Check your account email address ×

Why Russia can’t control the skies

19 minutes ago, Anler said:

Well the ghost of kyiv was a lie so the military analysis of some 20 year old YouTuber might not be very accurate. 

America spends trillions to defend against Russia? :lol: 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Their stuff is all junk. Less than half of the Migs India bought from Russia even fly. No spare parts. Broken supply chains. It's fucking laughable. 

Oh good. We should be done with them in 10 years or so. 

It is an old story that has been told for 70 years or more. The Russians have never been in the lead in terms of airpower or technology but the Russians and the brass at the Pentagon have been more than willing to let the public think this in order to spend more money. The story of the F15 and the fighter mafia is the best example of this. The Soviets made a plane called the Mig 25 Foxbat and it shocked the west with the stories of it's abilities. The Pentagon took these claims of performance and gave a special group almost unlimited control and money to make a plane that could surpass the claims of the Soviets and they ended doing just that. A few years afterwards a defecting soviet pilot landed one of the Soviet Mig 25s in Japan and when the Americans looked it over they could not believe what a complete POS the plane was. Even now 50 years later there are very few planes in the Russian air force that could be dominant over the F15 let alone the F22.  Russia is the paper tiger they have always been.  

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, Anler said:

Obviously nobody remembers the Clint Eastwood movie Firefox! 

Saw it in the the theater with my Pops at the Hawthorn mall if I remember correctly..:bc:

Edited by Rigid1

10 hours ago, Anler said:

I wonder if china has robots pumping out military hardware faster than we could blow it up by now. 

Jet engines is where China falls behind. The main difference between China and Russia currently is China is spending a good amount of money on R&D.

• Platinum Contributing Member
37 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Jet engines is where China falls behind. The main difference between China and Russia currently is China is spending a good amount of money on R&D.

Using stolen American tech I’m guessing.🤬

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Using stolen American tech I’m guessing.🤬

10 years ago the company I work for sold 4 brand new gas turbine generator packages to China. They are designed to be collapsed down into the enclosure so that they can be shipped by rail or oversized truck. One of our techs had spent months in China installing 2 of the 4 and when he arrived at the second site one of the two remaining units had been unpacked and meticulously disassembled. At this point I would say China 70/30 between espionage and their own R&D but they are spending money on home grown. Aviation is a funny game as you need the tribal knowledge that comes from having a strong mfg base and R&D programs even if you had all the data you need people to make it work.

• Like 1

I am thinking attrition could end up being a real problem for the Russians.   On this Confirmed list are two SU34s and two SU30s of which Russia has about 130 aircraft of each type.  Losing these front line planes could be unsustainable for Russia as a majority of these planes are necessary for the defense of the Russian home land which would limit the amount of planes that could be committed to Ukraine. I would think the loss of ten of each type would put Russia out of this war. The two Ka 52s is interesting as well as they represent the top of the line attack helicopter for the Russians.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

10 years ago the company I work for sold 4 brand new gas turbine generator packages to China. They are designed to be collapsed down into the enclosure so that they can be shipped by rail or oversized truck. One of our techs had spent months in China installing 2 of the 4 and when he arrived at the second site one of the two remaining units had been unpacked and meticulously disassembled. At this point I would say China 70/30 between espionage and their own R&D but they are spending money on home grown. Aviation is a funny game as you need the tribal knowledge that comes from having a strong mfg base and R&D programs even if you had all the data you need people to make it work.

China has been stealing and or buying the world's technology for the last couple decades. We haven't done shit about that. That should tell you everything you need to know. 

7 minutes ago, Anler said:

China has been stealing and or buying the world's technology for the last couple decades. We haven't done shit about that. That should tell you everything you need to know. 

They learned from America stealing European tech. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

They learned from America stealing European tech. 

Did they learn or was that the blueprint? Why do you suppose china goes by unmolested?

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Because big 401k's are fun. 

Hmmm. The west de-industrializes and moves away from carbon forms of energy. But china increases all of that. No sanctions. 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Hmmm. The west de-industrializes and moves away from carbon forms of energy. But china increases all of that. No sanctions. 

Like I said, big 401k's are a blast. Cheap Chinese labor rules.