Check your account email address ×

Backcountry XRS

• Platinum Contributing Member

I have been checking them out on Marketplace…2019 and up…and wondering what the skinny is on these sleds…comparable to a SB Assault? Trail manners? 850 Etec pros/ cons?🤔

Probably similar trail manners to am assault. But I also hate assaults on the trail lol

etecs are whatever. Not Polaris level bad but also not Suzuki level good. Expensive to repair the DI

its a doo so fit and finish is always the best but it’ll probably eat belts 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

On a ‘24…I think on earlier models you can adjust it out to 41”

idk... but unless I rode off trail more than 50% of the time it wouldn't even enter my radar, plus... I don't do Doo's

• Thanks 1

Much worse trail manners than an assault. I would never buy one unless I was almost always off trail. The assault is an absolute trail weapon. The bcx is a bucking donkey 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Much worse trail manners than an assault. I would never buy one unless I was almost always off trail. The assault is an absolute trail weapon. The bcx is a bucking donkey 

No crossover can keep up to the old f chassis in the trails. Buddy with an assault who’s absolutely retarded in the trails doesn’t even make me break a sweat to keep up to him 

but when he’s on his ultra… good lord. It’s all I can do to keep up 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ACE said:

No crossover can keep up to the old f chassis in the trails. Buddy with an assault who’s absolutely retarded in the trails doesn’t even make me break a sweat to keep up to him 

but when he’s on his ultra… good lord. It’s all I can do to keep up 

What year assault , I got my buddy a 2018 last year with 1.25 track etc. It’s a slight bit more work on the trail but still rails if you work it. 

• Like 1

The timing of this thread is almost comical, as I spent almost and hour bullshitting with a guy last night about snowmobiling out west.  One of the guys he goes out there with is a buddy of mine, who made the jump from Cat to Doo the past couple years.  My buddy bought a Back Country prior to the trip out West, and was super impressed with it ... except on trail.  He said it's definitely meant for boondocking & wasn't super impressed with the trail manners it had.  I think he was most impressed with the etec vs. the chassis.

• Thanks 1

Out of all the sleds I’ve drove I think the riot was maybe the best crossover in the trails 

also put a weekend on a lynx. Not the best thing on the corners but man it was like riding a cloud across a rough lake 

if you’re 75% trails I’d recommend a 137 RR or XRS with a sno X track 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, f7ben said:

What year assault , I got my buddy a 2018 last year with 1.25 track etc. It’s a slight bit more work on the trail but still rails if you work it. 

I’ll ask. I’m not a Polaris nurd. But it’s still an 800

the early assaults are terrible in the trail imo 

Just now, ACE said:

I’ll ask. I’m not a Polaris nurd. But it’s still an 800

the early assaults are terrible in the trail imo 

Yes up to 2017 they were horrible 

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Seen buddies new Polaris 850 and man their build quality is pretty deadly now 

Yup really nice sleds , I don’t like their engine management at all though. 

I still think of you’re mostly on trail you’re better off with a strictly trail sled with a good track 

the cat RR is phenomenal in the corners 

and the camso sno X track is a friggin weapon 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Gud poast!

44 minutes ago, ACE said:

Out of all the sleds I’ve drove I think the riot was maybe the best crossover in the trails 

also put a weekend on a lynx. Not the best thing on the corners but man it was like riding a cloud across a rough lake 

if you’re 75% trails I’d recommend a 137 RR or XRS with a sno X track 

the Euro-Spec (International) Cat's used to get a 1.75" lug track... idk if they're still doing that though

another used Cat option would be the older XF Cross Country... with a reliable Suzuki engine

buddy of mine had an Axys Assault and it did much better on the trail than I imagined it could, but with a 600 and 1.25" he struggled a bit off trail when he went with another friend of ours doing actual off trail riding.  an Assault 850 with a 1.6 Cobra or Back Country X is supposed to be a pretty damn good sled in both worlds... allegedly.

here's some silly Canadians opinions... 

• Like 1

I can only speak to my 2018 Assault (the 800 Polaris, not the 850) ... and I tell ya what, that was a fun sled - even when 95% of my riding consists of trail riding.  Where it sucked was tight woods riding and trying to really motor along.  That longer track, even with the tipped rails, made for work when really wicking it up.  But it was a pretty decent rough trail sled, and it was a rocket on the lakes ... for a 2-stroke.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I can only speak to my 2018 Assault (the 800 Polaris, not the 850) ... and I tell ya what, that was a fun sled - even when 95% of my riding consists of trail riding.  Where it sucked was tight woods riding and trying to really motor along.  That longer track, even with the tipped rails, made for work when really wicking it up.  But it was a pretty decent rough trail sled, and it was a rocket on the lakes ... for a 2-stroke.  

Accurate 

2 hours ago, Bontz said:

The timing of this thread is almost comical, as I spent almost and hour bullshitting with a guy last night about snowmobiling out west.  One of the guys he goes out there with is a buddy of mine, who made the jump from Cat to Doo the past couple years.  My buddy bought a Back Country prior to the trip out West, and was super impressed with it ... except on trail.  He said it's definitely meant for boondocking & wasn't super impressed with the trail manners it had.  I think he was most impressed with the etec vs. the chassis.

The 24 is much better on trail.