Check your account email address ×

Beef…It’s What’s For Dinner

• Platinum Contributing Member

Local guy raises beef and it’s finished on grain…good stuff. What sucks is that Charlevoix lacks any decent sort of meat market or butcher shop. We have plenty of touristy bullshit though! 🤣

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Local guy raises beef and it’s finished on grain…good stuff. What sucks is that Charlevoix lacks any decent sort of meat market or butcher shop. We have plenty of touristy bullshit though! 🤣

The guys around here feed grain last 90 days. It's pretty good stuff. 

• Like 1

• Advertising Member
2 hours ago, f7ben said:

I bought a 1/4 of a Wagyu grown in North Carolina and it was grained its entire life. It’s a different beef experience for sure. I’ve eaten local beef that has had nothing but grass and it tasted like shit. 

True story....my pops is finishing out 2 wagyu calves for us (one steer and 1 heifer) I CANNOT WAIT.  That being said he finishes out 20 head of angus steers a year so I already eat really good beef as it is...but I'm hoping for next level shit here.  Finished in 18 months....he grinds his own feed, bales his own hay, so he controls the whole process.  Butcher ages them for right at 30 days before cutting.  Devil is in the details.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Man some of you dudes put way too much thought into beef.  I go to the butcher, buy a strip loin or tenderloin, have them whip up a bunch of inch and a half steaks.  And grill it.  Delicious.  I don't stand there like a dork..... "Ohhhh was that grass fed?  Grain finished?  Ohhhh that marbling is unacceptable!"  :lol:  wgaf.

It’s often farmers that are cheap and want to sell a 1/2 or whole cow direct to the consumer and it ends up being kinda shitty beef lol

beef quality is a real thing. When you order that $40-50 dollar steak at a high end steak house, the supplier will reimburse the restaurant and the menu price if someone complains about the beef quality  

1 hour ago, Seatofmypants said:

True story....my pops is finishing out 2 wagyu calves for us (one steer and 1 heifer) I CANNOT WAIT.  That being said he finishes out 20 head of angus steers a year so I already eat really good beef as it is...but I'm hoping for next level shit here.  Finished in 18 months....he grinds his own feed, bales his own hay, so he controls the whole process.  Butcher ages them for right at 30 days before cutting.  Devil is in the details.

Yes the guy I got the wagyu from is a retired big shot architect who does this as a retirement hobby. He does it exactly as you described. It’s insane how different the beef is. 

• Advertising Member
9 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yes the guy I got the wagyu from is a retired big shot architect who does this as a retirement hobby. He does it exactly as you described. It’s insane how different the beef is. 

Dad is retired....so that is what he likes to fuck with.  That being said, he needs to chill out, he's getting old and I'd hate to see him get hurt around the farm.

1 hour ago, Seatofmypants said:

My buddy does pretty much the exact thing. They're fed feed they grind, silage and high quality hay/baleage. The butcher comes right to the farm and they're hanging within a half hour.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

Are you high?  Grain and hay only for my beef.

No....although the main difference is corn silage and some soy.  Not talking feedlot shit, but family farm TMR.  Fat caps get thicker, but the marbling is always well beyond prime.

• Like 1

• Advertising Member
Just now, Deephaven said:

No....although the main difference is corn silage and some soy.  Not talking feedlot shit, but family farm TMR.  Fat caps get thicker, but the marbling is always well beyond prime.

My man.  

4 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

I will say as feeders they are started on grass and moved into the lot when they are like 7-800 lbs.  Then they don't see any grass the rest of their days.

:bc: 

Same. On pasture until weaning then usually only grass is hay.

Snapchat-1144972202.jpg

• Like 1