Check your account email address ×

The 2017 Iron Dog Thread

8 hours ago, Wildboer said:

Yeah the traditional studs penetrate deeper, but there's roughly 2.5x as many points on the prestudded ones. The traction gap is smaller than most people think it is IMO. Are any teams running more than 2 per? Like a 144 stud setup?

I have a prestudded rip2. It's not close to a push thru studded track. It does offer some safety in icy corners but does not penetrate. That's the difference. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Anler said:

I have a prestudded rip2. It's not close to a push thru studded track. It does offer some safety in icy corners but does not penetrate. That's the difference. 

You should probly get a bigger front bumper and strap a pillow to yer ass before you go riding again .   :bc:

1 hour ago, ckf said:

It looks like the leaders have left Nome and are on their way toward the finish line.

Yep.  The first three teams are on the trail to White Mtn.

Work Times are approximate but here is what I know

Team 8 did 2.5 minutes of work in Nome.  They will leave Nome at 8am

Team 16 did 18.5 minutes of work in Nome. They will leave Nome at 8:01:33

Team 41 did 4.5 minutes of work in Nome. They will leave Nome at 8:24:34

That is the order the leaders left in.  The rest of the teams will begin leaving shortly.  Every year is a little different but the next few teams will leave on about 20-30 minute intervals.  After a few teams are on the trail they will shorten the departure intervals to about 10 minutes until all the teams are on the trail.  They want all the teams on the trail before Noon  The teams toward the back of the pack are over 9 hrs behind the leaders.  They will not make them weight 9 hours before they are allowed to leave Nome.  

• Like 1

Looks like something may have happened to Team 16.  They are definitely slow on the coast from Nome to Wt Mtn.  Team  8 left them behind and team 41 caught up quite a bit.  Gonna be interesting as these guys fly down the coast.  

I'm officially pulling for Cory and Ryan to pull it off this year.  IF their Cats can hold together they have a solid chance to win this thing.  Go Team 41

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Looks like something may have happened to Team 16.  They are definitely slow on the coast from Nome to Wt Mtn.  Team  8 left them behind and team 41 caught up quite a bit.  Gonna be interesting as these guys fly down the coast.  

I'm officially pulling for Cory and Ryan to pull it off this year.  IF their Cats can hold together they have a solid chance to win this thing.  Go Team 41

Geez that would be amazing for cat if tjey pulled it off. :bc:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Hahaha.  I'm pulling for Davis and Simon.  They just happen to be riding Cats...... :lol: 

Just having a Cat team finish is amazing and quite a feat! :bc: 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, farmereddie said:

were there some repairs to Team 4 ...

8 minutes and 8 seconds of work in Nome.  

Not sure why but it looks like team 4 is back in Nome.  I heard the broke an a-arm just after leaving Nome, Just what I heard.

Also Team 16 is having trouble.  They have been stopped in Elam for a while.  Team 41 and 8 are way ahead of them now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

What do they have left for layovers?

They have to take 20 hrs of LO between Nome and Tanana.  At Tanana everyone will hold up for a Saturday morning restart.  Tanana is about 700 miles from Nome.  On Saturday morning they will release the first handful of teams based on how far apart they were when they reached Tanana.  After about 2 hours they will release the rest of the teams on a 10 minute intervals.  The exact sequence and spacing will depend on how many teams are left in the race at that point.

The idea is for all the remaining teams to cross the finish line in Fairbanks between about 2pm and 5pm on Saturday.  Even if your course time is 20+ hours behind the leaders you will cross the finish line within a couple hours of the leader.  All the teams families will be in FBX for the finish.  Everyone will receive the same basic welcome at the finish line, even the teams that are over 20 hours behind.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ckf said:

Tracking is showing the 41 team leading :bc:

I think Team 8 is still leading.  Looks like they are about 8 minutes ahead of Team 41 as they left Koyuk.  There is no doubt that Team 41 has made up over 20 minutes on the leaders and we are just getting started.  Koyuk to Shaktoolik will be the real test to see if Davis/Simon can reel in Aklestad/Johnson.  Great racing for sure.  

• Like 2

Team 28 had a big get off too.  Broken handle bars and damaged steering post.  They are going to limp to Unalakleet for repairs.  

Lots of nasty crashes today.  The visibility is horrible with the storm on the coast.  So far 3 teams have knocked themselves out of contention by crashing.