Check your account email address ×

Generators

I’m on the hunt for a big portable generator. The Generac 17500 looks like a nice piece.

Anyone here own a Generac? They rate pretty high up but also do have some complaints.

Looking for some input. Expensive proposition.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I’m on the hunt for a big portable generator. The Generac 17500 looks like a nice piece.

Anyone here own a Generac? They rate pretty high up but also do have some complaints.

That is a huge portable. What you gonna use it for?

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I currently have a much smaller one and it has been fine for the small amount of times I've used it. Quality seems real good but I've had it now for 5+ yrs.

genny.jpg

Edited by irv

• Platinum Contributing Member

If you can find a Robin generator buy it, probably the best generator made.. Yamaha and Honda have some nice units too..Some generacs use Chinese motors which are junk, I would also shy away from a Briggs powered unit. Kohler is ok, but they go thru head gaskets and starters quickly 

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That is a huge portable. What you gonna use it for?

For the whole house. I have electric hw and that alone draws quite a bit.

Just now, Pete said:

For the whole house. I have electric hw and that alone draws quite a bit.

If you aren’t going to move it there are many benefits going to a standby over a portable. I’d have to look but I’m guessing it doesn’t have much for a single circuit output. 

5 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i just got a predator 3500 . super quiet and real nice for 899.00

We’ve bought two of the predator 4550 open frame inverters this year on sale at $579. They are really awesome rigs for the money. 

4 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

If you can find a Robin generator buy it, probably the best generator made.. Yamaha and Honda have some nice units too..Some generacs use Chinese motors which are junk, I would also shy away from a Briggs powered unit. Kohler is ok, but they go thru head gaskets and starters quickly 

So I’m getting mixed answers on where Generac is made. I see MADE IN USA online. I see ASSEMBLED IN USA. The OHV engines are China designed and produced. The OHVI is designed in USA but made in China. 
Fuck I hate them damn Chinese.

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

If you aren’t going to move it there are many benefits going to a standby over a portable. I’d have to look but I’m guessing it doesn’t have much for a single circuit output. 

Yeah I thought about standby but I’d really like portable if I need it else where 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

So I’m getting mixed answers on where Generac is made. I see MADE IN USA online. I see ASSEMBLED IN USA. The OHV engines are China designed and produced. The OHVI is designed in USA but made in China. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, I would not do any of those, you will be beating your head against the wall looking for something as simple as a governor spring

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Yeah, I would not do any of those, you will be beating your head against the wall looking for something as simple as a governor spring

So stay away from the Generac?

Just now, Pete said:

Yeah I thought about standby but I’d really like portable if I need it else where 

For sure , the thing that sucks about a portable is limitations to single circuit output. That generac has a 50A 240v output so you’re really only buying a 12,000w generator when it comes to lighting up a panel in a house. I do t know if there is a good way to require that gen for an 80 amp breaker and lugs large enough for #4 copper

Just now, f7ben said:

For sure , the thing that sucks about a portable is limitations to single circuit output. That generac has a 50A 240v output so you’re really only buying a 12,000w generator when it comes to lighting up a panel in a house. I do t know if there is a good way to require that gen for an 80 amp breaker and lugs large enough for #4 copper

I understand 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

So stay away from the Generac?

Unless you can get one with a Kohler or Honda engine I would 

I’d look into paralleling two large inverter generators Pete. Way cleaner power and then you’d have a portable whenever you wanted. Also the predator gens are excellent. Honda clone motors , plentiful parts and quality electronics for a good price. 

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I’d look into paralleling two large inverter generators Pete. Way cleaner power and then you’d have a portable whenever you wanted. Also the predator gens are excellent. Honda clone motors , plentiful parts and quality electronics for a good price. 

Hey thanks for that advice. 
Yeah Predator makes decent stuff. I have one of their 6.5 horse engines on my mini bike.

18 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Unless you can get one with a Kohler or Honda engine I would 

Yeah but it’s almost double the cost