Check your account email address ×

Farmers are in revolt and Europe’s climate policies are crumbling. Welcome to the age of ‘greenlash’

1 hour ago, hayward said:

Can't believe this took a couple weeks to show it's face on fs.  It ain't on the msm much, either. 

American and Canadian farmers would never get away with what theyre doing in Europe right now. 

The farmers unions in Europe are massive strong.  There isn’t any organization like that in the US or Canada.

Neal

51 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

The farmers unions in Europe are massive strong.  There isn’t any organization like that in the US or Canada.

Neal

very heavily subsidized.  

51 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

I remember there being some in our area, but don't remember what they really were about.

Nothing like Europe, I'm sure.

I remember there being a Creamery Assn. my dad said would fill the highschool gym for their meetings, some other kind of dairy association, state maybe?

We still have a corn and soybean growers association and a cattleman's association, but I do not partake in them.

I'm thinking we'd be too fractured to for a local, state, regional, or national association to be effective. 

57 minutes ago, hayward said:

very heavily subsidized.  

The only way around subsidies is to fully open the market up to developing counties and their lower cost of production. That in turn opens a nation up to discontent from indigenous farmers and food security issues. There’s really no way around farmer subsidies. Subsidies and the market could be friendlier to small farms, but less people are interested in farming these days. It’s kind of amazing that the entire food supply hasn’t collapsed. 

32 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The only way around subsidies is to fully open the market up to developing counties and their lower cost of production. That in turn opens a nation up to discontent from indigenous farmers and food security issues. There’s really no way around farmer subsidies. Subsidies and the market could be friendlier to small farms, but less people are interested in farming these days. It’s kind of amazing that the entire food supply hasn’t collapsed. 

I don’t know about everybody else, but two things I see that interest any young people in farming right now, is getting bigger, and using expensive technology.  They don’t want to know how to use raw skills and torches and welders.  Farming that way takes $$$$$, and a few will figure it out and are figuring it out.  

Europe seems to have figured out how to keep farms small.  Maybe that’s due to all their subsidies?:dunno:

incredible.        

7 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

no youre right. farmers here have been beat down for a lllong time now.  i believe i misread your comment about the unions a few days ago..  they are banding together all over Europe to stop their governments from cutting their herds, flocks, gangs, whatever they farm to an unsustainable level. all in the name of Climate change.    such bullshit.   i dont understand how people dont or Wont see what they are doing,  

Edited by old indy

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 minutes ago, old indy said:

incredible.        

no your right. farmers here have been beat down for a lllong time now.  i believe i misread your comment about the unions a few days ago..  they are banding together all over Europe to stop their governments from cutting their herds, flocks, gangs, whatever they farm to an unsustainable level. all in the name of Climate change.    such bullshit.   i dont understand how people dont or Wont see what they are doing,  

What are you doing about it?

13 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

growing as much of my own food as i can.  :dunno:       as a former farmer myself ive seen the downfall of the family farm for many years now.  where do you live you cant see this?   

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You still don't have a fucking clue.

Moron.

Some people would rather sink their heads in the sand and not see the world for what it is i guess.

Edited by old indy

5 minutes ago, old indy said:

growing as much of my own food as i can.  :dunno:       as a former farmer myself ive seen the downfall of the family farm for many years now.  where do you live you cant see this?   

Some people would rather sink their heads in the sand and not see the world for what it is i guess.

Ive seen it first hand. Lifes to short to worry about it. 

9 minutes ago, old indy said:

So many people inherit the family farm and look at it as their lake place or second home.  Siblings can't get along and force a liquidation.  Mom and dad need it for their retirement.  No one wants to take over mom and dad's quarter or half or section, or mom and dad don't want their kids to take it over.

Lots of reasons for it.

It is sad to see to an extend and I'm not really sure what to do about it.

35 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

So many people inherit the family farm and look at it as their lake place or second home.  Siblings can't get along and force a liquidation.  Mom and dad need it for their retirement.  No one wants to take over mom and dad's quarter or half or section, or mom and dad don't want their kids to take it over.

Lots of reasons for it.

It is sad to see to an extend and I'm not really sure what to do about it.

as you know its a back breaking life and with the government continually making it impossible to make a profit, no one wants to do it for free.  i think the regulations they impose force people out of farming and i think much of that is done intentionally by big corp.  nothing else makes any sense. they want control of our food supply and what we use on it. 

is that for our own good?         like al used ta say,,,,,,, i dont think so tim..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Keep your head in the sand moron.

8 minutes ago, old indy said:

as you know its a back breaking life and with the government continually making it impossible to make a profit, no one wants to do it for free.  i think the regulations they impose force people out of farming and i think much of that is done intentionally by big corp.  nothing else makes any sense. they want control of our food supply and what we use on it. 

is that for our own good?         like al used ta say,,,,,,, i dont think so tim..

Doesn't seem like Rod the farmer on this forum is hurting. Maybe some people just dont have the business sense to be farmers.

25 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Doesn't seem like Rod the farmer on this forum is hurting. Maybe some people just dont have the business sense to be farmers.

Everyone's situation is different.  Doesn't mean someone's not good at business or not a good farmer.

• Like 1

I know one thing.  Current price of corn here is $4.20.  Guys in this area got that in the early 1980's, when they paid $.50/gallon for diesel fuel, $125/ton for fertilizer, lime was basically free just the cost of trucking and spreading, and a new combine was what, $40,000 at most?

How long's this going to last?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hayward said:

I know one thing.  Current price of corn here is $4.20.  Guys in this area got that in the early 1980's, when they paid $.50/gallon for diesel fuel, $125/ton for fertilizer, lime was basically free just the cost of trucking and spreading, and a new combine was what, $40,000 at most?

How long's this going to last?

Can’t be blaming anyone but the farmers for it.  I wonder how many X9s JD financial will be repoing…

Neal

• Haha 1