Check your account email address ×

US refinery capacity at maximum.

Just now, BOHICA said:

Nice story.  Why did Trump build refineries?  4 years as president an not a single refinery built but some closed

Well, there was this little thing that fucked everyone in the head called a pandemic.  Demand went to zero.  Personally, I never stopped driving, and really REALLY enjoyed the open roads and zero policing of them.

Again, I'm not against wind and solar or electric vehicles.  But lets not shut off the spigot before those alternative sources have a little more capacity.

Edited by Mag6240

Just now, BOHICA said:

Nice story.  Why did Trump build refineries?  4 years as president an not a single refinery built but some closed

Please read the first sentence in my response at least.  Or are you saying Trump had more influence as a President than Biden

Joe Biden says Government has no control over oil companies.  

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, Doug said:

Please read the first sentence in my response at least.  Or are you saying Trump had more influence as a President than Biden

Refineries closed under Trump, not opened under Trump.  It’s just fact

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Refineries closed under Trump, not opened under Trump.  It’s just fact

Still some reading challenges I see.

Please read the first sentence in my responses at least.  Or are you saying Trump had more influence as a President than Biden

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, Doug said:

Still some reading challenges I see.

Please read the first sentence in my responses at least.  Or are you saying Trump had more influence as a President than Biden

So you agree the gov/pres has no control over oil companies?

9 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

So you agree the gov/pres has no control over oil companies?

Flip flopping things I see.  Image that.  Depends and it can be the same person.  Chuck Schumer blamed Trump in 2018 and now blames the oil companies in 2022.

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Doug said:

Flip flopping things I see.  Image that.  Depends and it can be the same person.  Chuck Schumer blamed Trump in 2018 and now blames the oil companies in 2022.

I don’t care what politicians say.  

I say pres has little to no control over oil companies.  

how do you feel?  Pres controls the oil companies or not?

13 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

17 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Sorry I'm out burning fossil fuel on the rider so I hope another refinery doesn't shut down in the mean time

Interesting.

Then why are you questioning the oil refineries new/shutdown when Trump was president?

Edited by Doug

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Doug said:

Interesting.

Then why are you questioning the oil refineries new/shutdown when Trump was president?

I am making an assumption that you think a president has control over oil companies and the price at the pumps.  

is my assumption correct or incorrect?

If you have one whole side of the US political system actively doing whatever they can to kill your industry, you're not going to invest in more expensive infrastructure.  It doesn't take more than 2 brain cells to work out that equation.

What we need is a long term, like 50 years long, plan to get to 100% renewables that includes investment in the cleanest possible versions of existing tech until then.  Let's build some new refineries AND small-scale nuke plants that can also do desalination as part of the energy generation process.  We do that with subsidies that phase out over time and eased permitting/less red tape.  It's not complicated.  It's just that the left in this country is SO beholden to the hardcore lefties in its base, it'll never happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Stop trying to bait and switch.  You know damn well that administrative policies cause oil companies to make decisions based on those policies.  Everyone knows that, but for some reason you have people trying to "catch" someone saying one thing or another.  It's just pathetic to ignore the truth of the situation as policies effect the decisions.

• Gold Member
22 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Stop trying to bait and switch.  You know damn well that administrative policies cause oil companies to make decisions based on those policies.  Everyone knows that, but for some reason you have people trying to "catch" someone saying one thing or another.  It's just pathetic to ignore the truth of the situation as policies effect the decisions.

Doesn’t the same apply to admin policies of the last admin that caused a bunch of oil involved companies to go bankrupt and refineries that shut down.

last time oil was the price it is now gas prices were in the $2-$3 range for a gallon.

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Doesn’t the same apply to admin policies of the last admin that caused a bunch of oil involved companies to go bankrupt and refineries that shut down.

last time oil was the price it is now gas prices were in the $2-$3 range for a gallon.

Are you just trying to be incoherent to the pandemic? 

Last time oil was this price, the royalties were 50% less, the last time.....  Why is it that people like to compare "the last time" without comparing the COSTS of last times?  Keep ignoring the fact that we now have supply chain issues and also how this admin has raised the cost of doing EVERYTHING.  Not to mention, the oil companies are also trying to make a profit yet.

Edited by racer254

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

I am making an assumption that you think a president has control over oil companies and the price at the pumps.  

is my assumption correct or incorrect?

I'll defer your assumptions to a none bias, politically neutral, career Senator Chuck Schumer.  Year 2018 President Trump - Yes. Year 2022 President Biden - No :flush: 

Let me ask you a question.  If one of the causes of high prices of gas is refinery capacity (amongst others that are being blamed) won't we be seeming fuel shortages at the pump?  When was the last gas station you seen that had a fuel shortage?

4 hours ago, racer254 said:

Do you understand why this happened?  The administration is causing this.

But around two thirds of the total is attributable to the closure of three refineries:

• Philadelphia Energy Solutions closed its refinery in Pennsylvania (335,000 bpd) after an explosion and the operator went bankrupt.
  • Marathon is converting the Martinez refinery in California (161,000 bpd) into a biofuels facility as part of California's energy transition programme.
  • Shell closed the Convent refinery in Louisiana (240,000 bpd) as part of its strategy for transitioning to a low-carbon future and when it failed to find another buyer.

Even before the pandemic, many refiners were reluctant to replace obsolescent or damaged equipment let alone increase capacity because the prospective transition to more electric vehicles would reduce fuel demand.

The refinery explosion occurred during the trump administration and nothing was done about it. Why? The other two closures is capitalism at work. 

Edited by spin_dry

1 hour ago, Matt said:

If you have one whole side of the US political system actively doing whatever they can to kill your industry, you're not going to invest in more expensive infrastructure.  It doesn't take more than 2 brain cells to work out that equation.

What we need is a long term, like 50 years long, plan to get to 100% renewables that includes investment in the cleanest possible versions of existing tech until then.  Let's build some new refineries AND small-scale nuke plants that can also do desalination as part of the energy generation process.  We do that with subsidies that phase out over time and eased permitting/less red tape.  It's not complicated.  It's just that the left in this country is SO beholden to the hardcore lefties in its base, it'll never happen.

Exactly right.....

1 hour ago, Matt said:

It's been almost 50 years since a refinery was built. That's a lot of non-lefty administrations. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

It's been almost 50 years since a refinery was built. That's a lot of non-lefty administrations. 

Quit being a fucking hack , a faggot ass dem can come in 10 years after permitting and pull the plug just like what happened with keystone. 

• Like 1

Just now, spin_dry said:

And in those 50 years, I've seen the refinery that's about 15 miles from me AT LEAST quadruple in size... So you are right, no new refineries, but they have been growing where they can.

16 hours ago, Doug said:

LOL

What happen in 2020?  The Biden administration came in and said his administration was going to reduce the use of fossil fuels.  Ok as a oil refinery what are you going to do?  Hint here Joe.....reduce your capacity.  And now Joe wants an investigation on why refineries have reduced capacity.  :justcuz:

Really Joe you have to ask.

No shit bumbling idiot !   

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Quit being a fucking hack , a faggot ass dem can come in 10 years after permitting and pull the plug just like what happened with keystone. 

Most of the proposed refineries over the years were slated to be built near impoverished areas. It’s been local pushback from community leaders that created the loopholes that shut down the permitting process or tangled it up in court. Nobody wants those damn things built near where they live. The other issue is the typical boom/bust cycle of the oil industry. Profits are huge right now, but in a few months the bottom will fall out and refineries will be nothing that any company wants to touch. 

It's environmental policies that have stopped the new refineries more than any local push back from communities.   I love how some here want to act like it's the local people/oil companies that don't want the refineries, that just isn't true.  It's the fucking environmental liberals that are constantly pushing against building refineries etc.

Growing environmental restrictions have made obtaining permits for new refining operations from state and federal government agencies increasingly difficult and costly. The inevitable raft of litigation that follows the issuance of any permits also increases the costs and adds to time delays. Many such projects have tried to get off the ground during those intervening 43 years, but the planners of them have all ended up losing what has become a strategic war of attrition.

The flat out lies that get told about this is just amazing.  The left has been pushing against oil for YEARS and that is what is causing the current situation, but they just will not take the blame for this.  It's like saying that keystone isn't getting built because the locals don't want it, that is just plain a lie, it's again caused by the policies of the left that pipelines are not getting built yet these fucks like the one above will flat out lie right to your face to make it seem as though they didn't cause the fucking problem, when in all honestly they are directly the cause.

Edited by racer254