Check your account email address ×

Gas Prices Have Fallen for 50 Straight Days, Approach $4 a Gallon

The law has banned crude oil exports, with the U.S. Commerce Department able to grant exceptions for certain types of oil. In 1980, crude oil exports peaked at 104 million barrels, dropping to 43.8 million barrels in 2013. The exceptional export licenses were for oil from Cook Inlet, oil flowing through the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline System, oil exported to Canada, heavy oil from California, certain trades with Mexico, and some exceptions for re-exporting foreign oil.

14 minutes ago, racer254 said:

The law has banned crude oil exports, with the U.S. Commerce Department able to grant exceptions for certain types of oil. In 1980, crude oil exports peaked at 104 million barrels, dropping to 43.8 million barrels in 2013. The exceptional export licenses were for oil from Cook Inlet, oil flowing through the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline System, oil exported to Canada, heavy oil from California, certain trades with Mexico, and some exceptions for re-exporting foreign oil.

So as I said the US never stopped exporting, but did drastically increase after the partial ban was lifted. 

21 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

So as I said the US never stopped exporting, but did drastically increase after the partial ban was lifted. 

By all accounts, the law banned oil exports.  That was exactly what it meant to do and to make the United States invulnerable to OPEC and other foreign country oil imports.  It also created the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Bottom line is that in 2015 this ban was lifted so to say that these type of exports from SPR always happened is just plain lying.  But, we all know that is the deception this administration wants.

Edited by racer254

2 hours ago, racer254 said:

By all accounts, the law banned oil exports.  That was exactly what it meant to do and to make the United States invulnerable to OPEC and other foreign country oil imports.  It also created the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Bottom line is that in 2015 this ban was lifted so to say that these type of exports from SPR always happened is just plain lying.  But, we all know that is the deception this administration wants.

By what you just posted before it did not ban exports, it limited the exports, big difference.  

The Trump admin. and his followers were the ones talking about the US being energy independent, what I posted was from an article I read, nothing to do with any political party. 

You are so dead set on blaming the dems. for everything you can't even comprehend the simplest concept. 

11 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

By what you just posted before it did not ban exports, it limited the exports, big difference.  

The Trump admin. and his followers were the ones talking about the US being energy independent, what I posted was from an article I read, nothing to do with any political party. 

You are so dead set on blaming the dems. for everything you can't even comprehend the simplest concept. 

It was a BAN, right in the law was the word "BAN"  FFS, it was not my wording.

I am not blaming one party or the other, I listed facts that have no political bias what-so-ever.  I am just sick of the lies or deception that the media constantly pushes or in this case people on this site.  To act as though it was going on "forever" is flat out deception, as it has only been happening since the ban was lifted.

21 minutes ago, racer254 said:

It was a BAN, right in the law was the word "BAN"  FFS, it was not my wording.

I am not blaming one party or the other, I listed facts that have no political bias what-so-ever.  I am just sick of the lies or deception that the media constantly pushes or in this case people on this site.  To act as though it was going on "forever" is flat out deception, as it has only been happening since the ban was lifted.

Yes they passed a law to ban with (EXCEPTIONS) and the US has been exporting nonstop for decades before and after the ban, I posted it had been going on forever, and it has nothing to do with the media, just the fact that it has been nonstop exporting oil for decades. 

Your mistaken idea that the US exported no crude since the ban is flat-out wrong.  

8 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Yes they passed a law to ban with (EXCEPTIONS) and the US has been exporting nonstop for decades before and after the ban, I posted it had been going on forever, and it has nothing to do with the media, just the fact that it has been nonstop exporting oil for decades. 

Your mistaken idea that the US exported no crude since the ban is flat-out wrong.  

Why are you arguing about this?  There was a ban between 1975 and 2015.  Plain and simple. 

We were not exporting to the world market like you and a few other from the left are trying to say, you are just wrong and you really just don't want to admit it.  A few others figured it out once I posted the ban, but you just keep on with the same narrative thinking that somehow you are going to be right.  Sorry, we were not exporting the oil ever like we are now.  The strategic petroleum reserve that they are taking oil from wasn't even in existence before 1975.

2 hours ago, 1jkw said:

Alaskan oil was always open for export. There were some changes to who could transport the oil. The ban was put in place over the Arab oil embargo. Realities in oil production have changed dramatically since then. Lifting the ban on oil produced in the lower 48 made sense in “15. Trump even supported it. It allowed American oil producers to sell at a higher price which in turn helped make shale oil production economical. I’m not sure how reimposing the ban would help anything at this point. US production is approaching a record high. A ban would have no measurable effect on supply or price. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

$3.45 here in sunny Wisconsin. 

it's all over the board in Wisconsin and MN.  In superior on wednesday I saw 4.19 and the lowest I saw was 3.49.  3.69 in southern wisconsin.

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

it's all over the board in Wisconsin and MN.  In superior on wednesday I saw 4.19 and the lowest I saw was 3.49.  3.69 in southern wisconsin.

$437.9 for reg and $541.9 for diesel here.

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Alaskan oil was always open for export. There were some changes to who could transport the oil. The ban was put in place over the Arab oil embargo. Realities in oil production have changed dramatically since then. Lifting the ban on oil produced in the lower 48 made sense in “15. Trump even supported it. It allowed American oil producers to sell at a higher price which in turn helped make shale oil production economical. I’m not sure how reimposing the ban would help anything at this point. US production is approaching a record high. A ban would have no measurable effect on supply or price. 

Problem is, Private US oil companies can't compete with state owned ME oil producers, if the price drops too much it drives them into bankruptcy. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
24 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Problem is, Private US oil companies can't compete with state owned ME oil producers, if the price drops too much it drives them into bankruptcy. 

This has been said here numerous times but some people are slow on the uptake.

3 hours ago, racer254 said:

Why are you arguing about this?  There was a ban between 1975 and 2015.  Plain and simple. 

We were not exporting to the world market like you and a few other from the left are trying to say, you are just wrong and you really just don't want to admit it.  A few others figured it out once I posted the ban, but you just keep on with the same narrative thinking that somehow you are going to be right.  Sorry, we were not exporting the oil ever like we are now.  The strategic petroleum reserve that they are taking oil from wasn't even in existence before 1975.

And if you could actually comprehend what you read, I said after the ban was removed exports increased dramatically.   

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

And so is the current administration.

Just like the last one when they claimed the US was energy independent, you never had a problem then, why now? 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

This has been said here numerous times but some people are slow on the uptake.

There is a way that US oil could be drilled here and kept here as refined product, but greed will never allow it, both on the supply and demand side.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

There is a way that US oil could be drilled here and kept here as refined product, but greed will never allow it, both on the supply and demand side.

Bingo