Check your account email address ×

jimmy carter

26 minutes ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

appears the ole fart is in final days. while i found him to be a vile excuse for a president. (little out of his league), cant take away the fact he is a fine human being. be a loss for the good of humanity

I agree. Good man who was too good for the job. I think that he overestimated his fellow man's ability to be decent, honest and caring individuals.

Edited by J. Jackson
  • Like 4

Jimmy is a good man. As far as president he wasnt as trigger happy as our pentagon would have liked him to be. And he did write that book calling Israel an apartied state so the joos kinda didnt like that either. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

His Presidency was a disaster but he did come into office during some challenging times.   He always appeared to be a very, very decent man.   

Edited by Highmark

One of my favorite Jimmy Carter stories was the time he attempted a 10K while President at 55 years old.  Can’t imagine our current or previous doing nearly as well.  8 minute miles really isn’t a bad pace for someone that age.  

WASHINGTON, Sept. 15 — President Carter, wobbling, moaning and pale with exhaustion, dropped out of a 6.2‐mile foot race today near his weekend retreat at Camp David, Md. The President, an avid jogger who will be 55 years old on Oct. 1, apparently suffered no lasting ill effects after abandoning the run near the twothirds mark.

Although he had to be assisted from the course by Secret Service agents and was given smelling salts, he later appeared at an awards ceremony and picnic to congratulate the winner. Asked how he felt, he gave the crowd a thumbs‐up sign and said:

“I feel great. I pressed myself too much. But they had to drag me off. didn't want to stop.”

Still an ‘Evangelist’ on Running

Mr. Carter offered his congratulations and a classic Carter grin to the first‐place finisher, Herb Lindsay of Boulder, Colo. “I never thought you'd beat me,” he said, in jest, adding that he was still a running “evangelist.”

After checking the President over, Dr. William Lukash, the White House physician, said there was “no reason” for con- cern about Mr. Carter's health. “He's in good physical condition,” Dr. Lukash added.

Mr. Carter was one of some 980 runners, about 100 of whom dropped out before the finish, in the race over steep hills

A Stanford study urges joggers to pay more attention to minor discomforts while they are exercising. Page 40.

in Catoctin Mountain Park. He was accompanied by Dr. Lukash and a small cluster of aides and Secret Service agents, some on foot, others in vehicles.

The President was running up a hill, near the four‐mile mark, when he dropped out. Dr. Lukash advised him to quit after noting that he was pale, wobbling and moaning, standard signs of exhaustion for runners.

Mr. Carter, who is as competitive in sports as he is in politics, protested momentarily, but took his physician's advice. The Secret Service agents helped him to the side of the road and into a car for the ride back to Camp David.

“It looked like he just pooped out,” Dr. Alan Golden, a runner who was nearby, recalled later. “We had been running along at a good clip, about eight minutes to the mile, mostly downhill. Then we started up this steep hill and he began to wobble and moan a little. He looked ashen.”
Dr. Golden, a dentist from Dale City, Va., said that the course was unusually tough. “I normally run 10,000 meters” 6.2 miles — “in about 45 minutes,” he added. “This time it took 50.”

Mr. Carter has been jogging for about year, joining more than 25 million Americans who have taken up the sport in the last decade. He normally runs around the drive behind the White House, but on weekends he takes to the roads near Camp David, including the road used in today's race.

White House aides said this afternoon that he had not previously run competitively except while he was at the Naval Academy, where he won a cross‐country letter as a plebe. In a recent interview, the President termed jogging “one of the high points of my day.” He said he tried to run each afternoon, varying the distance from three to seven miles.

“I start looking forward to it almost from the minute I get up,” he added. “If don't run, I don't feel exactly right. carry a watch, and I can click off a mile in six and a half minutes when I really turn it on.”

After today's race, the President said that he had been pushing hard to cut four minutes off his best previous time for 10,000 meters, which he reported was 50 minutes. “It's a great thing, running,” he continued. “We have added a new dimension to our lives and I hope that in the future all of you will become evangelists, as I am, to get more and more Americans to run.

“I think the basis we are laying in races like this will show us to victory in international competition in the future. But the main thing is for those of us who are senior citizens and joggers to keep on as well.”

5 hours ago, Plissken said:

IMG_3988.jpeg

On December 12, 1952, an accident with the experimental NRX reactor at Atomic Energy of Canada's Chalk River Laboratories caused a partial meltdown, resulting in millions of liters of radioactive water flooding the reactor building's basement. This left the reactor's core ruined.[30] Carter was ordered to Chalk River to lead a U.S. maintenance crew that joined other American and Canadian service personnel to assist in the shutdown of the reactor.[31] The painstaking process required each team member to don protective gear and be lowered individually into the reactor for 90 seconds at a time, limiting their exposure to radioactivity while they disassembled the crippled reactor. When Carter was lowered in, his job was simply to turn a single screw.

16 hours ago, Plissken said:

IMG_3988.jpeg

I'm always amazed at the people exposed to radiation thousands of times the recommended level and then they live into their 90's.   

1 minute ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

i am sure the ole guys health care providers are better than ours

Wasn't talking about him but in general.   Some guys lived a long time who were in or near the Chernobyl accident and they were almost all heavy drinkers and smokers.