Check your account email address ×

California and their energy problems.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/with-its-power-grid-under-pressure-california-asks-residents-to-avoid-charging-electric-vehicles_3870841.html?utm_campaign=socialshare_twitter&utm_source=twitter.com&fbclid=IwAR2FSShotq1-G1y1sDtCKRTCcJowHhSU-SC6C5vr9Y41zDQVjdOXVCScJ7s

Amid a West Coast heat wave that includes triple-digit temperatures, California’s power grid operators have called on residents to not use as much electricity so as to put less strain on the state’s beleaguered grid.

In the past week, the California Independent System Operator (ISO) told residents several times to voluntarily conserve energy, including asking them on social media to stop charging their electric vehicles (EVs) during peak usage times. The operator also warned users to “[avoid] use of large appliances and turning off extra lights.”

“This usually happens in the evening hours when solar generation is going offline and consumers are returning home and switching on air conditioners, lights, and appliances,” wrote the ISO.

And on June 18, the California Flex Alert Twitter page wrote that “now is the perfect time to do a load of laundry,” and urged residents to “remember to use major appliances, charge cars and devices before #FlexAlert begins at 6 p.m. today.”

It comes as the federal government and certain state governments—including California’s—have pushed to convert their respective fleets to electric vehicles. President Joe Biden, who was seen in May in a photo-op driving an electric version of the Ford 150, earlier this year issued an executive order and promised some $174 billion into the electric vehicles market.

And California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, last fall announced he would set 2035 as a target date for ending the sale of petroleum-powered vehicles in the state.

Newsom, at the time, predicted that “zero-emission vehicles will almost certainly be cheaper and better than the traditional fossil fuel powered car” in 15 years.

However, amid the push, critics have suggested that if there are too many electric vehicles in use, it could potentially put a strain on state power grids and utilities.

Patty Monahan, the lead commissioner on transportation at the California Energy Commission, said that residents should choose to charge their electric vehicles at different times to avoid overloading the power grid.

“Charging behaviors matter when it comes to California grid goals,” she told Newsweek. “By incentivizing, primarily through rates, charging behaviors that capitalize on when renewable energy is being generated—we basically have a win for the grid, and we have a win for the drivers in terms of reduced rates. Rates are a climate strategy, and California plans on using rates to help drive the charging behaviors that are going to help the state electrify transportation while cutting carbon from the grid and saving ratepayers and drivers money.”

Matthew Moniot, a researcher with the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, noted if the state also increasingly relies on solar and wind power, that could pose an even more daunting challenge for power grid operators. Speaking to Newsweek, he said that less energy is produced overnight—when many electric vehicle owners charge their cars—by solar and wind.

More solar and wind power generation instead of traditional power sources, he added, will impact “how much can we move what’s currently overnight charging to be during the daytime hours, when generation may be more excessive,” Moniot said.

• Gold Member

During those hours of peak demand I make pretty much all the electricity I need for the most part with 100 plus temps, central air set to 67, and a PHEV that gets plugged in at 8:00.  I pull very minimal power from the grid during peak hours.

this is mostly from 7.2 kwh west facing array….  My East array isn’t doing much at that time.   After 9:00 I’m making under 900 whs and it dies off fast but outside the peak useage.  But for most of the peak time I am lessening the strain on grid strain by producing more then I need which is less electricity needed on the transmission lines.

A97BEA1D-E41A-4A6A-A018-8B1AB0C21E69.thumb.png.3af002c07ffe32979b040cf6a5715fba.png

BBEC4B40-CB03-4B10-92FE-A7D2FAF46244.thumb.png.2761e7edd20ce4d7ab160e219f187699.png

Edited by BOHICA

• Platinum Contributing Member
24 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

6pm-9pm…. https://www.flexalert.org/press-releases

Residential Solar is perfect for preventing this and lessening the strain on the grid during those hours in the summer

I keep looking into the Tesla solar shingles.   They have a good match where you can't tell the difference between the generating and non-generating ones.  I will seriously consider this when the time comes for a new roof. 

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I keep looking into the Tesla solar shingles.   They have a good match where you can't tell the difference between the generating and non-generating ones.  I will seriously consider this when the time comes for a new roof. 

Have you looked in to insurance if you have them ? I have no idea what the efects are that us why I am asking . I know a lot of them won't even insure a shake roof no matter what part of the countery you are in . 

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Have you looked in to insurance if you have them ? I have no idea what the efects are that us why I am asking . I know a lot of them won't even insure a shake roof no matter what part of the countery you are in . 

Yes....no issues.  

• Gold Member
36 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Can they tell each shingles output if one was to go bad? I briefly looked into the shingles but they don’t let ya DIY it and the cost is pretty astronomical.

Edited by BOHICA

6 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Can they tell each shingles output if one was to go bad? I briefly looked into the shingles but they don’t let ya DIY it and the cost is pretty astronomical.

Not sure but I would assume that would be needed.  Its a good 10+ years before I will need them so I'm sure the tech will come a long way before then. 

If I sell back to the provider I lose my GT rate so likely I'd only size the system for reduced load use or have their battery systems to store off peak.   My peak isn't during high solar output. 

Edited by Highmark

• Gold Member
22 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not sure but I would assume that would be needed.  Its a good 10+ years before I will need them so I'm sure the tech will come a long way before then. 

If I sell back to the provider I lose my GT rate so likely I'd only size the system for reduced load use or have their battery systems to store off peak.   My peak isn't during high solar output. 

If ya have time of use charges solar/battery back up makes a bunch of sense.  
In Cali most utility rates are crazy expensive during afternoons in the summer….  Anybody with any intelligence will set their Tesla’s to charge outside those hours already.  West facing arrays save those with solar massive amounts on electricity cost.  Those that don’t have solar definitely feel the pain out there.

Edited by BOHICA