Check your account email address ×

Tuners wrenches

Just out loud roundtable non engine specific remarks…,Detonation can loosen a plug. So can’t the many that don’t realize ngk washers crush and thus install different from other plugs. Most vehicles/boats/sleds that i see with loose lugs have ngk’s.Install error I assume. 

Edited by CFM
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

2017 rmk 800 25xx mi 

So any of you seen or have any idea why the clutch side plug would come loose 3 times in 2 yrs and blow out the hole and strip the head today?

I would wonder if the threads in the head were defective in that side , did it ever get DET codes at these incidents? How’s the piston dome look??

2 minutes ago, HSR said:

I would wonder if the threads in the head were defective in that side , did it ever get DET codes at these incidents? How’s the piston dome look??

Have not pulled head yet . And did not have tools to look down plug hole where it was at . Will know this week after I tear it down  .

Just odd . But I talked with a couple guys who had said they had heard of the poo 800 doing that but did not know why. 

Just odd . 

27 minutes ago, CFM said:

No idea for ne.

Just out loud roundtable non engine specific remarks…,Detonation can loosen a plug. So can’t the many that don’t realize ngk washers crush and thus install different from other plugs. Most vehicles/boats/sleds that i see with loose lugs have ngk’s.Install error I assume. 

He said after the first time it happed out west 2 yrs ago he makes a point to check them after every trip.  This was a new set for the season but again same hole.  

I was thinking detonation but always same hole? Crank out of  index ? Doubt it and never seen one do that . But I guess if it was firing early or late it could? 

Cheep China alloy with a cheep Mexico casting ? 

I hate the odd shit even more than wiring gremlins . Well maby not lol it is a toss up 

49 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

Deto

But I know this guy always runs fresh 91 non oxi . And always the same one . Plugs in WY looked normal and plug today looked normal was not with at other event .

Will poss have more clues when head is yanked? 

Detonation comes to mind.  Possible that cylinder runs a little hotter due to coolant flow or it has a little higher compression or variances in injectors or any other number of reasons

12 hours ago, HSR said:

Could just be an issue of bad fuel at those occasions? 

possibly, but if this has happened several times, it either sees deto on a regular basis, or the threads are now damaged from the first time.
deto will rattle spark plugs out easily

12 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

But I know this guy always runs fresh 91 non oxi . And always the same one . Plugs in WY looked normal and plug today looked normal was not with at other event .

Will poss have more clues when head is yanked? 

"fresh" fuel and non eth dont guarantee anything.
do you have some good, close up pics of the plugs?

Just now, Tommcat said:

"fresh" fuel and non eth dont guarantee anything.
do you have some good, close up pics of the plugs?

No it was a wind blown field at dusk but they looked to be burning just fine. Will be tearing down when new parts get there . He is going to run it keep a close eye on it if it even start to loosen again it is traded in 

11 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Prolly at a minimum but, that doesn't fix the problem unless it was a one time, bad gas scenarios that damaged threads..and even then, I'd say no.  A good look at the tops of the slugs and examination/diagnosing of the plugs are more important I'd think.

• Like 1

Just now, Ez ryder said:

No it was a wind blown field at dusk but they looked to be burning just fine. Will be tearing down when new parts get there . He is going to run it keep a close eye on it if it even start to loosen again it is traded in 

unless shit goes real bad, you really cant read a plug by looking at it without a magnifying glass of some sort.

obviously, when the negative electrode is gone it's bad, but my eyes really need strong light and a zoom lens to look for any aluminum specs, and read the timing line.
and technically, to correctly read fueling, the plug needs to be cut apart.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

unless shit goes real bad, you really cant read a plug by looking at it without a magnifying glass of some sort.

obviously, when the negative electrode is gone it's bad, but my eyes really need strong light and a zoom lens to look for any aluminum specs, and read the timing line.
and technically, to correctly read fueling, the plug needs to be cut apart.

Like I said I gave it the in field look over nice and tan did not see any specks of alloy like when you melt or start to melt a piston.  But again just the 12 to 30 second inspection . Also all running same fuel . I know dose not matter but 2 sleds just like his with same fuel and one has ten thousand  shaved off his head 

Edited by Ez ryder

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Like I said I gave it the in field look over nice and tan did not see any specks of alloy like when you melt or start to melt a piston.  But again just the 12 to 30 second inspection . Also all running same fuel . I know dose not matter but 2 sleds just like his with same fuel and one has ten thousand  shaved off his head 

if everyone has the same fuel with no issues, that pretty much rules that out for me.

It's a poo 800, the fact that it runs at all means its a good one...

fire a timesert in it, and switch injectors from cylinder to cylinder.

If you want to get serious, a degree wheel, and piston stop will tell you if the pto crank pin is out of time with the mag side.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Prolly at a minimum but, that doesn't fix the problem unless it was a one time, bad gas scenarios that damaged threads..and even then, I'd say no.  A good look at the tops of the slugs and examination/diagnosing of the plugs are more important I'd think.

yeah, I wouldn't order one before a teardown but for $300 give or take it's cheap insurance.

5 hours ago, krom said:

It's a poo 800, the fact that it runs at all means its a good one...

fire a timesert in it, and switch injectors from cylinder to cylinder.

If you want to get serious, a degree wheel, and piston stop will tell you if the pto crank pin is out of time with the mag side.

good idea

5 hours ago, Tommcat said:

also an option, send me the injectors to test/clean

do you an ASNU unit?  not sure where the OP resides but if there's a fuel injection shop nearby, it's cheap insurance to run them on the stand.