Check your account email address ×

2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

7 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I wonder if you'll be able to read actual coolant temp with the g8 gauge.  The sport gauge just gives a cold-hot gauge 

I guess what is better, watching a temp number or just watching for a light to pop up?

I know on all the Procross sleds we have, I watch that temp number way too much.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I guess what is better, watching a temp number or just watching for a light to pop up?

I know on all the Procross sleds we have, I watch that temp number way too much.

That's the one downfall to having the actual temp ... well, if you consider it a downfall.  I watch that more than my RPM's or speedo.

5 minutes ago, Bontz said:

That's the one downfall to having the actual temp ... well, if you consider it a downfall.  I watch that more than my RPM's or speedo.

Arctic Cat has trained me to constantly watch the temp.  

Thank you Procross.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Arctic Cat has trained me to constantly watch the temp.  

Thank you Procross.

I learned if you keep running a procross until it shuts off on its own it isnt to hot lol. Next time run it 1 degree less than shut down temp lol

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2024 at 7:28 PM, Not greg b said:

The grips wear pretty fast on these things. They are pretty much one season use and replace. Mine are pretty much slicks now and I haven’t road the sled that much 

It's the abrasiveness of your hairy palms.

10 hours ago, Bontz said:

A tiered lighting system would be good.  I took always watch so I can deploy my scratchers but if it had a yellow light at 130 or something near there it would solve that problem with a red being much higher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never had a sport gauge.  Does it do a tiered warning system? 

Ahh, never mind.  I actually went and looked at an owners manual. ;)  It looks like both sport and deluxe give flash warnings at 176 and stay constant when they start dumping fuel at 185 temp.

I'll be damned .  I learned something today. 

Now I know why the stock gauges don't flash very often.  To be honest it's a bear to read those things and I hardly know the exact readings until I stop. I've never been a fan of the two side deluxe gauge.  They are hard to read and harder yet when things vibrate around.  I won't miss that blurry bugger.

I use the NS1 setup most of the time and just get by when I ride the sleds with stock gauge.  I usually set the NS1 early temp warning to start flashing in the mid 150 range.  Things were easier with that feature.  If I was concerned with early warm temps, I could swap screens and make temp reading easier to see. 

I don't know much about the new gauge.  It would be nice if the G8 has some ability to configure the layout and adjust parameters. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, favoritos said:

I've never had a sport gauge.  Does it do a tiered warning system? 

Ahh, never mind.  I actually went and looked at an owners manual. ;)  It looks like both sport and deluxe give flash warnings at 176 and stay constant when they start dumping fuel at 185 temp.

I'll be damned .  I learned something today. 

Now I know why the stock gauges don't flash very often.  To be honest it's a bear to read those things and I hardly know the exact readings until I stop. I've never been a fan of the two side deluxe gauge.  They are hard to read and harder yet when things vibrate around.  I won't miss that blurry bugger.

I use the NS1 setup most of the time and just get by when I ride the sleds with stock gauge.  I usually set the NS1 early temp warning to start flashing in the mid 150 range.  Things were easier with that feature.  If I was concerned with early warm temps, I could swap screens and make temp reading easier to see. 

I don't know much about the new gauge.  It would be nice if the G8 has some ability to configure the layout and adjust parameters. 

Mine never triggered any kind of warning running on pavement. My Polaris that was ran with it didn’t over heat either. My procross would have over heated big time in those conditions 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

Mine never triggered any kind of warning running on pavement. My Polaris that was ran with it didn’t over heat either. My procross would have over heated big time in those conditions 

The only thing I saw on the Catalyst was the self induced NS1 low threshold warning.  I was on the RXC most miles and K, aka. Big guy was on a 137 ATAC.  He mentioned that his was flashing during a stretch of RR grade rockpiles.  I didn't think much at the time, but now that I've read a few pages of the manual, I guess that one actually was running high temps.  I'm sure it was an air bubble based on the early coolant service. ;)

I hope the big motor has cooling that works like these 600 sleds.  We rode in a lot of junk and the cooling was enough except for the rockpile run.  To be honest, I was pretty impressed.  Riding is more fun when I can take that crap off the list.

11 minutes ago, favoritos said:

The only thing I saw on the Catalyst was the self induced NS1 low threshold warning.  I was on the RXC most miles and K, aka. Big guy was on a 137 ATAC.  He mentioned that his was flashing during a stretch of RR grade rockpiles.  I didn't think much at the time, but now that I've read a few pages of the manual, I guess that one actually was running high temps.  I'm sure it was an air bubble based on the early coolant service. ;)

I hope the big motor has cooling that works like these 600 sleds.  We rode in a lot of junk and the cooling was enough except for the rockpile run.  To be honest, I was pretty impressed.  Riding is more fun when I can take that crap off the list.

