Check your account email address ×

gas tax hike?

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

what were you saying about my team not proposing it?

5 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

:lol:

House GOP leader sees gas tax as politically unfeasible

By Keith Laing - 06/22/15 09:00 AM EDT

"House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Monday that a gas tax hike is unlikely to be approved by Congress this year. 

Transportation advocates have pushed for a gas tax increase to help pay for an extension of an infrastructure funding measure that is scheduled to expire on July 31.

But McCarthy said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal on Monday that the reality of politics makes raising the gas tax unlikely. He went on to say that it will be difficult to come up with a funding source to pay for five years of highway funding."

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/245684-mccarthy-on-gas-tax-politically-that-will-not-make-it

4 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Rep. Paul Ryanpaul_ryan.jpg?itok=piwsczEyPaul RyanHow to end the abuse of must-pass legislationTrump, GOP off to a rocky startPence follows George H.W. Bush as vice president modelMORE (R-Wis.) said Wednesday that he is "against raising the gas tax" as lawmakers seek a solution for the looming gap in highway funding.

Transportation advocates have pushed for a gas tax increase to help pay for a long-term extension of an infrastructure funding measure that is scheduled to expire on July 31.

But Ryan started off a long-awaited hearing on the topic of infrastructure funding by ruling out such a hike. 

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/245253-ryan-im-against-raising-the-gas-tax

Are you happy now?  Repugs are coming out against it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :lol: 

Kind of flies in the face of what you posted.

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

Are you happy now?  Repugs are coming out against it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :lol: 

Kind of flies in the face of what you posted.

look at the dates of the articles ya dingaling. :lol:

I even bolded and re-sized the first one for ya and you still missed it.

Edited by Snoslinger

(R-Wis.) said Wednesday that he is "against raising the gas tax" as lawmakers seek a solution for the looming gap in highway funding.

I know how about we ban the using gas tax to fund anything but roads and bridges ? no trains no bike paths no Amtrak just roads that will tighten the gab  

I have no issue with raising the fuel tax,    Gas tax is probably the fairest tax there is as it's a user paid tax and while economy has gone up the revenue is not keeping pace in any way with the actual costs.  Keep that tax going towards the roads and I don;t know why anyone would bitch considering how poor most roads/bridges really are.   Diesel should be 50% more expensive than gas as well not the 1/3 more considering the large amount of wear and tear that is due to the big rigs.  

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I have no issue with raising the fuel tax,    Gas tax is probably the fairest tax there is as it's a user paid tax and while economy has gone up the revenue is not keeping pace in any way with the actual costs.  Keep that tax going towards the roads and I don;t know why anyone would bitch considering how poor most roads/bridges really are.   Diesel should be 50% more expensive than gas as well not the 1/3 more considering the large amount of wear and tear that is due to the big rigs.  

Deisel being that much more expensive would cost you more then you would know....

Youre not seeing the bigger picture obviously.

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Deisel being that much more expensive would cost you more then you would know....

nope i am good with the fact that prices of everything transported by road needs to go up accordingly.  As i said roads tax are one of the few things that are truly paid by the users.  I will say I think the $7 in tolls i have to pay going back and forth to Jackman all winters a bit ridiculous,  states should also raise fuel taxes to pay for their side of the infrastructure contribution.  

The big picture is that driving up fuel economy defunded the historic model,  index the fuel tax to inflation so it doesn't need to keep being addressed just like we need to do with things like the minimum wage.  

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Dave said:

When diesel was $4 a gallon for a few years, instead of the 2.79 the trinket from china that it delivered didn't go up. But a penny or 2....

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

When diesel was $4 a gallon for a few years, instead of the 2.79 the trinket from china that it delivered didn't go up. But a penny or 2....

Maybe its different in the US...but the price of food and goods has gone up alot in Canada.

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Dave said:

Maybe its different in the US...but the price of food and goods has gone up alot in Canada.

Did food go back down in price when fuel dropped?

Edited by BOHICA

Just now, Dave said:

even while fuel prices have gone down.  Which is my point that you have to have the revenue keep track with inflation,  road construction costs aren't ever going down so to try to fund it with the same tax rate as put into place 20 years ago while CAFE requirements rose dramatically is just silly

990px-CAFE_mpg_curve_from_NHTSA's_Summar

2 hours ago, SnowRider said:

Why don't we address the major wound before we worry about the paper cut?  Of course there are many R's who adhere to the Nordquist mindset of absolutely no new taxes.....but I'm sure somewhere in the fine print that only applies when a D is president . 

But then again with the clown in Washington we can roll back CAFE standards so we don't have to raise taxes :lol:

Trumps gonna roll back the epa so we can bring back 2 stroke triples! Merica!!!!

3 minutes ago, Dave said:

That's because the Canadian dollar is monopoly money now!

1 minute ago, GGNHL said:

That's because the Canadian dollar is monopoly money now!

You say that now....till your next big recession and ours is worth more again.

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

even while fuel prices have gone down.  Which is my point that you have to have the revenue keep track with inflation,  road construction costs aren't ever going down so to try to fund it with the same tax rate as put into place 20 years ago while CAFE requirements rose dramatically is just silly

990px-CAFE_mpg_curve_from_NHTSA's_Summar

Maybe if i didnt own deisels i would think differently....but I do see what you're saying.

1 minute ago, Dave said:

You say that now....till your next big recession and ours is worth more again.

Honestly that would help out the industries I care about quite a bit to have it go back to par, but I still like snowmobiling in Canada for (relatively) cheap right now!

Just now, GGNHL said:

Honestly that would help out the industries I care about quite a bit to have it go back to par, but I still like snowmobiling in Canada for (relatively) cheap right now!

Well i like going to Florida and Vegas for cheap...so there. :lol:

37 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Ever seen how much DOT and FMCSA fines are?  They should be able to fund the entire government on what they currently drag out of that.

• Gold Member

If it cost a big rigger an extra $150 to go a 1000 miles it will cost an extra 3/8 of a penny per pound on 40,000 lbs load of bacon to go 1000 miles to the store.  Not even a full penny more per pound on a full load to go 1000 miles

8 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

If it cost a big rigger an extra $150 to go a 1000 miles it will cost an extra 3/8 of a penny per pound on 40,000 lbs load of bacon to go 1000 miles to the store.  Not even a full penny more per pound on a full load to go 1000 miles

Exactly.  An extra $150 to haul 40,000lbs is only $.37 per pound.  Not really a huge increase.  

Breaking it down even further.  At say 5mpg it takes 200 gallons of fuel to move 40,000 lbs 1000 miles.  If diesel is $3/gal and we added a $.50/gal tax to it the cost of the load would only increase $.26/lb.  

We need a higher fuel tax.  

15 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

It all ads up...youve obviously have always worked for the man.