily life revolves around food.  If you feed people for nothing with no effort from the person eating such as in communism the people will lose the ability to survive and become dependent on the feed.

Example bear in garbage cans.  They get the food handed to them easily and they lose the will and ability to get food on there own and become a burden and are euthanized due to the nuisance they are...  kind of what we should be doing to antifa as they are a nuisance animal

18 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

We are just another animal species...  survival instinct and eating is what makes Other species exist.  The daily life revolves around food.  If you feed people for nothing with no effort from the person eating such as in communism the people will lose the ability to survive and become dependent on the feed.

Example bear in garbage cans.  They get the food handed to them easily and they lose the will and ability to get food on there own and become a burden and are euthanized due to the nuisance they are...  kind of what we should be doing to antifa as they are a nuisance animal

But aren't we supposed to be more advanced and intelligent than mere animals?

Frankly, I find this depiction of humans as nothing more than animals disgusting. I'm agnostic, but it seems that those who believe in a higher power would also be disgusted by that notion. Additionally, those that do believe in a higher power and a Divine creator also offering this notion as justification for oppression reveal themselves as massive hypocrites. 

Edited by motonoggin

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

But aren't we supposed to be more advanced and intelligent than mere animals?

Frankly, I find this depiction of humans as nothing more than animals disgusting. I'm agnostic, but it seems that those who believe in a higher power would also be disgusted by that notion. Additionally, those that do believe in a higher power and a Divine creator also offering this notion as justification for oppression reveal themselves as massive hypocrites. 

We are nothing more then animals.  Instinct to survive.  Shoot a mama deer and her babies stick around, sad crying and such.  To say we are the only ones with feelings in the animal kingdom is really ignorant and to put us above any species on this earth is ignorant on the great level.

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

We are nothing more then animals.  Instinct to survive.  Shoot a mama deer and her babies stick around, sad crying and such.  To say we are the only ones with feelings in the animal kingdom is really ignorant and to put us above any species on this earth is ignorant on the great level.

Good post.

26 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Lol. Don't strawman me, bro.

I never said animals didn't have feelings, I said humans are more than just animals. 

1 hour ago, motonoggin said:

And that's a result of false scarcity created by and required for capitalism.

We all have a right to survive! What kind of dystopian shit is that? Smh

why is it a right to survive ? if a animal cant make it in nature what happens ? natural order is the natural way of the universe

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

:lol:

Shut up.  Now, about this whole "threat of starvation".  I assume you mean that figuratively?

I took it literally... Like how our society progresses by subjecting the poor to the threat of starvation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

why is it a right to survive ? if a animal cant make it in nature what happens ? natural order is the natural way of the universe

I think your portrayal of the natural order is a bit shallow and just convenient to your argument. 

There is an over abundance of evidence proving mutual aid is common even amongst animals, let alone humans. Humans have always been the best at it, we wouldn't have civilization and be at the top of the food chain if it weren't for our cooperation skills. 

5 hours ago, Zambroski said:

:lol:

Shut up.  Now, about this whole "threat of starvation".  I assume you mean that figuratively?

Gotta watch out for those logical fallacies. 

I meant it both ways, literally and figuratively.

9 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Right, but if you didn't have to work to eat, would you still work? 

Most would, there is more to enjoy in life than merely existing. Welfare is just that, a sad existence where your life sucks, but you get to stay alive even though you are useless.

38 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I think your portrayal of the natural order is a bit shallow and just convenient to your argument. 

There is an over abundance of evidence proving mutual aid is common even amongst animals, let alone humans. Humans have always been the best at it, we wouldn't have civilization and be at the top of the food chain if it weren't for our cooperation skills. 

cooperation is 1 thing as is a hand at getting out of a situation .enabling multi generational  worthlessness is something else entirely diff

3 hours ago, Wildboer said:

I took it literally... Like how our society progresses by subjecting the poor to the threat of starvation.

Oh boy.

1 hour ago, motonoggin said:

Gotta watch out for those logical fallacies. 

I meant it both ways, literally and figuratively.

"Logical fallacies" huh? :lol:

Tell you what, if you want to debate, you can pick one.  Either your statement was meant literally or figuratively.  You DO understand the idiocy of trying to argue the point for both don't you?  You are basically saying you don't really have an argument.  Or, you were making light of your own literal issue in which you want people to make a choice and vote?  For what purpose?  You don't know if their answer is literal or figural.  

C'mon dude.

Short points.  No memes.

45 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

cooperation is 1 thing as is a hand at getting out of a situation .enabling multi generational  worthlessness is something else entirely diff

I don't see how creating a society where everyone's basic needs are universally met in order to allow people to pursue intellectual, recreational, and industrial experimentation and innovation could be a bad thing. 

As long as we keep worrying about someone getting something we don't think they deserve, we're going to have problems. Once we understand that everyone deserves basic needs, then we can really unlock humanity's potential. 

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Oh boy.

"Logical fallacies" huh? :lol:

Tell you what, if you want to debate, you can pick one.  Either your statement was meant literally or figuratively.  You DO understand the idiocy of trying to argue the point for both don't you?  You are basically saying you don't really have an argument.  Or, you were making light of your own literal issue in which you want people to make a choice and vote?  For what purpose?  You don't know if their answer is literal or figural.  

C'mon dude.

Short points.  No memes.

Threat of starvation forces cheap third world labor into factories. Literally.

Threat of starvation forces developed world workers to accept shitty working conditions or lower wages because if they complain they may lose their job. They probably won't starve, at least not right away, so this would be an application of the figurative form.