Check your account email address ×

Contractor files $2 million lawsuit against Trump for unpaid bills

Contractor files $2 million lawsuit against Trump for unpaid bills

By Max Greenwood - 01/25/17 01:10 PM EST 48

A Maryland-based electrical company is suing President Trump’s Washington, D.C. hotel for than $2 million, Politico reports.

AES Electrical, also called Freestate Electrical, alleged that its employees had to work “nonstop” to complete electrical and fire alarm systems before the hotel’s “soft opening” in September and its grand opening in October. It says it never received payment for its work. 

The lawsuit also argues that without Freestate, the real estate mogul would not have been able to hold an event at the hotel in September.

“At the time of the ‘soft opening,’ Donald J. Trump, President of Defendent, Trump Old Post Office, LLC, was a U.S. presidential candidate and the ‘soft opening’ had to occur to permit Mr. Trump’s nationally televised campaign event from the Hotel on September 16, 2016, which was to honor U.S. veterans,” the lawsuit says. “But for Freestate’s acceleration of work and performance of extra work on the project, this event would not have been able to occur.”

Freestate also noted that its work before the hotel’s “grand opening” on Oct. 26 was timed just before the Nov. 8 election in order to generate “positive press coverage.”

Freestate isn’t the first contractor to accuse Trump’s businesses of not paying the bills. Two other companies that worked on the Washington hotel — A&D Construction Inc. and plumbing company Joseph J. Magnolia, Inc. — filed liens for unpaid bills.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/316098-contractor-files-2-million-against-trump-for-unpaid-bills

56 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

bill disputes happen all the time in business not a big fucking deal and it's not like donnie sits there at the table at night and strokes the checks.  Plenty of legit bitches to have about the guy picking at shiny objects gets silly

For sure, this happens all the time in the private sector and I have never seen it not happen on municipal projects.  Worked on a project a couple of years ago, electric contractor bid won at 2 million, final bill was 5.  Many extras were legit, many weren't.  Customer considered it all part of the original scope and paid nothing more to the electrical contractor so the general had to deal with it.  I would bet they got more than half the extras.

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

No its not.  Its also not ok for them to fuck over their customers. 

Yep, have to see the details of the contract.   Quite possible the contractor simply got in over his head on what they promised.   Had to work OT to meet deadlines and now wants to sue because Trump is POTUS.  

Just now, Highmark said:

Yep, have to see the details of the contract.   Quite possible the contractor simply got in over his head on what they promised.   Had to work OT to meet deadlines and now wants to sue because Trump is POTUS.  

Quite possible Trumpco fucked him over. If I was a betting man looking at his screw many contractors in the past style I would say he was fucked by Trump.

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

That happens a lot.  Municipal projects I have worked on in the past even had penalty clauses for being late.

2 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Uday and Qusay are just running the companies right now, Trump hasn't sold them and made a big deal about not selling anything.

Yah he doesn't have to why the fuck would he :nuts:

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That happens a lot.  Municipal projects I have worked on in the past even had penalty clauses for being late.

:lmao: are they ever actually on schedule????? that is what never happens 

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

So you're admitting your previous post was alternative facts.

He isn't running his company his sons are they are the ones being sued you clown, they will resolve it, what is so hard to get about that FACT :flush:

48 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

so its OK to fuck over your contractors....check.

You clowns would defend him on any front

that's not what was said but you always interpret things your way anyways.  Let me repeat myself bigly  BILL DISPUTES HAPPEN ALL THE TIME IN BUSINESS

1 minute ago, Momorider said:

:lmao: are they ever actually on schedule????? that is what never happens 

Nope and not one the two dozen I worked on did not have contractors trying to go after extras.  The weasel clause in the bid specs was you are responsible for a complete functional system so the bid specs were really just a guide.:lol:

But hey lets put it all on Trump.

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Quite possible Trumpco fucked him over. If I was a betting man looking at his screw many contractors in the past style I would say he was fucked by Trump.

Possible and its possible he didn't.  

Hey the next time you're at the WH say hello to Don, Melania and Barron for us.  I never would have guess you were so close to him to have such intimate knowledge of how he does business.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Momorider said:

He isn't running his company his sons are they are the ones being sued you clown, they will resolve it, what is so hard to get about that FACT :flush:

The "Trump Organization" is being sued.  Trump owns it...figure it out momo.

1 minute ago, Momorider said:

I am sure IceDouchebag was OK when Paul Martin did the same with Canadian Steamship Lines, ie let his sons run it, except in Paul's case the Canadian government gave CSL over 300 million in untendered contracts and let them fly a flag of convenience to avoid Canadian labour rules.

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Nope and not one the two dozen I worked on did not have contractors trying to go after extras.  The weasel clause in the bid specs was you are responsible for a complete functional system so the bid specs were really just a guide.:lol:

But hey lets put it all on Trump.

There are always change orders and its usually allowed for in contingency actually its always the case. It takes a lot of effort in a complex job to have a complete design that is not going to have any change orders like you say its just expected :news:  I know even when doing design its like spend extra on the design and do a bunch more drawings and more detailed spec or just allow for extras during construction and get it out to tender now :) 

6 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I am sure IceDouchebag was OK when Paul Martin did the same with Canadian Steamship Lines, ie let his sons run it, except in Paul's case the Canadian government gave CSL over 300 million in untendered contracts and let them fly a flag of convenience to avoid Canadian labour rules.

:owned: he probably didn't have a clue actually 

3 minutes ago, Momorider said:

There are always change orders and its usually allowed for in contingency actually its always the case. It takes a lot of effort in a complex job to have a complete design that is not going to have any change orders like you say its just expected :news:  I know even when doing design its like spend extra on the design and do a bunch more drawings and more detailed spec or just allow for extras during construction and get it out to tender now :) 

Change orders or change in scope are different.  Most of those projects were greatly underbid just to get the work and then they would go after any and every extra they could possibly think of.  When you have multiple bidders we used to say, who is the sucker who got this one?   Most of the work we do today with consulting engineers (also generals) have what is called GMP (Guaranteed Maximum Price) and is usually expected at around 60% design review.  They are the ones who are paying for the mistakes, not the end customer.  But it is the customer who gets the lien if any.

We prefer working direct with the end users as there is rarely any questions regarding scope changes.