Check your account email address ×

*****Official F7BENS NASCAR 2023 Thread*****

• Platinum Contributing Member
20 minutes ago, ckf said:

Final practice for the Pocono 400 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Pocono Raceway is over, after 55 scheduled minutes, the top five, slowest and notes:
#1-Busch 172.712
#2-Keselowski 171.798
#42-Larson 171.612
#17-Stenhouse, Jr. 171.018
#18-Busch 170.849
Slowest: #00-Cassill 163.890 & #52-Yeley 163.313
Most laps run: #4-Harvick, 32 laps.
Best 10 consecutive lap avg (of 17 drivers): #18-Busch, 170.042 mph.
Notes: #95-DiBenedetto will start at the rear on Sunday after the team had to change an engine.

Kurt has been running well this season.....amazing that the field fillers are almost 10 mph slower. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Kurt has been running well this season.....amazing that the field fillers are almost 10 mph slower. 

I'd like to see him win some races. I think it was just a 1 year deal.

• Like 1

A NASCAR Driver on Why You Have to Cheat to Win

If you’ve followed NASCAR for any amount of time, you’ll know that the sport has a bit of a problem with cheating. It’s as much a part of NASCAR as milk is to the Indy 500. But driver Clint Bowyers is now claiming that the new rules basically require you to cheat to even have a modicum of success.

The NASCAR rules are designed with a little wiggle room. There’s space for interpretation—but it can get pretty dicey when it comes to deciding if it’s actually a spark of genius or just straight-up cheating. You basically have to dance on a tightrope and hope no one notices if you fall off.

In a recent interview with The Athletic, Bowyer shed some light on why cheating isn’t actually a bad thing in the NASCAR world:

That’s the craziest thing about it — it is cheating, right? It’s whatever. But it’s what they do for a living. If they don’t, you cannot have success. If you’re not pushing over the line — not to the line, but over the line — you’re going to be behind somebody that is willing to do that.

It’s such a tricky thing, right? You want a fair and even playing field, and I feel like I do have that. Every time I get on a racetrack, I don’t feel like somebody’s completely out of bounds. And when they are, I think it shows up very obvious. That being said, I think that’s some of the more interesting, neat things about our sport, is those guys’ ability to outfox Johnny Law.

That’s literally what they’re doing. But that’s what they get paid to do, and they’re all extremely intelligent people, too. This isn’t like ol’ Joe Blow off the street, uneducated nothing. They have massive amounts of experience doing this. There are highly educated people that are going to bat. And the sanctioning body is trying to keep up with these boys. That’s a tall order.

It’s an interesting view on something that most of us see as a straight-up, objectively bad. Cheating is cheating—that’s all there is to it, right?

Not in NASCAR. You’re basically supposed to bend the rules. This is an entirely specific niche reference, but it’s like that episode of Naruto with the written test of the Chunin Exam (please do not make fun of me, I was only into this show when I was an impressionable 12-year-old with very few friends)—the only way to pass is to use your super-specialized ninja skills to cheat off everyone around you.

Despite the fact that NASCAR promised to start doing the very obvious thing by disqualifying cheaters this season, we have yet to see a winner be disqualified for cheating. We have, however, seen post-race infractions announced immediately after the race instead of, y’know, a few days later, when no one cares anymore.

• Like 1

Kurt Busch does only have a one year deal . Rumor is he does have a option for a contract extension based on his performance.  Also  he is rumored to go to Petty if they leave Chevy again.  The low buck teams are vastly slower because of the francecar engine lease programs , well used left over shit. And the cars are older hand - me - downs  or wrecked repaired from other teams / defunct teams. Unless the top twenty five cars crash out in a pile , then they just might have a chance. If not it is a start and park deal for basic money.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Byron , bower , truex

Still going wide open I see. There is prize $$$ for the leader at the halfway point. Go get you some coin :thumb:

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Jones, Suarez, Menard

Does Jones go to the rear? I saw something about his car cheif or something was suspended from the race from inspection issues.

Just now, ckf said:

Still going wide open I see. There is prize $$$ for the leader at the halfway point. Go get you some coin :thumb:

Does Jones go to the rear? I saw something about his car cheif or something was suspended from the race from inspection issues.

Damn I don't know...I forgot to check Jayski..thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I don't think they should be fining/penalizing teams for failing pre-qualifying tech unless it is a repeated safety violation.  

Agreed. The teams are given a gray area to work with. They need to be able to push the limits to be competitive.

• Like 1

What do you guys think of this Byron kid? I think it's impressive how fast he has adapted in each series. Last year was a tough year at HMS for all of the guys. As soon as they put a competitive car under him he starts grabbing poles and running up front more.

9 minutes ago, ckf said:

What do you guys think of this Byron kid? I think it's impressive how fast he has adapted in each series. Last year was a tough year at HMS for all of the guys. As soon as they put a competitive car under him he starts grabbing poles and running up front more.

Super talented it appears...obviously very religious as evidenced by his attendance/sponsorship from Liberty University. He seems pretty vanilla but then again a lot of the kids coming up seem that way.

I went to Madison Int'l Speedway Friday night with my father to watch Super Late Models. Damn good racing. Asphalt

Saturday Night my father and I took my 2 boys to watch the weekly show at Beaver Dam Raceway, dirt. Another good show.

If you guys get bored on a weekend, try taking in a local racetrack. Its good entertainment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Legend said:

I went to Madison Int'l Speedway Friday night with my father to watch Super Late Models. Damn good racing. Asphalt

Saturday Night my father and I took my 2 boys to watch the weekly show at Beaver Dam Raceway, dirt. Another good show.

If you guys get bored on a weekend, try taking in a local racetrack. Its good entertainment.

Preferably one with IMCA modifieds. :wind:

:pc:

:stirthepot:

2 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Preferably one with IMCA modifieds. :wind:

:pc:

:stirthepot:

Yeah I dont know what the deal is at BD. They arent IMCA, but apparently their rule book is IMCA. I would think you'd draw from a much larger base is you had IMCA points...

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

affirmative action doesn't work for drivers,  look at Danica as example #1 of that.

Well he's up to 12th now so who knows.....