The consistency is a ton better on the catalyst. My last procross the temps never stayed consistent. They were all over the board. The Polaris was always 10-15 degrees cool than the pc and stayed at a consistent temp about 120

40 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

The consistency is a ton better on the catalyst. My last procross the temps never stayed consistent. They were all over the board. The Polaris was always 10-15 degrees cool than the pc and stayed at a consistent temp about 120

I always like riding my ZR's on days where you are "No way is this thing going to run warm today" and you are constantly flashing that light.

Then the days where you are like "No way this pig is going to stay cool" and it runs 98-106 all day long.

Real head scratcher, because my 2012 to 2014's never ran like that with the old Zuki crab motor.  

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

I always like riding my ZR's on days where you are "No way is this thing going to run warm today" and you are constantly flashing that light.

Then the days where you are like "No way this pig is going to stay cool" and it runs 98-106 all day long.

Real head scratcher, because my 2012 to 2014's never ran like that with the old Zuki crab motor.  

I think they run right on the edge of cooling capacity.  I've had a few good runners that always ran hot temps right next to one that did not.  The good runners also used less fuel on each stop.  Basically fast and lean also meant hot temps.

Those zuke motors needed big gas and oil lines but they ran cool temps.

22 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Yeah, it's probably just old PTSD from procross'.  On my old zr900 there's just a light and I would've even seen it if it came on.  Never look at those gauges.  In my limited catalyst time this year, I was surprised how well it cooked for the conditions I had.  Maybe I will get back to not looking at it.  For me it's going to be all the single track trails I travel around on, often slow going and compacted.

13 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Yeah, it's probably just old PTSD from procross'.  On my old zr900 there's just a light and I would've even seen it if it came on.  Never look at those gauges.  In my limited catalyst time this year, I was surprised how well it cooked for the conditions I had.  Maybe I will get back to not looking at it.  For me it's going to be all the single track trails I travel around on, often slow going and compacted.

Once I put on the tunnel flares, I never saw temps above 120, unless I was on bare ice. Some on here are trigger targets.

12 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Once I put on the tunnel flares, I never saw temps above 120, unless I was on bare ice. Some on here are trigger targets.

You had to modify your perfect Cat to get it to run right?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

I'm coming off a high country so it may be a little different than a trail sled.  In proper snow off trail it was fine.  But access trails and slow speed exploring you'd have to watch it.  But still not too bad, I I never had a light come on like what some people apparently would.  If mine got into the 120's I'd be concerned and maybe once or twice it got into the 130's.  In good snow it was always at 105.

17 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Tunnel flairs and different snow flap designs don’t change anything. Scratchers will if there is ice or snow to scratch. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Tunnel flairs and different snow flap designs don’t change anything. Scratchers will if there is ice or snow to scratch. 

I have a pair of snow flap extensions for the RXC's.  Those helped to keep them running cooler, but as soon as you put that bitch in reverse, you'd suck that fucker under the track and rip the whole works off, or partially off.

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I have a pair of snow flap extensions for the RXC's.  Those helped to keep them running cooler, but as soon as you put that bitch in reverse, you'd suck that fucker under the track and rip the whole works off, or partially off.

Dvw on achat has put like 50,000 miles on 2 procrosses. He experimented with different snow flap designs to try to improve the cooling and nothing worked and better than stock. His windshield on his procross was a work of art I have to say and it has to work awesome. 

1 minute ago, Not greg b said:

Dvw on achat has put like 50,000 miles on 2 procrosses. He experimented with different snow flap designs to try to improve the cooling and nothing worked and better than stock. His windshield on his procross was a work of art I have to say and it has to work awesome. 

A real dog deflector of a windshield?

19 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

They worked for me. From my 18, through my 22. Rarely dropped the scratchers after the install on my 18 and 22. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

They worked for me. From my 18, through my 22. Rarely dropped the scratchers after the install on my 18 and 22. 

Those didn't help on either 15 XF LXR or the XF Cross Country.

50 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

A real dog deflector of a windshield?

It was a moose deflector. It’s was like 4 windshields pieced together with zip ties, glue and sawzall work. I think c2c saw it. 

18 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Those didn't help on either 15 XF LXR or the XF Cross Country.

My 15 was finicky. Was told they relocated the sensor some year after. 2020 came standard with the flares. Could count on a missing fingered hand how often I used them. My 18 was the same. Thinking Greg likes riding in mud.

37 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

My 15 was finicky. Was told they relocated the sensor some year after. 2020 came standard with the flares. Could count on a missing fingered hand how often I used them. My 18 was the same. Thinking Greg likes riding in mud.

I don’t ride in Minnesota so no I don’t ride in mud