Check your account email address ×

Surging home insurance costs could force families to leave these 10 states

29 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

4 of the largest insurance companies have pulled out of Florida. It’s only getting worse. 

insurance companies suck, but are masters of accounting.

their job is to extract as much money as possible from each and every customer and pay out as little as possible for each claim.

the Mafia had a similar business model... but this is all legal and legit.  

as my old boss used to say... look who has the biggest building in nearly every town.

insurance is worse than taxes, imo.  more $ comes out of my wife's paycheck for the family plan than taxes and FICA... and she works for a health care company.  our homeowners insurance is around $1700 annually.  three cars with a teen driver is another $1800.  

people bitch about the price of a dozen eggs but the insurance industry is strangling the nation far worse than corporate America.  

maybe we should all opt out... :roflcrying:

• Like 3

No talk about surging auto insurance rates on top of the homeowners rates?

How about only a small handful of companies that are even willing to write homeowners policies in Minnesota right now?

Edited by racinfarmer

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

How about only a small handful of companies that are even willing to write homeowners policies in Minnesota right now?

Yeah, it's interesting....you are required by law to have auto insurance, shouldn't be forced to buy any product if you don't want.

45 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Yeah, it's interesting....you are required by law to have auto insurance, shouldn't be forced to buy any product if you don't want.

haven't looked recently but what % of our auto insurance in WI is to cover UNINSURED MOTORISTS  ?

legal rape... 

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

We actually just switched homeowners and auto. Saved approx $300/year on homeowners. 

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

haven't looked recently but what % of our auto insurance in WI is to cover UNINSURED MOTORISTS  ?

legal rape... 

Don't even get me started on that bullshit.   LOL

On 2/23/2024 at 12:39 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

insurance companies suck, but are masters of accounting.

their job is to extract as much money as possible from each and every customer and pay out as little as possible for each claim.

the Mafia had a similar business model... but this is all legal and legit.  

as my old boss used to say... look who has the biggest building in nearly every town.

insurance is worse than taxes, imo.  more $ comes out of my wife's paycheck for the family plan than taxes and FICA... and she works for a health care company.  our homeowners insurance is around $1700 annually.  three cars with a teen driver is another $1800.  

people bitch about the price of a dozen eggs but the insurance industry is strangling the nation far worse than corporate America.  

maybe we should all opt out... :roflcrying:

That’s f’n gnarly. My homeowners was $1050/mo on a $250,000 home. Right now I pay $62/mo for the van and $50 for the Tundra that’s in storage. That’s with a $1M rider. I haven’t got a quote on the new digs sort’ve holding my breath. Haven’t had homeowners insurance in almost three years. 

4 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

We actually just switched homeowners and auto. Saved approx $300/year on homeowners. 

Our auto insurance went up 75% in a year 0 moving violations, 0 accident claims, and 2 glass claims in the last 5 years.  It costs us more to insure 3 vehicles then it does our house.

18 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

That’s f’n gnarly. My homeowners was $1050/mo on a $250,000 home. Right now I pay $62/mo for the van and $50 for the Tundra that’s in storage. That’s with a $1M rider. I haven’t got a quote on the new digs sort’ve holding my breath. Haven’t had homeowners insurance in almost three years. 

See above.  What you pay for your van is far less then I pay for a 7 year old Imapler with 166k on it with 0 claims in my name other then 1 windshield.  It costs us less to insure the race car hauler that has a substationally larger valuation then it does the Impala, the Silverado, or the Exploder. That blows my mind.  Absolutely floors me.

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Our auto insurance went up 75% in a year 0 moving violations, 0 accident claims, and 2 glass claims in the last 5 years.  It costs us more to insure 3 vehicles then it does our house.

See above.  What you pay for your van is far less then I pay for a 7 year old Imapler with 166k on it with 0 claims in my name other then 1 windshield.  It costs us less to insure the race car hauler that has a substationally larger valuation then it does the Impala, the Silverado, or the Exploder. That blows my mind.  Absolutely floors me.

I think it's because my vehicles are addressed in northern Wisconsin. Squirrels don't jack cars. 

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I think it's because my vehicles are addressed in northern Wisconsin. Squirrels don't jack cars. 

We are out in the flat lands of MN.  The closest stoplight is a 15 minute drive, the closest Wally or Target is 45 minutes.  Not something I exactly call high risk for theft, damage, etc.  

If you are from someplace like Edina, we are the end of civilization.  

Just now, racinfarmer said:

We are out in the flat lands of MN.  The closest stoplight is a 15 minute drive, the closest Wally or Target is 45 minutes.  Not something I exactly call high risk for theft, damage, etc.  

If you are from someplace like Edina, we are the end of civilization.  

That's weird. What accounts for that? I grew up all over the country, but I consider Red Wing my home town. Regardless, I'd never move to Minnesota. Even with my remaining family being there. I visit and leave. 

6 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

That's weird. What accounts for that? I grew up all over the country, but I consider Red Wing my home town. Regardless, I'd never move to Minnesota. Even with my remaining family being there. I visit and leave. 

Not sure, other then we are in MN.  

We priced out other options and they aren't any better.  

We built in 2019, so it isn't like we live in a 150 year old farm house, it isn't like we drive unsafe vehicles, on average we commute 25 miles round trip each, etc.

We've shopped around, and places that are willing to write an all in policy aren't any better then what we have now.

At least the most expensive sled is only $152/year.

Wonder what a KLR650 will be...

3 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Our auto insurance is more per year than our home as well. We don't even drive real new vehicles and yeah closest stoplight is 30 miles away. No accidents or tickets wife works from home and I drive 7 miles to work.