Check your account email address ×

And another one.

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

I've spent $85k on my credit cards last month and didn't pay a single fee.  Some places may not allow that, but most you can still get by without paying the fee.

I'm not talking about the balance on your card, I'm talking about transactions where the vendor has a fee for using the credit card machine they don't own.  Telling a vendor you refuse to pay the fee ... especially on a high dollar item ... is going to end with, "Sorry I can't do that", likely, 99 times out of 100.  And the reason is because 99% of the time you're dealing with some schmuck who doesn't have the ability to eliminate that fee.  Is it possible?  Sure.  But it's not like you can do it every place you walk into and sure as hell not commonly with bigger ticket items.

• Like 1

I am not talking balance either.  Remodeling my lake place ATM and had no issue with anyone charging me a fee this month.  I don't typically ask for it to be removed at small restaurants and such but for bigger purchases I had no problems.  Didn't want to cash out stocks so slapped it on a card, lol

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Bontz said:

I'm not talking about the balance on your card, I'm talking about transactions where the vendor has a fee for using the credit card machine they don't own.  Telling a vendor you refuse to pay the fee ... especially on a high dollar item ... is going to end with, "Sorry I can't do that", likely, 99 times out of 100.  And the reason is because 99% of the time you're dealing with some schmuck who doesn't have the ability to eliminate that fee.  Is it possible?  Sure.  But it's not like you can do it every place you walk into and sure as hell not commonly with bigger ticket items.

And that's why you go somewhere else if they don't.

Most vendors are very upfront about this fee..... And many prefer cash now.

When I sold my house I had to get an ultraviolet light water treatment put in our water line. It was $1500 bucks And they told me right away that they'd have to charge 3% if I use a credit card.   Not a big deal, it would have been like an extra 40 bucks or so But I wrote a check instead.    I wasn't going out of my way to look for another water treatment service that may or may not waive the 3% fee.

The fee doesn't bother me at all And I'm usually able to pay cash when required and it makes sense.

The company installing my split system next week is letting me save about $1,400 since I'm paying cash and also had a lower estimate from another company. They must be making a pretty good buck to be able to do that And you know they're still making a good profit despite the $1400 discount.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Most vendors are very upfront about this fee..... And many prefer cash now.

When I sold my house I had to get an ultraviolet light water treatment put in our water line. It was $1500 bucks And they told me right away that they'd have to charge 3% if I use a credit card.   Not a big deal, it would have been like an extra 40 bucks or so But I wrote a check instead.    I wasn't going out of my way to look for another water treatment service that may or may not waive the 3% fee.

The fee doesn't bother me at all And I'm usually able to pay cash when required and it makes sense.

The company installing my split system next week is letting me save about $1,400 since I'm paying cash and also had a lower estimate from another company. They must be making a pretty good buck to be able to do that And you know they're still making a good profit despite the $1400 discount.

The fee bothers me because its added like a tax and the business can write it off anyway 100%.

I will not pay it.

7 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

The fee bothers me because its added like a tax and the business can write it off anyway 100%.

I will not pay it.

I don't know if this fee is fairly new or what..... Cuz like you, I used to use my credit cards a lot But now find myself using cash more and more.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I don't know if this fee is fairly new or what..... Cuz like you, I used to use my credit cards a lot But now find myself using cash more and more.

Only reason I use my CC is because of the benefits. If a business doesn't want to charge me tax, or give me a smoking deal, sure I'll use cash. Otherwise no thanks.

The fee is not new.

Edited by Steve753

13 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I am not talking balance either.  Remodeling my lake place ATM and had no issue with anyone charging me a fee this month.  I don't typically ask for it to be removed at small restaurants and such but for bigger purchases I had no problems.  Didn't want to cash out stocks so slapped it on a card, lol

I'll take things that didn't happen for $1000 Alex.:lol:

• Haha 2