Check your account email address ×

Polaris kills Victory Motorcycle

scottyr

19 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

Too bad , they built a great bike . Looks like the Indian name will win  . But Polaris has a habit if doing this , PWC come to mind . Built a great PWC and then exit when the market flutter . 

A bit biased no. j/k.

Heard nothing but good things from those who ride them (Indian), but then like sleds there are many really really brand loyal.  

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

How long until that 3-wheeled Spyder ripoff thing is cancelled?  They must be losing their shirt on those.....

According to my BRP buddy, he said Spyders have sold very well for him until 2016.   They are welded to the floor right now at most BRP stores.  

Why anyone would buy a Polaris Slingshot boggles my mind?   For $30K, just buy a year old Mazda MX5 if you want a 4cyl side by side vehicle.  At least you drive it in the rain.  

2 hours ago, scottyr said:

According to my BRP buddy, he said Spyders have sold very well for him until 2016.   They are welded to the floor right now at most BRP stores.  

Why anyone would buy a Polaris Slingshot boggles my mind?   For $30K, just buy a year old Mazda MX5 if you want a 4cyl side by side vehicle.  At least you drive it in the rain.  

.......and not be forced to wear a helmet in what is essentially a car.

Men don't eat Quiche, Raspberry vinaigrette...... or drive Miatas. 

40 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Looks like BRP is buying Polaris.  Oh wait, this article is old ...... too bad it never happened. 

Could have pre-emptively halted the Fusion. 

Polaris deal.jpg

Better off a 440 L/C Rotax in the Indy chassis for 1980. Would have nailed the market. Instead BRP faithful were treated to more of the Buzzard line up..... Say no more......

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Looks like BRP is buying Polaris.  Oh wait, this article is old ...... too bad it never happened. 

Could have pre-emptively halted the Fusion. 

We could still be riding Leafers.

I had a Polaris poster hanging in the garage back in the day that said: "Glad we didn't Doo it"  Fred at AJ's had the same poster.

Ski Doo was dead in the water and tried to grab that Indy chassis,.....it took Doo another 23 years to figure it out.

Cool article, I remember it well, I mentioned it a fellow sledding buddy some time ago and he didn't believe me.  Good find Puzzler.

Edited by Poncho

Doo was the market leader at the time.  I doubt they wanted that slug of a chassis..... I'm sure they just wanted to buy up a competitor, and then wash it out....

The ol' McDonnel Douglas ploy....

Edited by Puzzleboy

14 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Doo was the market leader at the time.  I doubt they wanted that slug of a chassis..... I'm sure they just wanted to buy up a competitor, and then wash it out....

The ol' McDonnel Douglas ploy....

The 81 Indy had 10 times the handling of that clapped out 81 MX Lizzard.....lol first long travel, I remember that thing with a 40 hp 503 fan and about 2" of real front travel and maybe 4" on the back....they gave it a try so, I give them points, still took them 20 more years to come up with something workable.

Edited by Poncho

11 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Sorry Poncho, Doo had long travel suspension in 1981, 10".  Polarii rear travel was similar to an Elan's. 

I like the Indy in the background with the cobwebs all over it....

MX 2.jpg

Yes Quebec measurement......a real 10 cms, if you were lucky.....another Doo lie......funny that superior chassis and model lasted a year or two.....junk, as was the 40hp 503 leaf blower powerplant....what an embarrassment for Doo....the Indy chassis continued on for 25 years.....I think time tells the story.

and for the record....lose that creepy Avtar....weird shit