Check your account email address ×

Politically bankrupt: Senate Republicans are happy for the US to default on its debt

Mainecat

Politically bankrupt: Senate Republicans are happy for the US to default on its debt

Journey with us, if you will, all the way back to August 2019. In a budget deal passed by Congress and signed by President Donald Trump, Washington suspended the U.S. debt limit for two years — two years in which Republicans refrained from pitching a fit every time the U.S. needed to borrow more money. 

And borrow we did, under an administration and Congress that slashed taxes by trillions while dramatically increasing federal spending, even before the COVID crisis hit. With aid of three separate increases to the debt ceiling, the federal debt soared by nearly $7.8 trillion during Trump’s four-year tenure — the third biggest increase relative to the size of the economy of any presidency in history (after Lincoln, who fought a civil war, and George W. Bush, who launched two foreign wars). 

It is therefore the purest form of chutzpah for Sen. Mitch McConnell and other Republicans who facilitated Trump’s reckless record to now lay down in the middle of the tracks and refuse to raise the government’s debt limit as a fiscal freight train barrels toward us, toying with America’s full faith and credit. 

“We will not support legislation that raises the debt limit,” quoth the Republican Senate leader, who hails from a state that benefits hugely from federal largesse. He and his fellow partisans have the gall to claim it is the social spending of Joe Biden and other Democrats that fueled the red-ink rise. In fact, 97% of the nation’s current debt was accrued before Biden took office. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/editorial-politically-bankrupt-senate-republicans-are-happy-for-the-us-to-default-on-its-debt/ar-AAOJm6I

The Republicans raised the debt ceiling EIGHTEEN TIMES for Reagan, THREE TIMES for Trump and pushed through a 7.8 TRILLION DOLLAR tax cut for mega-corporations and billionaires, but now will not raise the debt ceiling for President Biden because to do so would be "financially irresponsible"? 

14 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The Republicans raised the debt ceiling EIGHTEEN TIMES for Reagan, THREE TIMES for Trump and pushed through a 7.8 TRILLION DOLLAR tax cut for mega-corporations and billionaires, but now will not raise the debt ceiling for President Biden because to do so would be "financially irresponsible"? 

How many time did your beloved left raise it.  

I don’t care who does it spending must be cut 

• Like 1

Waiting for Maincats new thread on how the Dems new 3.5trillion spending  bill is actually $5 billion in 5 years and could add $10 trillion in ten years. See new Wallstreet Journal  for info.

Waiting……….

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CFM said:

Waiting for Maincats new thread on how the Dems new 3.5trillion spending  bill is actually $5 billion in 5 years and could add $10 trillion in ten years. See new Wallstreet Journal  for info.

Waiting……….

I’m waiting for you to wake up.

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

Do you guys even fuckin know what a debt ceiling is or why it was created?

I'm guessing you are clueless. Now go and Google debt ceiling.

Why don't you Google simpleton...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

If it defaults I heard that SS benefits stop. That’ll create some interesting effects on the economy. 

O i hope so . It is the exact kind of reset we desperately need 

Edited by Ez ryder