Check your account email address ×

UAW workers launch unprecedented strike against all Big Three automakers

spin_dry

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, spin_dry said:

If someone has a good work ethic and works for shit wages then they’re retarded. 

So people in low income areas of Mexico are retarded? What other jobs, honest work,  in their areas pay as well for the unskilled / uneducated? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Wonder why the big 3 don’t close up shop and move production to some low wage country?  Why do they stay in the states with strong union presents?

I like union presents !!!!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Wonder why the big 3 don’t close up shop and move production to some low wage country?  Why do they stay in the states with strong union presents?

I like union presents !!!!

18 hours ago, XCR1250 said:
Politico

‘I don’t know what he’s done’: In the UAW president’s hometown, autoworkers lash out at Biden

Adam Wren
Fri, September 15, 2023 at 5:15 AM CDT·5 min read

KOKOMO, Ind. — At a union hall here in United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain's hometown, a half-eaten pizza and a bag of Werther's Original candies were spread out across a conference room table. Uncertainty about what would happen next — and frustration with the Democratic president, Joe Biden — hung in the air.

It was just after 9 p.m. on Thursday, and a dozen or so of the 150,000 union members employed by the Big Three automakers huddled at the Local 685, waiting on word from Fain ahead of an 11:59 p.m. expiration of their contract. Along with their fellow union members in this blue-collar city surrounded by farmland, they wanted the automakers — Stellantis, Ford and General Motors — to make concessions on pay, benefits and the workweek.

“Forty-five minutes — showtime,” said Garry Quirk, the president of the local.

Quirk, 60, had spent half his life as an auto worker in Kokomo, where he was born and raised. Before that, he’d worked in a meatpacking plant and served a stint in the U.S. Army. Now, for the first time in his three decades, Quirk was waiting to hear whether his union would participate in a targeted strike against all of the Big Three automakers. He’d spent the last day arranging for enough porta potties for his workers to survive hours-long picket-line shifts — to the tune of $2,000 a month. Earlier in the afternoon, he mowed his yard and downed a Monster Energy Drink.

Depending on how things shook out in less than an hour, Quirk might soon be on the picket lines.

At that moment, though, Quirk was preparing for Fain to livestream his decision about which plants would strike if an agreement wasn’t reached by midnight.

Would Fain, the Kokomo native who had risen through the ranks alongside Quirk, make a point out of one of his hometown locals, and have it lead the targeted strike?

“I wish I knew,” Quirk said. “If I did, I wouldn’t be here.”

Quirk sunk into his seat inside a conference room in the union hall and thumbed his phone before looking back up at the TV. A CNN chyron read: “AUTOWORKERS ON BRINK OF HISTORIC WALKOUT”.

Had Fain asked for too much? A 40 percent wage increase over the next four years?

“I think he did,” Quirk said. “And I think he set high standards and I think everybody knows that you gotta shoot high and then you can always go lower. In the past, we’ve always set low and we’ve settled for crumbs.” Quirk voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, and then Donald Trump in 2020.

Had President Joe Biden, the self-described “most pro-union president in American history,” done enough to forestall a strike?

“I don’t know what he’s done,” Quirk said. “Ask him. I don’t think he knows what he’s done. Seriously. I’m not trying to be mean.” Quirk wasn’t freelancing: Fain and the union haven’t yet endorsed Biden’s reelection, throwing into doubt Biden’s standing in autoworker-heavy communities like his.

Biden had spoken that day with Fain and auto company CEOs. The chair of Biden’s Council of Economic Advisers said this week that Biden had been “very much engaged.”

But his efforts weren’t resonating inside the union hall. Next to Quirk sat another committee member, Denny Butler. At 52, he was born in this town and would likely die in this town. Earlier Thursday, he left the union hall around 4 p.m. and, to calm his nerves, poured himself a cocktail: a Captain and Diet Coke.

He wasn’t supporting Biden or Trump at the moment, and he didn’t think either party was truly on autoworkers’ side.

“They’re all full of shit,” Butler said. “We haven’t had a president in there for years, with the exception of Trump, that was really for the people, all the way back to the Reagan days.”

“Historically, man, if you didn’t vote Democrat years ago, and you were in the union, sometimes you got your ass kicked,” he said. “Democrats were for the working people. That shit has changed. I’m telling you what, the Democratic Party was not what it was 20, 30 years ago.”

And there was Dave Johnson, a 64-year-old union committeeman. At 3 p.m, he had gone home to prepare for a strike. His wife was sick. He’d made her chicken noodle soup, and he ordered a pie from the local Pizza King — the one he brought to the union hall for others.

Johnson didn’t vote for Biden in 2020. And he won’t be voting for him next year.

“Terrible,” he said. “Can’t remember his own name. It needs to be someone else besides those two guys. I’d vote for Obama.”

Finally, at 9:53, p.m. seven minutes before his scheduled Facebook livestream, Fain’s decision came. A text flashed across Quirk’s screen from the UAW. It said that the first strikes would be at a GM plant in Wentzville, Mo., a Stellantis factory in Toledo, and Ford’s Michigan Assembly plant in Wayne.

“We didn’t get the first nod,” Quirk told the room, adding that he was surprised Fain’s Kokomo was spared — for now.

As 10 p.m. approached, the TV switched from CNN to Fain’s Facebook live feed. “We are using a new strategy,” Fain was saying. “We are calling on select locals to stand up and go out on strike.”

Still, the room knew the rolling strike could soon be here in Kokomo.

“Cut the checks,” a man in the back of the room yelled.

“Solidarity,” said another.

They spilled out into the parking lot beneath a milky black Indiana sky, and headed to meet with workers at the local’s four different plants to manage the fallout. There were tempers to tame, next steps to plan, and unnecessary porta-potties to manage.

“Unfortunately, I think we’re going to be in this for a while,” Butler said.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story misspelled Gary Quirk's name.

When it comes to the topic of fair wages, neither the R or D care about it. The only thing they care about is who’s donating money. I’m amazed at how fucked the country has become when people are championing low wages and demonizing those who are fighting for fairness. Disgusting. 

55 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

What is a fair wage now a days?

A guy I know here that gets $34 per hour working at a Bar north of us.

$34 per hour without any benefits or paid time off is a slaves wage. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

When it comes to the topic of fair wages, neither the R or D care about it. The only thing they care about is who’s donating money. I’m amazed at how fucked the country has become when people are championing low wages and demonizing those who are fighting for fairness. Disgusting. 

Who the fuck is opposing vs supporting those fighting for higher wages? :snack: Both siding it isn’t applicable on this subject.  

2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Who the fuck is opposing vs supporting those fighting for higher wages? :snack: Both siding it isn’t applicable on this subject.  

You’d have a nice new iron ore mine in northern Wisconsin paying serious wages if it weren’t for faggot ass nimby democrats. Fuck every democrat 

• Like 1

Why does anyone care what ICE vehicle manufactures go through? 

Let them and their business die.

Electric is where it's at...or not. I'm done handing out $$$ to private business..and governement too.

We've bailed this and other industry out more than enough times.

I'm surprised we are not still handing money out to buggy whips, hula hoops, solar and wind..

Oh wait...

Edited by Voodoo

1 hour ago, Voodoo said:

Why does anyone care what ICE vehicle manufactures go through? 

Let them and their business die.

Electric is where it's at...or not. I'm done handing out $$$ to private business..and governement too.

We've bailed this and other industry out more than enough times.

I'm surprised we are not still handing money out to buggy whips, hula hoops, solar and wind..

Oh wait...

None are just ICE anymore

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

She does have a License to bar tend and used to do it years ago including here down the road, she hated it.

I think I’d enjoy it in the right environment but in the wrong bar it would really suck 

I was 19 years old when I started at Belvidere assembly…..I was there over 10 years when Covid hit and fucked everything up. Did my time and took 8 years to get up to top pay. They cut 3rd shift….then 2nd shift….I barley made the cut on 1 shift. Then they slowed the line down to basically a skeleton crew…..then moved the product to Mexico. We were the the #2 plant in quality in North America of out of the big 3. Most of us got a letter in the mail…..transfer or lose all of your benefits/insurance in 2 weeks. Electric cars are not good for 90% or the public and definitely not good for the workforce. I loved my time there and enjoyed what I did and built every car like it was mine. Management truly doesn’t give a fuck about quality and it’s all about quantity. Sad they are willing to give up thousands of workers who actually know what they are doing to save a few bucks after billions in profit. Hopefully the the strike gets them the significant wage increases most of them deserve and most importantly some job security….I’m not saying a lot of these jobs are “skilled” but it’s definitely a lot more then the general public thinks….especially when they think the price of new cars is due to the people building them….that’s just comical. 

Edited by yami123
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, yami123 said:

I was 19 years old when I started at Belvidere assembly…..I was there over 10 years when Covid hit and fucked everything up. Did my time and took 8 years to get up to top pay. They cut 3rd shift….then 2nd shift….I barley made the cut on 1 shift. Then they slowed the line down to basically a skeleton crew…..then moved the product to Mexico. We were the the #2 plant in quality in North America of out of the big 3. Most of us got a letter in the mail…..transfer or lose all of your benefits/insurance in 2 weeks. Electric cars are not good for 90% or the public and definitely not good for the workforce. I loved my time there and enjoyed what I did and built every car like it was mine. Management truly doesn’t give a fuck about quality and it’s all about quantity. Sad they are willing to give up thousands of workers who actually know what they are doing to save a few bucks after billions in profit. Hopefully the the strike gets them the significant wage increases most of them deserve and most importantly some job security.

Where did you end up going ?

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Where did you end up going ?

I went to a Mopar plant out near Boston,MA. Loved it and it was like a country club compared to the assembly line. I got my transfer money and hit the road. The cost of living and housing was insane out there. Couldn’t afford to live there with a family to provide for. I got lucky and am an apprentice for an electrician now. Will be more money in the long run. But i definitely miss the people. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, yami123 said:

I went to a Mopar plant out near Boston,MA. Loved it and it was like a country club compared to the assembly line. I got my transfer money and hit the road. The cost of living and housing was insane out there. Couldn’t afford to live there with a family to provide for. I got lucky and am an apprentice for an electrician now. Will be more money in the long run. But i definitely miss the people. 

What state are you in?