Check your account email address ×

US producing too much oil causing Texas natural gas to go negative

• Gold Member

Producers are paying $2.00 per million BTU to get rid of natural gas.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Texas-Natural-Gas-Prices-Are-Negative-As-Drillers-Chase-Oil-Sales.html

Natural gas prices at the Waha hub in the Permian basin in Texas slumped to a negative value of -$2.00 per million British thermal units (MMBtu) this week as the recent rise in oil prices prompts producers to bring drilled but uncompleted wells online.

As the U.S. benchmark oil price, West Texas Intermediate, hit $85 per barrel—the highest level in nearly six months, Texas producers keep pumping crude, but their wells also produce gas, which basically has nowhere to go.  

8 hours ago, BOHICA said:

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Texas-Natural-Gas-Prices-Are-Negative-As-Drillers-Chase-Oil-Sales.html

Natural gas prices at the Waha hub in the Permian basin in Texas slumped to a negative value of -$2.00 per million British thermal units (MMBtu) this week as the recent rise in oil prices prompts producers to bring drilled but uncompleted wells online.

As the U.S. benchmark oil price, West Texas Intermediate, hit $85 per barrel—the highest level in nearly six months, Texas producers keep pumping crude, but their wells also produce gas, which basically has nowhere to go.  

it was a warm winter... worldwide 

• Gold Member

In this economy, at least some things are getting cheaper. Natural gas prices in West Texas have dipped below zero — yes, some operators are paying to get rid of gas. At the same time, higher oil prices and increased demand is spurring more crude production in the Permian Basin. In other words, the higher price of one commodity is helping tank the price of another.

In West Texas, energy companies are often producing crude oil and natural gas at the same time — Steve Cicala at Tufts University said you can think about it like parts of a chicken. 

https://www.marketplace.org/2024/04/11/the-higher-price-of-oil-is-helping-tank-the-price-of-natural-gas/

I know what some of our power plants PAID for gas this week and it definitely wasn't zero or less than.

I am not finding a lot of specific information on this.

I think there is a very localized issue as maybe the producers want to get rid of the gas to quickly shift focus to the more lucrative oil. Take a quick loss for bigger profits. Natural gas in the country is still far from free.

Edited by MILFMAN

12 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Thanks Joe Biden

35 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I just picked up a 5 quart jug of pennzoil ultra platinum for $21. Made from natural gas. Cheapest I’ve ever paid. Best oil on the market. 

how many miles do you put on a year? Do you change it while on the road?

8 minutes ago, akvanden said:

how many miles do you put on a year? Do you change it while on the road?

I try to change it every 3k. Last year I put on almost 19k. I do have a home base now. Before I’d change it on the road if required. Most miles are highway. Most hours are in the back country. If that makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I try to change it every 3k. Last year I put on almost 19k. I do have a home base now. Before I’d change it on the road if required. Most miles are highway. Most hours are in the back country. If that makes sense. 

If you’re putting in PUP, you should be able to go 10k.

27 minutes ago, akvanden said:

An oil analysis at 3k (or 5k) would change your mind!

The 3.7 is a spinner. When I’m in the mountains it’ll spin at 5-6k rpm for extended periods. Ford increased oil capacity to 12 quarts on the “23 for a reason. I’ll stick to the short OCI. I’ve done plenty of oil analysis. They don’t tell the whole story. I’ve seen motors that have extended drain periods with good oil analysis and excessive sludge build up. Toyota is a good example. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Stop the exports too..

we don't refine or utilize our own oil for gasoline 

that's why driLL baYbY driLL is literally a calling card for dummies... like @Pete 

• Gold Member
16 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

we don't refine or utilize our own oil for gasoline 

that's why driLL baYbY driLL is literally a calling card for dummies... like @Pete 

“Most of the crude oil produced in the United States is refined in U.S. refineries along with imported crude oil to make petroleum products.”

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=268&t=6

10 hours ago, MILFMAN said:

I know what some of our power plants PAID for gas this week and it definitely wasn't zero or less than.

I am not finding a lot of specific information on this.

I think there is a very localized issue as maybe the producers want to get rid of the gas to quickly shift focus to the more lucrative oil. Take a quick loss for bigger profits. Natural gas in the country is still far from free.

Oil is high so they keep on drilling.  Natural gas comes with the oil whether they want it or not.

7 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I just picked up a 5 quart jug of pennzoil ultra platinum for $21. Made from natural gas. Cheapest I’ve ever paid. Best oil on the market. 

Where was that at?  I bought some the other day that was around $25 for a 5 quart jug and I bought it in a 3 pack.

Use it in my wife's Ecoboost.  Think I went 10k on the last change.  Want to change it at more like 5k but get busy and lose track.

20 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Oil is high so they keep on drilling.  Natural gas comes with the oil whether they want it or not.

Where was that at?  I bought some the other day that was around $25 for a 5 quart jug and I bought it in a 3 pack.

Use it in my wife's Ecoboost.  Think I went 10k on the last change.  Want to change it at more like 5k but get busy and lose track.

Amazon with a subscription. You need to change oil in an ecoboost every 5K. 

• Gold Member
56 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

dig deeper Hoss... :roflcrying:

if US refiners can’t use our crude oil we produce why don’t exports match import?   You do realize they blend these oils right at the refinery….  Something like just north of 70% of US oil is blended with 30% imported oil to get the refiners the desired blend for refining.