Check your account email address ×

79 Years Ago Today

• Platinum Contributing Member

Seen a documentary on a military correspondent that filmed many of the horrors of the first wave.   On the way back to the ship the film fell into the channel while re-boarding the ship.   I can't imagine the heartbreak of putting your life in danger to tell the story of the brave men on the beaches only to lose it in that manner.   Its part of the reason we have so little footage of early stages of the invasion on Omaha beach. 

Edited by Highmark

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Stalin stole all of the private land and killed alot of his own people after the war also. All of these wars should be a reminder that authoritarian govt can only give you this. 

Stalin was no different than Hitler. The allies made it much easier for him to succeed. 

8 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Honestly, with how our government has behaved the past several years, and what has now been exposed, I'm not sure I blame them.  One of the guys in my golf leagues boy had both his lower legs blown off in Afghanistan, I can tell you he isn't too happy about our government these days.

The representatives on both sides are not very good role models. Both leaders did everything possible to get out of serving. 

9 minutes ago, Snake said:

Next thing you know, they want to digitize your money for some strange reason.......

And health passes to travel.  It been only 80 years and still people don't see the simularities.

When in history have the people doing the censoring been the good guys?

They also all had a ministry of truth.  Biden tried that and hasn't given up. 

6 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

The representatives on both sides are not very good role models. Both leaders did everything possible to get out of serving. 

And some people since that time couldn't be bothered to serve....

51 minutes ago, Snake said:

I don't think there is a thing in the world that any country could do to us that would bring men to the call of service to the country. I feel days like those are long gone.

image.jpeg.c3dd7e24b0aeba951dbf2f044e6f8cf8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Snake said:

I don't think there is a thing in the world that any country could do to us that would bring men to the call of service to the country. I feel days like those are long gone.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but there was a draft during WW2 so many didn't have a choice. That being said I'm in no way taking anything away from those that served during that time period. There's a reason they were called the greatest generation. To your point my son, who is in the Army currently, echoes a lot of what you have said. He was at one time being encouraged to go to NCO school, but decided against because of the lack of respect, discipline and accountability from the newer recruits that were coming in. They don't salute, run there mouths to much and talk back to their higher ups. He says it's a mess, doesn't want to deal with it and is getting out in January after his 4 year stint is up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but there was a draft during WW2 so many didn't have a choice. That being said I'm in no way taking anything away from those that served during that time period. There's a reason they were called the greatest generation. To your point my son, who is in the Army currently, echoes a lot of what you have said. He was at one time being encouraged to go to NCO school, but decided against because of the lack of respect, discipline and accountability from the newer recruits that were coming in. They don't salute, run there mouths to much and talk back to their higher ups. He says it's a mess, doesn't want to deal with it and is getting out in January after his 4 year stint is up. 

I pretty much called it quits when basic fucking trainees were given 'stress cards'.... if I were to dress down a troop he could pull out his card, and I was required to walk away.

How the fuck do you tell an idiot like that to take point on a patrol???

For the first time in my life, I do not recommend young people to join.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Snake said:

And some people since that time couldn't be bothered to serve....

Can you blame them?

36 minutes ago, Anler said:

Stalin stole all of the private land and killed alot of his own people after the war also. All of these wars should be a reminder that authoritarian govt can only give you this. 

So they owned nothing and were happy.

Don't get me wrong... it isn't for everyone. Spending over a decade training recruits taught me some are simply not meant for it. I had to break a kids arm because he froze up with a live, unpinned hand grenade in his hand. And sadly, that was just the end result of a long line of fuckups that led to that action.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Luckily you were busy during the non war years I mentioned.... :lol:

friends that went into the military in “78 came out 4 years later fatter and in worse shape than when they went in. There’s that. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

friends that went into the military in “78 came out 4 years later fatter and in worse shape than when they went in. There’s that. 

I was never in as good shape as when I was full time military. My fist PT test I did 50 push ups in 2 minutes... never less than 90 after that.

I think it says more about the caliber of your friends than anything else.

1 minute ago, Snake said:

I was never in as good shape as when I was full time military. My fist PT test I did 50 push ups in 2 minutes... never less than 90 after that.

What else is there to do? It's equivalent to jail.

5 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

What else is there to do? It's equivalent to jail.

Man... my time in Germany would have a deep problem with that post... :lol:

Even when in Georgia we lived large and had a blast... beaches on weekends, trips to Florida, making the Talladega races....

:lol: I say.... :lol:

12 minutes ago, Snake said:

For sure. My friends aren’t assholes. 

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Man... my time in Germany would have a deep problem with that post... :lol:

Even when in Georgia we lived large and had a blast... beaches on weekends, trips to Florida, making the Talladega races....

:lol: I say.... :lol:

Oh yes I forgot. You didn't really serve. You just played the part. The real soldiers fought. Carry on.

:bc: