Check your account email address ×

Does anyone here sharpen carbides?

Good luck with these... :lol:

I'm normally pretty fussy about my shit, but apparently I was trying to kill my baby brother last weekend by letting him ride on these.  At one point I let him hop on the limited use sled and he said 'wow, that one handles like a razor blade!'.

Oops 😬

Kinda embarrassed and ashamed of myself for not checking them after the early season rock bashing and low snow they were being abused on.  But, dad always said to let others learn from your own mistakes and eat your humble pie with a smile.  

IMG_20220212_141942844.jpg

IMG_20220212_141929922.jpg

IMG_20220212_141939000.jpg

IMG_20220212_142129234.jpg

I've got a sharpener I picked from Wahls years ago, I loaned it to a racer that wouldn't give it back until he fried the motor, the only time we ran sharpened carbides was the lake races, I was shocked how many people had no idea how to sharpen carbides.

Just now, airflite1 said:

I've got a sharpener I picked from Wahls years ago, I loaned it to a racer that wouldn't give it back until he fried the motor, the only time we ran sharpened carbides was the lake races, I was shocked how many people had no idea how to sharpen carbides.

The big thing with that is on a trail sled it is waste of time and energy. Once you drive across a road or frozen dirt it will knock the edge off. On a ice racer it works well. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

The big thing with that is on a trail sled it is waste of time and energy. Once you drive across a road or frozen dirt it will knock the edge off. On a ice racer it works well. 

I not only ground down the V, I made it disappear and turned the round bar flat.

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

I not only ground down the V, I made it disappear and turned the round bar flat.

Rotate it 90 degrees and you get the v back. Then sharpen it. You will be good for another 100,000 miles 

1 minute ago, Not greg b said:

Rotate it 90 degrees and you get the v back. Then sharpen it. You will be good for another 100,000 miles 

These were new the first time you rode it, a few thousand miles ago?  :lmao:

55 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I used to grind the whole bar to a v when i had a sharpener. Sold it a few years ago, wish i would've kept it 

4 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Good luck with these... :lol:

I'm normally pretty fussy about my shit, but apparently I was trying to kill my baby brother last weekend by letting him ride on these.  At one point I let him hop on the limited use sled and he said 'wow, that one handles like a razor blade!'.

Oops 😬

Kinda embarrassed and ashamed of myself for not checking them after the early season rock bashing and low snow they were being abused on.  But, dad always said to let others learn from your own mistakes and eat your humble pie with a smile.  

IMG_20220212_141942844.jpg

IMG_20220212_141929922.jpg

IMG_20220212_141939000.jpg

IMG_20220212_142129234.jpg

Jeez Louise I don't know how you rode with those.

My ZR I have fought a pull to the left for a while, more so with hard pack.  Made me not want to ride the sled, always fighting a pull with 9" carbides is lame.  I thought it was something in the rear but couldn't find anything wrong.  Shaper bars.  I've bent plenty of them but these ones weren't bent but in closer inspection the carbide has a bend in the host bar.  Put spare set on and it tracks neutral, I was pumped, now I love riding it again.

PXL_20220131_010517978.jpg

3 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Jeez Louise I don't know how you rode with those.

My ZR I have fought a pull to the left for a while, more so with hard pack.  Made me not want to ride the sled, always fighting a pull with 9" carbides is lame.  I thought it was something in the rear but couldn't find anything wrong.  Shaper bars.  I've bent plenty of them but these ones weren't bent but in closer inspection the carbide has a bend in the host bar.  Put spare set on and it tracks neutral, I was pumped, now I love riding it again.

PXL_20220131_010517978.jpg

with big harry balls apparently... 

I feel like one of those people we make fun of on Facebook, but I'm owning it like a boss.  :lol: