Check your account email address ×

Looking at surge protectors

• Platinum Contributing Member

Not sure what "widely outlets" are... But I'm dealing with that next week when I get a split system heating/cooling installed.  We do lose power around here quite frequently and when power resumes, it sometimes can result in surges.

They are offering me two options.... A surge protector which will protect the split system that they install or I can opt for a whole house surge suppression.  I may go for this, because I have some expensive appliances as well as several pinball machines that are very sensitive to voltage spikes.    

Is that what you're looking to do?.... Or are you just looking to protect the computer or something with a plug in device?   I have a ton of those plug-in ones but I don't know how effective they are.

12 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Not sure what "widely outlets" are... But I'm dealing with that next week when I get a split system heating/cooling installed.  We do lose power around here quite frequently and when power resumes, it sometimes can result in surges.

They are offering me two options.... A surge protector which will protect the split system that they install or I can opt for a whole house surge suppression.  I may go for this, because I have some expensive appliances as well as several pinball machines that are very sensitive to voltage spikes.    

Is that what you're looking to do?.... Or are you just looking to protect the computer or something with a plug in device?   I have a ton of those plug-in ones but I don't know how effective they are.

I was just looking for a better option for the many items/devices I have plugged in at several places here, there is 400+ wires behind my TV/sound system, 3 surge protectors there right now.. and about 40+wires  for both computer desks..

1 hour ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

If you can do whole house surge protection I'd go that way. I don't have any of my appliances on a surge protector but any electronics that I buy which cost more than a few hundred bucks goes behind a good surge protector. :bc:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Power went out here at 8 AM and the 22KW Generac whole house is humming right now. Had a 7500 KW portable for years…..pain in the ass to get out and it didn’t run the whole house just 6 circuits on the transfer switch.

5 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Many say:

"widely outlets" what does that mean?

Got  link you can copy and paste? Might help us figure out what widely outlets are??

Oh and go whole house if you can

Edited by Jerry 976

• Platinum Contributing Member
36 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Power went out here at 8 AM and the 22KW Generac whole house is humming right now. Had a 7500 KW portable for years…..pain in the ass to get out and it didn’t run the whole house just 6 circuits on the transfer switch.

That's next....had a Kohler whole house generator at my old place. Got it right after the storm Sandy and we lost power for maybe 20 minutes total during thunderstorms since then:lmao:.  ....so it was a waste but the peice of mind was worth it and may have added some value to the sale of home .

This new place I moved into loses power frequently and I've used the portable several times with the 6 circuit transfer switch.....will be going whole house standby Generator soon.  Just will have to get a large propane tank since there is no natural gas here.

1 hour ago, Jerry 976 said:

Got  link you can copy and paste? Might help us figure out what widely outlets are??

I posted the question on Amazon, folks responded and said it simply means the outlets are spaced further apart than normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry 976 said:

“Widely outlets” sounds like a piss poor Chinese translation.

Smaller load, voltage susceptible stuff is better off on a UPC IMO.

I ran into a fault last year that took out many devices in my neighbourhood.

A large transformer failed, essentially not causing an outage but a voltage drop to 90 volts once dropped down from the higher voltage transmission line. A constant 90 volts. My guess is a transformer shorted, but not enough to trip a breaker or fault out.

My wife noticed it, the AC heat pump was surging, so I put a meter in a socket. 90 volts to ground.

I shut my main breaker off and called my local utility and said they better do a full blackout.

Took them a few hours.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, SSFB said:

If you can do whole house surge protection I'd go that way. I don't have any of my appliances on a surge protector but any electronics that I buy which cost more than a few hundred bucks goes behind a good surge protector. :bc:

I would (do) even go a step further, all computers and electronics with smarts or hard drives are on a UPS.  

Then the internet is the last thing to go down in the house!  :lol:

I do also have somewhat unstable voltage due to cattle waters and such that can cause voltage to dip.

Neal

15 hours ago, Voodoo said:

“Widely outlets” sounds like a piss poor Chinese translation.

Smaller load, voltage susceptible stuff is better off on a UPC IMO.

I ran into a fault last year that took out many devices in my neighbourhood.

A large transformer failed, essentially not causing an outage but a voltage drop to 90 volts once dropped down from the higher voltage transmission line. A constant 90 volts. My guess is a transformer shorted, but not enough to trip a breaker or fault out.

My wife noticed it, the AC heat pump was surging, so I put a meter in a socket. 90 volts to ground.

I shut my main breaker off and called my local utility and said they better do a full blackout.

Took them a few hours.

Dang constant low voltage sucks.  It’s hard to justify a shut trip breaker unless it’s a more frequent issue.

Definitely UPC/UPS all computers or smart electronics though.  :bc:

Neal

• Like 1