Check your account email address ×

Polaris kills Victory Motorcycle

scottyr

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Sorry Poncho, Doo had long travel suspension in 1981, 10".  Polarii rear travel was similar to an Elan's. 

I like the Indy in the background with the cobwebs all over it....

MX 2.jpg

Way to many moving parts to break or wear out. Lots of drag in that chassis almost felt like the early 4 strokes with engine braking. Not sure if the Buzzard could run a constant 65 mph..... Was the first sled to run twin carbide runners in a desperate attempt to make the " big girl " turn....

Engine braking?  Too many parts to break or wear out?  My current sled has WAY more IFS parts than an old MX.  And the rear was actually quite simple. 

The MX was only ever a FC..... except they did build a few 9500 MXs. 

65 mph would be ok for the little fanner!

MX article.jpg

Edited by Puzzleboy

2 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Engine braking?  Too many parts to break or wear out?  My current sled has WAY more IFS parts than an old MX.  And the rear was actually quite simple. 

The MX was only ever a FC..... except they did build a few 9500 MXs. 

65 mph would be ok for the little fanner!

MX article.jpg

Poor Puzzle,....your butt hurt is obvious...   Yep your current sled rear is more simple....since 1981 Ski dog has gotten way more simple...lol...

That MX wouldn't hit 50 down hill....my little TX340 used to kill those MX on the the trail and expecially the lake...lol....comedy....

Edited by Poncho

Oh, I believe it.  Until you hit a bump, and that 3/8" travel in that old Polaris slug of a skid threw you into the rhubarb.  The only way that little TX fanner would hit 60 was on your trailer on the way to the dealer.... which was likely quite often. 

But  Polaris did eventually come out with the Xtra 10 and 12........ 15 years later.  :)

6 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Oh, I believe it.  Until you hit a bump, and that 3/8" travel in that old Polaris slug of a skid threw you into the rhubarb.  The only way that little TX fanner would hit 60 was on your trailer on the way to the dealer.... which was likely quite often. 

But  Polaris did eventually come out with the Xtra 10 and 12........ 15 years later.  :)

Puzzleboy,

the TX 340 and TX440 were free air.  And they were pretty quick.  Faster then most our friends back in the day.

The Aollo was the fan cooled Polaris in 1980.

That was what our friends had on farm. TX 340 and Apollo 340.  

10 hours ago, Sksman said:

Puzzleboy,

the TX 340 and TX440 were free air.  And they were pretty quick.  Faster then most our friends back in the day.

SKS......I'm not sure if you have noticed but the Puzzler sometimes makes the odd mistake when talking about sleds and is out of his league on this one for sure.  Yep, TX's were free airs for sure and very quick as you say...that little free air TX340 was 48hp, TX 440 54 hp and the TXL 340 liquid 56 hp.  There were no fan cooled Doo's that would run with the TX340 especially not the sacked out leaf blower 503 Doo, and in that MX Lizzard chassis they were a wheezing sack of shit and very very slow, add that 10mm long travel rear and the MX Lizzard....was a goner before they debuted....

actually on a cold day my 79 TX340 would run with a 78 Invader liquid 340 until 60mph where the Invader would slightly pull away at top end, the free TX440 would out run it 9 of 10 times.....now the 440 Invader....no way......maybe Puzzle should dump the Yellow Belt special for an Invader......imagine that....

Edited by Poncho

10 hours ago, Sksman said:

Puzzleboy,

My dad had a new 79 Apollo 340 fan....they were 33hp...33.5hp to be exact.....basically the Apollo 340 superseded the SS340 Colt the Gemini superseded the SS250 Colt....they were 25hp.  My first new sled was a 77 SS340....

Free, fan...... air cooled regardless. 

I'd say that 340 Invader was running on one cylinder, if your 28hp TX could run with it.  Either that, or Poncho's old yellow moon landing bubble visor & metal flake helmet was letting in way too many TX fumes, that his memory has been affected. 

We'll call bullshit on that one.....

Edited by Puzzleboy

11 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Free, fan...... air cooled regardless. 

I'd say that 340 Invader was running on one cylinder, if your 28hp TX could run with it.  Either that, or Poncho's old yellow moon landing bubble visor & metal flake helmet was letting in way too many TX fumes, that his memory has been affected. 

We'll call bullshit on that one.....

One of our friends had a Centurion.  500 triple.  

He would probably still have it if someone else didnt steel it one night.

He used to take it down to Harbour in Beaverton when the fast sleds were dragging and bragging and keep everyone honest.

That was the fastest sled around.  

In the day of a 600 being a big sled.  

10 hours ago, bladefever said:

This is what it was all about. The secret to better performance. Changes were made to constantly improve durability and performance......

Early Polaris closed faced clutch

images.jpg

1436642_2.jpg

Had one or two of those....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sksman said:

One of our friends had a Centurion.  500 triple.  

He would probably still have it if someone else didnt steel it one night.

He used to take it down to Harbour in Beaverton when the fast sleds were dragging and bragging and keep everyone honest.

That was the fastest sled around.  

In the day of a 600 being a big sled.  

....Glen....