Check your account email address ×

Anyone doing fireworks on the 4th

• Platinum Contributing Member

Good times..... Everyone had a blast.

Will be an annual event at this particular party... It's a great place to do fireworks. Wide open and the crowd is seated pretty far back had about a hundred in the audience.

• Like 2

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Wow.... That sucks... No wonder you're not particularly fond of consumer use.    

I actually have a lot of respect and  pretty safe when doing these. Fired everything electronically from a distance this year.......very safe and actually got to watch the show with 1 push of button on phone instead of running around with a lighter.... Very small portion of the show I believe this cake was Sentinel.

Yeah, I love a good fireworks show as much as anyone, just have to respect what you're dealing with.  One of my snowmobiling buddies in Maine is into it, and sets up a big board, with sequenced fuses, etc., we've had some pretty good shows at sled camp in past years.  After my friends daughter was burned about 20 years ago, I'm not fond of anyone who doesn't respect the dangers or is careless with them.  :bc: 

Well our crew had breakfast this morning and we have decided after 40+ years (me 39) that we are retiring from shooting any more shows.  The interest was just not there anymore, our main guy's dad has retired as a fireworks distributor, fund raisers were not covering our July 3rd show any more and cost of insurance skyrocketed.  Was a good run and had a lot of fun but it was time.

• Sad 1

I did the same this year.  Passed the torch on to the younger generation.  Took all the leftovers to the UP over the 4th and gave them to the son in law.  Did enjoy it for years but it takes up a lot of time when I could be relaxing.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 9:01 PM, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Wow.... That sucks... No wonder you're not particularly fond of consumer use.    

I actually have a lot of respect and  pretty safe when doing these. Fired everything electronically from a distance this year.......very safe and actually got to watch the show with 1 push of button on phone instead of running around with a lighter.... Very small portion of the show I believe this cake was Sentinel.

So how many of the ignite I18's did you end up using?  And what lengths did you buy for the igniters?

Looks good.

6 minutes ago, ARTIE KATZ said:

I did the same this year.  Passed the torch on to the younger generation.  Took all the leftovers to the UP over the 4th and gave them to the son in law.  Did enjoy it for years but it takes up a lot of time when I could be relaxing.

We're going to take all the steel mortars we had for shooting 10" and 12" shells and turn them in for scrap.  All the plastic mortars 3" to 8" going to gave them to a local pyrotechnics place with the understanding if we would ever shoot again we can borrow them.  We've borrowed back and forth in the past.

We had a lot of fun early on and never had any issues.  Became more of a job in recent years.  Some unexpected fast fuses but that just keeps your attention.

• Platinum Contributing Member
30 minutes ago, racer254 said:

So how many of the ignite I18's did you end up using?  And what lengths did you buy for the igniters?

Looks good.

I used 2 modules and 30 cues. I did buy a breakout board to fire more than 1 cake on 1 cue but didn't end up using it. I just fired the finale with a few cues within seconds of each other....worked out great. Lengths were 6 ft and 13 feet and that also worked out well for spacing 30 cakes.

The most time consuming process was setting up the show with the online show designer .......they have an expansive catalog of consumer fireworks which would make it easy but mine were mostly OL's and weren't listed, so I had to look each one up on YouTube to get an idea of the duration for each cake and manually enter it. Was really surprised how close I got it with some overlaps only where I wanted it. 

It worked flawless and you can watch the progress of the show on your phone....so I knew exactly when and what was being fired. Very happy with it...was so nice to sit back and enjoy it with the rest of crowd. Can't wait til next year:bc:......

Picking up these cakes next week:lol:...never too early and getting a bit of a break on the price by buying right now.

Real nice colors and effects with this new one below and over 3 minutes long.

10 hours ago, Doug said:

Well our crew had breakfast this morning and we have decided after 40+ years (me 39) that we are retiring from shooting any more shows.  The interest was just not there anymore, our main guy's dad has retired as a fireworks distributor, fund raisers were not covering our July 3rd show any more and cost of insurance skyrocketed.  Was a good run and had a lot of fun but it was time.

Come out here for a fourth week and shoot on my crew!

39 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

Come out here for a fourth week and shoot on my crew!

That always aligns with a race that I work.  This year wasn't bad for getting back but last year I was loading shells help wiring with my Sunoco uniform on before I went and changed.

I'd like to see your setup and it sure looks nice.  We shot half the with a controller and half manually this year.  I shot all the 4" manually.  We knew this day was short coming so we didn't pursue more electronics to set off the show.

Over 40 years and nothing bad happened.  We'll stop on a good safe record 👍

Funny I just got a message from the main guy on our crew.  He sent out a email to the town board that we shot for that this was our last year.  They now want to know what they can do to keep the July 3rd tradition going.  

14 minutes ago, Doug said:

That always aligns with a race that I work.  This year wasn't bad for getting back but last year I was loading shells help wiring with my Sunoco uniform on before I went and changed.

I'd like to see your setup and it sure looks nice.  We shot half the with a controller and half manually this year.  I shot all the 4" manually.  We knew this day was short coming so we didn't pursue more electronics to set off the show.

Over 40 years and nothing bad happened.  We'll stop on a good safe record 👍

Funny I just got a message from the main guy on our crew.  He sent out a email to the town board that we shot for that this was our last year.  They now want to know what they can do to keep the July 3rd tradition going.  

Pick a weekend, i can probably get you on a show with me.

Six Flags every Friday night this summer

1 minute ago, Tommcat said:

Pick a weekend, i can probably get you on a show with me.

Six Flags every Friday night this summer

Thanks I'm sure it would be a good and educational time for me.  I'm doing 6 races this year and got asked to do a 7th that I turned down.  

Crabby wife unhappy life.  Need to save some away time for this winter.