Check your account email address ×

The End Of Van Halen

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I was always more of an Ac/DC fan growing up but David Lee Roth made Van Halen IMO.   Like Steve said, I associate Sammy Hagar with Drive 55 more than anything he did with VH.    Liked quite a bit with Sammy but still not the same. Saw VH once in Madison Square Garden and Roth entered on a huge swing and was doing high Karate kicks throughout the concert.....great entertainer and quite athletic also. Great show.

I also liked Ac/DC with Bon Scott as singer too......they died with Bon IMO.  All albums leading up to Bons death we're getting better and better and putting AC/DC on the map.... Highway to hell, the last album with Scott is my favorite all-time album by any performer..I like every track .....then came along Johnson.  Back in Black was good, I think mainly because H to H gave them a lot of notoriety and exposure ...but every album after that went downhill and the last one I ever bought was ..For those About To Rock...only good tunes on that were the title song and maybe Night of the Long knives.  Man how I wanted to keep liking them but  lost interest  after that.   ......if only Bon hadn't passed.:sad:

:bc:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I was always more of an Ac/DC fan growing up but David Lee Roth made Van Halen IMO.   Like Steve said, I associate Sammy Hagar with Drive 55 more than anything he did with VH.    Liked quite a bit with Sammy but still not the same. Saw VH once in Madison Square Garden and Roth entered on a huge swing and was doing high Karate kicks throughout the concert.....great entertainer and quite athletic also. Great show.

I also liked Ac/DC with Bon Scott as singer too......they died with Bon IMO.  All albums leading up to Bons death we're getting better and better and putting AC/DC on the map.... Highway to hell, the last album with Scott is my favorite all-time album by any performer..I like every track .....then came along Johnson.  Back in Black was good, I think mainly because H to H gave them a lot of notoriety and exposure ...but every album after that went downhill and the last one I ever bought was ..For those About To Rock...only good tunes on that were the title song and maybe Night of the Long knives.  Man how I wanted to keep liking them but  lost interest  after that.   ......if only Bon hadn't passed.:sad:

As far as singing talent, Roth was horrible live, most of the time he forgot the lyrics. Sammy Hagar blew him right out of the water in that dept.

Laughing GIFs | Tenor

The fella below made VH.............fact.

Eddie Van Halen: In Memoriam — Omerisms

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoughnut said:

As far as singing talent, Roth was horrible live, most of the time he forgot the lyrics. Sammy Hagar blew him right out of the water in that dept.

Laughing GIFs | Tenor

The fella below made VH.............fact.

Eddie Van Halen: In Memoriam — Omerisms

Probably right, but it's funny that I saw VH in concert with David Lee some 30 plus years ago and all I remember is Roth on that swing and his Karate kicks....he was an excellent showman.  Not even sure if he remembered the lyrics.....I was drunk, he may have been drunk:lol:... didn't really matter.

I also remember a few real good riffs from Eddie:bc:     Good concert for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Probably right, but it's funny that I saw VH in concert with David Lee some 30 plus years ago and all I remember is Roth on that swing and his Karate kicks....he was an excellent showman.  Not even sure if he remembered the lyrics.....I was drunk, he may have been drunk:lol:... didn't really matter.

I also remember a few real good riffs from Eddie:bc:     Good concert for sure.

You are a real fucking faggot 

16 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You are a real fucking faggot 

Yeah....it was a blast. Had a great time and Roth is much more memorable than your Hagar to anyone who just casually followed VH.   Bank on it.     But at least Hager will always be popular with his can't drive 55 tune.    :thumbsup:.... Just didn't belong in VH IMO

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Didn't buy any VH albums with Hager in it...... Only albums I ever bought was Diver Down and the one with Unchained in it  ..whatever album that was.   Again, I was never a VH groupie

FaIr Warning.

How many bands in history were a huge success then changed the lead singer and remained at the top?

Its pretty amazing what Van Halen was able to do and the credit goes to Eddie. He was able to adapt from Roth's lyrics to Hagar's. And he changed with the music trends of the time bringing in keyboards. Eddie was a musically genius.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

How many bands in history were a huge success then changed the lead singer and remained at the top?

Its pretty amazing what Van Halen was able to do and the credit goes to Eddie. He was able to adapt from Roth's lyrics to Hagar's. And he changed with the music trends of the time bringing in keyboards. Eddie was a musically genius.

Yes sir he was. No to mention, he never learned how to read sheet music.

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Its pretty amazing what Van Halen was able to do and the credit goes to Eddie. He was able to adapt from Roth's lyrics to Hagar's. And he changed with the music trends of the time bringing in keyboards. Eddie was a mugenius.

ACDC did it and ended up with one of the best selling albums of all time.

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

ACDC did it and ended up with one of the best selling albums of all time.

ACDCs music all sounds the same with Brian Johnson at the helm. Bon was by far a better lead singer.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve753 said:

ACDCs music all sounds the same with Brian Johnson at the helm. Bon was by far a better lead singer.

I like them both equally.

No arguing they went through the stratosphere with Brian.

• Like 1

saw VH in 1984

thy did eruption and eddy was at the time still playing coy with how he did it so he had his back to the crowd for the start of it and then swung around to "reveal" the secret. LoL

Dave had a big bottle of jack on stage that he pretty much put down and you could hear him going downhill because of it. LoL

He did bring out the samurai sword and did his high kick thing.  

All in all at the time it was a good show. 

28 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

You're not a true VH fan. All VH albums with the exception of VH 3 were fantastic. 

So? Is there an award if you are? 

I hate Monte Carlos as well after 87.

:lol:

6 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

So? Is there an award if you are? 

I hate Monte Carlos as well after 87.

There's actually an award if you are not a true VH fan. :lmao:

Rafi Middle Finger GIF - Rafi Middle Finger Fu - Discover & Share GIFs

Just now, snoughnut said:

There's actually an award if you are not a true VH fan. :lmao:

Rafi Middle Finger GIF - Rafi Middle Finger Fu - Discover & Share GIFs

:bc:

• Like 1

• USA Contributing Member

Old Van Halen is my favorite, when 1984 was released I was disappointed with Jump even though many embraced it.  Wished they stayed away from the keyboard.

Saw them with Sammy, music definitely changed but for the most part was still good.

DLR changed and got fruity, Van Halen could never be the same after he left.   

• Like 2

Just now, $poorsledder$ said:

Old Van Halen is my favorite, when 1984 was released I was disappointed with Jump even though many embraced it.  Wished they stayed away from the keyboard.

Saw them with Sammy, music definitely changed but for the most part was still good.

The word you're looking for is commercial.  VH became that starting with 1984. It's the downfall of alot of bands. 

1 minute ago, $poorsledder$ said:

No doubt Jump is lame but it resonated with the popular music geeks. Even the Roth era had some stupid songs like Ice Cream Man, Happy Trails and Big Bad Bill, those were gay as hell. :lmao: