Check your account email address ×

8 year cost of ownership…. EV vs ICE

BOHICA

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

More speculation. 

Right now almost every utility offered reduced off peak rates.  Why cause the grid has capacity and gobs of it.  Some utilities even offer EV rates that are cheaper then your normal rate.

Utilization of infrastructure of any type is not speculative at all.  It’s a fact of business of any type.

What’s makes more money per truck?  1 over the road driver or a team of 2 drivers running the same truck?

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

You don't know that though.

It’s in the study above.  Yes it is.  It’s actually outdated cause a bolt is cheaper to buy in 2023 by a substantial margin compared to a Corolla or lexus

Edited by BOHICA

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

Right now almost every utility offered reduced off peak rates.  Why cause the grid has capacity and gobs of it.  Some utilities even offer EV rates that are cheaper then your normal rate.

Utilization of infrastructure of any type is not speculative at all.  It’s a fact of business of any type.

What’s makes more money per truck?  1 over the road driver or a team of 2 drivers running the same truck?

Why is that do you think?

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

It’s in the study above.  Yes it is.  It’s actually outdated cause a bolt is cheaper to buy in 2023 by a substantial margin compared to a Corolla or lexus

The only thing that makes it better is the cost of fuel. Once warranty is up that all goes out the window. Guys like Snake and company don't buy new.

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

The only thing that makes it better is the cost of fuel. Once warranty is up that all goes out the window. Guys like Snake and company don't buy new.

Warranties are pretty long on EV’s.  Especially if they are sold in California.  Longer then a similar ICE

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Warranties are pretty long on EV’s.  Especially if they are sold in California.  Longer then a similar ICE

You're missing the point.

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Why is that do you think?

Plenty of capacity, trying to get demand up from the low demand at night, increase revenue of all that extra capacity.   If they can get the demand up at night it will provide for a more reliable and easier to operate system especially if they can shift that hour or 2 of peak load that bumps up to system capacities limits they experience.

if you utilize a system closer to 100% is it more profitable then running the system at 30%?

8 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

What’s the point

Unless all these EVs are scrapped once the warranty is up, someone is going to be on the hook for a replacement battery eventually.

11 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Plenty of capacity, trying to get demand up from the low demand at night, increase revenue of all that extra capacity.   If they can get the demand up at night it will provide for a more reliable and easier to operate system especially if they can shift that hour or 2 of peak load that bumps up to system capacities limits they experience.

if you utilize a system closer to 100% is it more profitable then running the system at 30%?

That really doesn't matter. If they want to put the price up, they will.

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Unless all these EVs are scrapped once the warranty is up, someone is going to be on the hook for a replacement battery eventually.

Why would they need to be scrapped once the warranty is up?

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

That really doesn't matter. If they want to put the price up, they will.

Public utility commissions will typically have to approve those hikes.  Electricity is heavily government regulated.   If there is not a justifiable reason to hike the price then they won’t beable to hike it.

It’s nothing like the free market of the oil industry.

Edited by BOHICA

Just now, BOHICA said:

Why would they need to be scrapped once the warranty is up?

You think someone who buys a 10 yr old Bolt can afford a new battery? I'm guessing most can't. They'd buy something newer if they could.

Just now, BOHICA said:

Public utility commission will typically have to approve those hikes.  Electricity is heavily government regulated.   If there is not a justifiable reason to hike the price then they won’t beable to hike it.

It’s nothing like the free market of the oil industry.

Yes we all know the government cares about our well being. Not!

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

You think someone who buys a 10 yr old Bolt can afford a new battery? I'm guessing most can't. They'd buy something newer if they could.

Why does a 10 year old bolt need a battery?

it’s like say a 10 year Corolla needs an engine and transmission.

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Why does a 10 year old bolt need a battery?

it’s like say a 10 year Corolla needs an engine and transmission.

An engine or trans would be much cheaper and readily available.

• Gold Member
47 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

An engine or trans would be much cheaper and readily available.

If it needs to be replaced….  Ice and battery vehicles have proven both to be reliable to way more miles then their warranty length.

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member

I have never seen someone work so hard to try and justify a purchase that they have made and regretted.  BOHICA is to EV's as mainecat is to Trump.  EV is not the answer.  Its not.  Try all you would like to make it ok but its not.  Oh and I gotta ask.  Just what the fuck were you trying to compare when you were talking about one over the road truck with two drivers????  Took one to many stupid pills this morning??  Jeez you can stretch it.....

• Haha 3

• Gold Member
18 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

I have never seen someone work so hard to try and justify a purchase that they have made and regretted.  BOHICA is to EV's as mainecat is to Trump.  EV is not the answer.  Its not.  Try all you would like to make it ok but its not.  Oh and I gotta ask.  Just what the fuck were you trying to compare when you were talking about one over the road truck with two drivers????  Took one to many stupid pills this morning??  Jeez you can stretch it.....

Utilization of electrical infrastructure in relation to revenue is what was compared too.  Utilization of an over the road truck is more efficient and more revenue generating in a team vs solo.  If you don’t stop the wheels from spinning at all the truck generates huge revenue stream and efficiencies vs having it idle 12-14 hours a day.  Same with an electrical grid.  The more it is utilized the more profit it generates

I don’t own a bolt or a id4 or a lightning.  Not really justifying a purchase at all and only a retard would see it that way.

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member

So I buy cheapest shit boxes to commute and rack up the miles the cheapest ev in the USA the leaf is 27k. I can get my car but new today for 15k cheapest ice car in USA(*edit apparently the spark took the crown for cheapest now at 13,600 a even bigger gap to the leaf) Right off the bat the ev is nearly double the price that is a shit load of $34 fill ups(todays price) or less than $20 when trump was in. Then what I gotta spend another 25-30k for solar or if not I’m guessing my already high NH electric bill would probably double at least basically costing me more than I spend in gas a month so ya there is no way in hell a ev right now will ever be a cheaper commuter for me not happening.

Edited by 800renegaderider

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

So I buy cheapest shit boxes to commute and rack up the miles the cheapest ev in the USA the leaf is 27k. I can get my car but new today for 15k cheapest ice car in USA. Right off the bat the ev is nearly double the price that is a shit load of $34 fill ups(todays price) or less than $20 when trump was in. Then what I gotta spend another 25-30k for solar or if not I’m guessing my already high NH electric bill would probably double at least basically costing me more than I spend in gas a month so ya there is no way in hell a ev right now will ever be a cheaper commuter for me not happening.

Chevy bolt is actually the cheapest US EV.

Nissan Leaf has a non refundable tax credit…. $7500 off MSRP.  40kwh battery and a EPA range of 149 miles.  So about 3.725 miles per kWh.  At NH average electric rate 22 cents a kwh….  That is 5.86 centers per mile.

nissan versa.  32 mpg combined 40 mpg hwy at NH average price a gallon of $3.81 it comes to around 9.5 cents per mile hwy and 12 cents per mile at the combined mpg.

NH may and do have some incentives for EV as well depending on the electric provider…