Check your account email address ×

Garages I worked at as a kid did this sometimes

We used that trick frequently as a teenager trying to get those n50’s to bead   up!!😁

ratchet strap works good too but not as entertaining!!

Edited by X2700
  • Like 2

Guy I ride with on occasion did that with a split rim that came apart and almost got killed.  Helicopter ride to the hospital and a couple week stay.

Split his skull open and shattered his elbow among other injuries.  Elbow is locked now in one position that he actually had rebroken and reset so he could go back to a RH throttle on his sled to ride.   

25 minutes ago, Doug said:

Guy I ride with on occasion did that with a split rim that came apart and almost got killed.  Helicopter ride to the hospital and a couple week stay.

Split his skull open and shattered his elbow among other injuries.  Elbow is locked now in one position that he actually had rebroken and reset so he could go back to a RH throttle on his sled to ride.   

Split rim wheels are seriously dangerous... They were on the old man's 67 Chev 1-ton - he made us all leave the shop when he had to change a tire, scary shit!!

18 minutes ago, Doug said:

That’s the one thing we never messed with!!split rims are deadly!!had a lot of old ford pickups with them.local tire shop had cage for them!!

• Gold Member

I've done that a few times. On smaller rims/tires I've also used a ratchet strap to force bead contact with the rim and then filled from there. Works ok in a pinch.

4 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Split rim wheels are seriously dangerous... They were on the old man's 67 Chev 1-ton - he made us all leave the shop when he had to change a tire, scary shit!!

I didn’t like mouthing those. My boss at the time had one let go. It took off at an angle and stuck in a metal wall. He welded up a cage the following week.