Check your account email address ×

Shock rebuild recommendation

I've been rebuilding shocks since 1993 and decided to step back and just do my own and a couple guys I ride with.  Since Covid parts are starting to get hard to get for shocks (especially fox) and have gone up in price.  If your shock body has a lot of oil residue on chances are the shaft is pitted and needs a new shaft and all new seals in the cap.  Shafts use to be $30.00 to $60.00 on average.  Now they're $45.00 to $110.00 each.  Last year multiple times I got 4 shocks and 2 out of the 4 needed shafts.  Now your standard rebuild went up min. $90.00 for new shafts and $40.00 for seals.  Some guys didn't want to put new shafts in so there you sit.  The shaft is just going to take the seals out again and guys are not doing to be happy.

Before you send your shocks in check the shafts for small pits.  If they have any pits you need to have new shafts put in.

20230417_110328.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what a basic rebuildable shock looks like inside.  No external reservoir of clicker on this one.

What happens is the oil will get contaminated and start breaking down which is time for a rebuild.  If you let it go to long the oil and nitrogen will start getting past the IFP seal and the IFP will start to drop.  This causes a void on the oil side and reduced pressure on the nitrogen side where the shock is loosing its dampening effect on the suspension.

If you have a pitted shaft damaging the seals and see a lot of oil residue on the shock body its losing the oil and the nitrogen side of the IFP is pushing the piston up and the oil out.

Shock view.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this TTT just in case any other procrastinators are out there (specifically for Polaris guys).  I worked with Andy the past few weeks and couldn't be happier with the communication and what I hope to see as great results with my VR1 shocks getting done.  He did a rebuild/revalve, shock piston, and dual rate spring upgrade for me.  I wish I could have ridden this thing in stock form to compare, but I'm certain I'll be way happier with the service Andy did for me.  I know other shops do great work too, but I can only say what I've experienced with Wenzlaff first hand .... and it was a really good experience.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Bringing this TTT just in case any other procrastinators are out there (specifically for Polaris guys).  I worked with Andy the past few weeks and couldn't be happier with the communication and what I hope to see as great results with my VR1 shocks getting done.  He did a rebuild/revalve, shock piston, and dual rate spring upgrade for me.  I wish I could have ridden this thing in stock form to compare, but I'm certain I'll be way happier with the service Andy did for me.  I know other shops do great work too, but I can only say what I've experienced with Wenzlaff first hand .... and it was a really good experience.

Procrastinators you say? :dunno:

20231126_191629.jpg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bontz said:

Knew Andy would get you taken care of.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1