Check your account email address ×

8 year cost of ownership…. EV vs ICE

BOHICA

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, awful knawful said:

Oil supply grows with demand also.

If everyone plugs their ev in at night, will demand go down at night? Nope! 😂

Demand won’t go down at night but plenty of capacity.  Utilities will actually make more money utilizing its existing infrastructure that is under utilized for the vast majority of a day

Just now, BOHICA said:

Demand won’t go down at night but plenty of capacity.  Utilities will actually make more money utilizing its existing infrastructure that is under utilized for the vast majority of a day

But you said demand will be lower at night, and cheaper. What is it?

11 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

How's it factor if I buy a $25000 Corolla vs a $80000 Tesla?

Elon Musk is developing the $25,000 Model 2. Up to this point his company has had no reason to build a corolla class vehicle. He sees BYD coming to American shores and wants to compete. It will sell out. 

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

Elon Musk is developing the $25,000 Model 2. Up to this point his company has had no reason to build a corolla class vehicle. He sees BYD coming to American shores and wants to compete. It will sell out. 

He was also building a truck. Where is it?

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

Seeing more and more quality issues with Teslas. Warranty issues will bankrupt him.

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I never see any EVs charging at night in public. I do however see people sitting and waiting for a charger to be available during the day 

That is because they charge at night…. You are seeing a very small fraction of EV’s charging during the day of the overall EV count.  Also you could are watching a lot that are getting that charging for free in public.

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

What new vehicle isn't a piece of shit right now? 

I've had pretty good luck with our last few. But they've all been 100g +.

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

That is because they charge at night…. You are seeing a very small fraction of EV’s charging during the day of the overall EV count.  Also you could are watching a lot that are getting that charging for free in public.

What was the last yr Tesla that was free charging?

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

But you said demand will be lower at night, and cheaper. What is it?

I said demand is lower at night and there is plenty of capacity…. Not demand will be lower at night.  Utilizing the system at a higher rate cost nothing extra that demands higher electricity rate.  

Think if a oil refinery is only used at 100% for a couple hours a day and the rest of the hours in a 24 hour period it is only used at 40%…. 

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

I said demand is lower at night and there is plenty of capacity…. Not demand will be lower at night.  Utilizing the system at a higher rate cost nothing extra that demands higher electricity rate.  

Think if a oil refinery is only used at 100% for a couple hours a day and the rest of the hours in a 24 hour period it is only used at 40%…. 

So if everyone charges at night....

9 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

I'll raise you.

My father gave me his 89 Toyota pick-up. I drove it 9 more years (22 total). Then I gave it back. He sold it the same day for $2500.

We can go al the way down this rabbit hole. I bought a "78 Honda accord with a bad motor in 1985 for $75. It had 265,000 miles. Bought a motor kit with pistons for $300 and rebuilt it in the driveway. Drove it for 55,000 miles while attending school and commuting. The POS broke in half while going over some railroad tracks. I had to climb out the window because the doors were holding it back from sagging. :lol: I drove it another 4000 miles before selling it for parts. The buyer gave me $400. 

edit....the motor kit was $110 and not 300. That was the motor kit for an "81 Supra that replaced it. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

What was the last yr Tesla that was free charging?

Most free unlimited supercharging ended in 2020.  They had started transitioning to referral program in late teens.  That ended in late 2021.

25 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Why would you make that comparison.  Tesla aren’t cross shoppers of corollas or vice versa.  2 different class of vehicles.  

Why not compare a Corolla to a Bolt?  Sun $30k priced cars.

Corolla and model 3 are a great comparison.  Same size, similar available features.  Hell the 3 is even built on the old Corolla production line.  There is one reason it isn't comparable though and that is the Corolla is a shit ton nicer and has better build quality.

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

So if everyone charges at night....

Utilization will be higher, more efficient creating more revenue for the utility.  At some point when demand grows beyond capabilities the need grid expansions will happen.  But the expansion will already be happening and happened.

Just now, BOHICA said:

Utilization will be higher, more efficient creating more revenue for the utility.  At some point when demand grows beyond capabilities the need grid expansions will happen.  But the expansion will already be happening and happened.

More speculation. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Most free unlimited supercharging ended in 2020.  They had started transitioning to referral program in late teens.  That ended in late 2021.

:bc:

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

Corolla and model 3 are a great comparison.  Same size, similar available features.  Hell the 3 is even built on the old Corolla production line.  There is one reason it isn't comparable though and that is the Corolla is a shit ton nicer and has better build quality.

Corolla and bolt are the comparison.  Why not compare a Corolla to a Lexus?    Or a Bolt to a Lexus.  Why buy a Corolla in 2022 when a Bolt is much cheaper over the life of the vehicle.  Tesla is more comparable to a Lexus as in the study.

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Corolla and bolt are the comparison.  Why not compare a Corolla to a Lexus?    Or a Bolt to a Lexus.  Why buy a Corolla in 2022 when a Bolt is much cheaper over the life of the vehicle.  Tesla is more comparable to a Lexus as in the study.

You don't know that though.