Check your account email address ×

Marijuana is being de-scheduled

Let’s go Brandon…..

Marijuana is being de-scheduled

[link:https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/us-health-agency-recommends-easing-federal-marijuana-restrictions-rcna102642| 
By Julie Tsirkin and Laura Strickler 

WASHINGTON — The Department of Health and Human Services is formally recommending that the Drug Enforcement Administration ease government restrictions on marijuana, which remains illegal at the federal level even though 40 states allow its use in some form.

The move comes 11 months after President Joe Biden ordered the top health agency to conduct a review of the drug. The recommendation is to move marijuana from what’s known as a Schedule I drug to Schedule III, under the Controlled Substances Act.

In the eyes of the DEA, cannabis is in the same category as other Schedule I drugs like heroin and LSD, meaning it’s considered to have a high potential for abuse and no accepted medical use.

A spokesperson for HHS said it has “expeditiously” responded to the directive in providing its recommendation to the DEA on Tuesday.

If the DEA were to reschedule cannabis to Schedule III, it would most notably eliminate an IRS code intended to prevent drug dealers from claiming tax deductions for business expenses.

That alone could save the marijuana industry hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Small-business owners who spoke to NBC News said the inability to deduct what would otherwise be ordinary business expenses is their single biggest financial burden.

Now that HHS has made its recommendation, all eyes are on the DEA, which has the ultimate authority on scheduling substances.

The Biden administration had hoped to announce the rescheduling of the drug sometime in the fall, around the one-year mark of the president's request for the review, according to five sources familiar with planning. It's not yet clear how long the DEA’s public review process will take.

When reached for comment, a DEA spokesperson said: "We can confirm DEA received a letter from the Department of Health and Human Services providing its findings and recommendation on marijuana scheduling, pursuant to President Biden’s request for a review."

"DEA will now initiate its review,” the spokesperson added.

Edited by Mainecat

11 hours ago, hayward said:

Biden throwing a hale marry

That would be a Hail Mary. :lol: Your folks must not have dragged you to church every Sunday like mine did. 

• Gold Member

As more and more states legalize it for recreational use the harder it becomes for the Feds to keep it restricted. In my industry and many others the government has taken a hardline no on its usage. I'm betting at some point tho someone sues because of this and the government loses. I  mean, for sailors anyway, what harm am I doing when I have 3 weeks off and I smoke a couple of joints? None at all. Not one single person will be put at risk because of that. As it is now the Coasties are considering going to hair follicle tests, complete bullshit.