Check your account email address ×

Soon EV's will be Free

15 hours ago, HSR said:

The tech will advance in time, same as the ICE. I've replaced all ice yard tools and love it. Cut a truck load of wood with a 40V Husky and you'll never go back to gas.

12 hours ago, HSR said:

I can just barely fill my 6.5' box with dry pine on one charge. 

Fuck me, they can dig my gas powered Stihl tools out of my cold, dead hands. Go into the bush in the winter to cut ash with a pile of batteries, not going to happen. Blow fall leaves off my property with half dozen back-up batteries, ridiculous. I will empty the fuel tank on my backpack leaf blower, how many batteries would it take to accomplish same thing?

wood1.thumb.jpg.4e3eb9219381693fe8e66c7f84fea4a0.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I haven't bought any YET, but friends have bought batteries off Amazon for much less than OEM batteries, they claim they are as good as the OEM's.

You can "rebuild" battery packs with better cells pretty easy.

Considering I use mine sparingly I bought the ridgid ones as they include a lifetime battery replacement.  Already replaced them 3x.  Paid for the whole kit already.  Not the best tools, but if you really don't use them much they aren't bad.  Going to upgrade my drill to a Milwaukee, but use a Ridgid to Milwaukee battery converter, lol.

25 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Absolutely, not even close to Gas powered chainsaws.

Nice to have for a quick trimming of a few things, but not worth the $ to me to get one.  A hot 50cc is all I need though.  

9 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

Fuck me, they can dig my gas powered Stihl tools out of my cold, dead hands. Go into the bush in the winter to cut ash with a pile of batteries, not going to happen. Blow fall leaves off my property with half dozen back-up batteries, ridiculous. I will empty the fuel tank on my backpack leaf blower, how many batteries would it take to accomplish same thing?

wood1.thumb.jpg.4e3eb9219381693fe8e66c7f84fea4a0.jpg

Leaf blower difference is downright comical.  I have a Toro electric blower that I bought solely for cleaning my patio.  It has enough battery to clean the patio on a normal day, not a fall day, but a normal day.  7 min on high.  I have an Echo 9010 gas powered one and use that for cleaning snow.  It'll blow a 6" log around in the grass.  So much more power.  It does burn about a gallon of fuel in 45 min though...

3 hours ago, awful knawful said:

If you're using a faggot home Depot saw, maybe.

Cut 5 cord of hardwood with a electric saw?

No

I burned 15+ cords of wood per year for 17+ years bud , I don't need a lecture on power saws. I said a truck load of dry pine, approx. .5 of a cord.

No they will not replace all gas saws but I do know the majority of log trucker haulers carry them in their trucks for trimming loads around here too now. They have their place and for that they are fucking awesome.

25 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

You can "rebuild" battery packs with better cells pretty easy.

Considering I use mine sparingly I bought the ridgid ones as they include a lifetime battery replacement.  Already replaced them 3x.  Paid for the whole kit already.  Not the best tools, but if you really don't use them much they aren't bad.  Going to upgrade my drill to a Milwaukee, but use a Ridgid to Milwaukee battery converter, lol.

Nice to have for a quick trimming of a few things, but not worth the $ to me to get one.  A hot 50cc is all I need though.  

Leaf blower difference is downright comical.  I have a Toro electric blower that I bought solely for cleaning my patio.  It has enough battery to clean the patio on a normal day, not a fall day, but a normal day.  7 min on high.  I have an Echo 9010 gas powered one and use that for cleaning snow.  It'll blow a 6" log around in the grass.  So much more power.  It does burn about a gallon of fuel in 45 min though...

Didn't know they can be rebuilt, where can someone find the rebuild items for 60 volt and 20 volt DeWalt batteries?

9 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Didn't know they can be rebuilt, where can someone find the rebuild items for 60 volt and 20 volt DeWalt batteries?

Batteries Plus will rebuild battery packs for hand tools

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

In Duluth?

Probably.  I know they rebuild them in Oshkosh and was told at about 1/2 the cost of a new battery.  A carpenter in our club has been having his rebuilt for a couple years.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

Go into the bush in the winter to cut ash with a pile of batteries, not going to happen.

You do know that Battery powered Ice augers have taken the industry over from gas powered?? Yes they work in the winter.

Yes you can imagine all sorts of scenarios where they may not be ideal but I can do the same where they are.

Arborists have switched over for the weight loss and safety.

34 minutes ago, HSR said:

I burned 15+ cords of wood per year for 17+ years bud , I don't need a lecture on power saws. I said a truck load of dry pine, approx. .5 of a cord.

No they will not replace all gas saws but I do know the majority of log trucker haulers carry them in their trucks for trimming loads around here too now. They have their place and for that they are fucking awesome.

15 cords? Ever hear of insulation?

Battery saws are for homeowner jobs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

15 cords? Ever hear of insulation?

Battery saws are for homeowner jobs.

Ever hear of an outdoor wood boiler that heats 3 buildings plus house hot water??

I had a Taylor 750 with a 3' x 3' x 3' wood box. They weren't very efficient IMHO but living remote it was the best option at the time. My FIL would deliver 15 cords to our yard each year from his logging company.

11 minutes ago, Doug said:

Probably.  I know they rebuild them in Oshkosh and was told at about 1/2 the cost of a new battery.  A carpenter in our club has been having his rebuilt for a couple years.

You look at the Amazon link I posted? You can get 4 batteries for the price of 1 Dewalt and Dewalt dosen't make batteries so they're probably from the same place.

Just now, awful knawful said:

Boilers eat wood and most crack and need patching yearly.

How many battery charges to cut 15 cords of hardwood? 

What make/model did you run??? I'm betting your just going by heresay because I went 15 years before ANY repairs were needed.

As I've already stated, there is definitely a time and place for them. As the tech advances, so will the saws.

You guys are using the same arguments used against the ICE all over again.

Technological advances take time, always have. It's just now everyone demands everything NOW and if it's not ready , it will NEVER work. Again same arguments, different era.

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

You look at the Amazon link I posted? You can get 4 batteries for the price of 1 Dewalt and Dewalt dosen't make batteries so they're probably from the same place.

Tried rwo off Amazon when my old Dewalt style batteries were getting obsolete. Ripped 2 pcs of Plywood and the first battery was dead from being fully charged and the 2nd battery was no better.  Returned them

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

I've never looked.  As long as you can take them apart they are rather easy to.

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

I would assume that a rebuilt battery might cost more than some of these aftermarket batteries, not sure though as I've never had any rebuilt.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=20+volt+dewalt+batteries&crid=28SWWFBS8PPON&sprefix=20+volt+Dewalt+batteries%2Caps%2C152&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_24

Cheap chinese cells don't last for many cycles or as long.  Putting a real cell in them is always better.  Not sure what a service would use for cells, but if you are handy it isn't hard.

6 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I've never looked.  As long as you can take them apart they are rather easy to.

Cheap chinese cells don't last for many cycles or as long.  Putting a real cell in them is always better.  Not sure what a service would use for cells, but if you are handy it isn't hard.

Not sure about other brands, but DeWalt batteries are made in China.

Just Googled this:

China manufactures all of the battery-operated tools and electric drills from Milwaukee. In fact, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Makita, and Ryobi all manufacture their electric drills and battery tools in China.

18 hours ago, HSR said:

The tech will advance in time, same as the ICE. I've replaced all ice yard tools and love it. Cut a truck load of wood with a 40V Husky and you'll never go back to gas.

And it didn’t have to be mandated for you to switch?

intresting 

25 minutes ago, Rod said:

And it didn’t have to be mandated for you to switch?

intresting 

No I have never been mandated to switch anything to battery power in my life,,, have you?

4 minutes ago, HSR said:

No I have never been mandated to switch anything to battery power in my life,,, have you?

Nope I switched cause they’re better for me 

Just now, Rod said:

You’re pretty excited for your PM’s EV mandates hey?

Never happen. I'm not an emotional wreck about what might happen so that may be the difference here.